Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Profile Scale

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
jaianth
3721 Views, 8 Replies

Profile Scale

Dear All,

I was a user of MX roads, recently switched to civil 3d. We used to produce our profile in our customized scale of Horizantal scale=1:2500 and vertical scale=1:250, but during the production of profile view vertical scale can be set to 250 but the horizantal scale is fixed default as defined in the drawing setting (Annotative scale) even if i set the annotative scale as 2500 only the annotation text is scaled not the profile view. Any help is deeply appreciated.

Generated profile in Mx Roads as per our company standards is attached for your reference ( I would like to have the profile generated in the same way as in the attached drawing).

Regards,

Jayanth

Jayanth M
India-Highway Design engineer
AutoCAD Civil 3d 2012
i5-2.7 Ghz, Windows 7 Professional
4GB RAM.
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: jaianth

Hi,

create a layout, within the layout create a viewport, within the viewport zoom to your profile-view, set the viewport-scale to 1:2500 and run command _REGEN (so all labeling get's updated to that scale) .... that's the way to set the horizontal scale for plotting.

To have now a vertical scale set to 1:250 you need to edit your profileview-style ==> set the vertical exaggeration to 10 ...finished.

HTH, good luck, - alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 9
jaianth
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Dear Alfred,

That Might have been possible if i have only one profile view. But I would be creating multiple profile view for 1 KM length each and the total length of my alignment is around 40 Kms. It becomes laborious job to do that for every profile view. Please suggest any other alternative.

Regards,

Jayanth M

Jayanth M
AutoCAD Civil 3d 2012
4GB RAM.
Message 4 of 9
wfberry

It appears that you need some training for Civil 3D.  Perhaps if you opened the Tutorials and ran through them would give you a head start.  Everything in Civil 3D has Styles.  You only need to set up one Style for profiles that have the same requirements.  You can change the style of an existing profile with nearly one click.

Bill

Windows 7 x 64 Professional
Nvidia GeForce 9800 & 8500
12 GB Ram
i7 965 @ 3.20 GHz
Corsair Force 240 GB SSD
Infrastructure Suite 2014

Message 5 of 9
jaianth
in reply to: wfberry

Dear Sir,

I just switched to Civil 3d from Mx Roads, still learning about the Object styles, label styles etc etc. But  I was stuck at this juncture of fixing up Horizantal scale (even wen i fix it up 1:2500) still wen i measure the horizantal distance it is 1:1. I'm lost please help.

Regards,

Jayanth

Jayanth M
AutoCAD Civil 3d 2012
4GB RAM.
Message 6 of 9
john.mckenzie

you can work the profile in modelspace with your annotation scale set to 1:2500. set your vertical exaggeration in the style and set ltscale to 1 psltscale to 1 and msltscale to 1. The key ones being annotation scale to 1:2500 and msltsscale to 1.

things will look as though they would after the cut sheets are set up. You can design and label to your hearts content.

the only downfall to creating all entities this way is that you have to have an idea of where your sheet limits are going to fall or you risk redoing some annotation later.

Message 7 of 9
wfberry

Jayanth:

Since I am in the USA and use primarily non-metric plans.  I know absolutely nothing about MX Roads.  Your last statement said it was 1:1 which is perfectly normal.  All Autocad drawings are in real distance measurements, you plot to the scale.  I have seen a lot of the type of profiles you are using but have never used that method in my area.  I rather doubt that anyone in the continental US has this type of profile with all these features. Your needs are common methods in areas like Australia and other non-USA countries.

I can only assume that you are working for a company.  If they have not furnished you with a company wide template for you to use in Civil 3D you are not going to be very proficient for some time.  This is just the facts, perhaps someone with knowledge in your part of the world can be of some help.  It is still going to be a struggle without some type of training.

Primarily this newsgroup is for problems with the program, but there should be some knowledge of the program by the user.

Bill

Message 8 of 9
jaianth
in reply to: wfberry

Hi,

I'm working in Indian subcontinent and the format is standardized from all the authorities . I think some one who has knowledge about Indian standards would come to help. Please clarify that is this forum a place only for developers?????, if yes then I'm in wrong place sorry for that ; but from my understanding and the visualising the queries in the forum it looks like most of them are real time problems faced by civil engineers (end user) . Programmers/developers excuse;;;; real time civil engineers please help out.

Regards,

Jayanth

Jayanth M
AutoCAD Civil 3d 2012
4GB RAM.
Message 9 of 9
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> Please clarify that is this forum a place only for developers?????, if yes then I'm in wrong place

No, that is not the forum for Civil3D application development, here is the forum for questions about working with Civil3D.

To your primary questions:

>> still wen i measure the horizantal distance it is 1:1

Yep, you are speaking about profileview in the modelspace ==> yes, the horizontal scale is 1:1 and can't be changed, just the vertical exaggeration might be another value than 1 (in your case as you speak about 2500:250 it's 10).

The global scaling 1:2500 is defined by the viewport in the layout as you plot from the layout and not from the modelspace. And setting the viewport to the scale 1:2500 + the vertical exaggeration of your profileview(-style) to 10 results in 2500:250 on the paper.

>> But I would be creating multiple profile view for 1 KM length each and the total length

>> of my alignment is around 40 Kms. It becomes laborious job to do that for every profile

>> view. Please suggest any other alternative.

Prepare one profileview for the first station, define it's style and the labeling.

Prepare one layout with one viewport as described above, including the pagesetup so you have defined also your plotter settings, titleblock, border, ....

Now use command _AECCCREATEMULTIPLEPROFILEVIEW to create multiple profiles for one alignment using your 1000m lenght for each in one step. Here you should take care to use the style and labeling adjusted in your previous profileview! In the last page of that dialog use an X-Distance of 1000 (between 2 profileviews) and make sure it generates just one line, but muliple columns.

The next step is to copy your first layout 40 times. The first layout is already finished, activate the second layout, enter the viewport, run command _-PAN with the direction X=-2000 ==> so you see now the second profileview .... activate layout 3, _-PAN for X=-4000 ==> you see the third profileview ...... you have finished that in minutes (without development)

To get them now to your plotter: select the layouts for profileview1 to profileview40 ==> right click ==> publish ==> finished.

If your workstation is strong enough and the data not too complex you might be faster running that procedure than I needed to write this post.

Good luck, - alfred -

PS: every change from one system to another is more complex than to learn something new from scratch, changing from MX to Civil3D is such a thing that needs "to forget the past and make your brain clean for the future"! As long as you think in comparations like "MX did it THAT way ... what is THAT way in Civil3D" it's quite difficult to get familiar with the new processes. Anyway, I wish you the best!

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
(not an Autodesk consultant)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report