Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Profile not shown properly in Xref

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
morgeny
962 Views, 14 Replies

Profile not shown properly in Xref

Hello,

I have a DWG file created in Civil 3D 2011, and it is Xrefed in another file created in Civil 3D 2013. The profile in the first file shows properly when Xrefed, actually everything is fine until the 2013 version file is saved as a 2011 version. The problem is the profile does not show when Xrefed, only some rectangles appear where the profile is supposed to be. I have no idea what causes the problem, really need some help.

Thanks!
Xiangyu

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: morgeny

Hi,

what happens if you open the 2011-DWG directly with Civil3D2013? Does the profile then look correct or also defect?

>> until the 2013 version file is saved as a 2011 version

I'm not sure how you mean that, the SAVEAS command can't save anything in a 2011-format, only 2010 or 2013, and even that should be avoided as all Civil3D-objects are not working when opening then in any Civil3D 2012 or earlier.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 15
morgeny
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Thank you for the reply.

The file in 2013 is saved as 2010, this file does not have any Civil 3D objects. The profile is in the 2011 file, and I did not make any changes to it.

I did not try opening the 2010 file in Civil 3D 2013. What does it mean  if the profile shows properly when the 2011 file is opened by Civil 3D 2013?

Message 4 of 15
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

wow, let's speak with names to know what you did (how I understood that) and what you can try.

You have a file A.DWG ... that is a drawing created by Civil3D 2011 containing a profile, if you open that in Civil3D 2011 all looks ok (I assume that you have verified that).

You have a second file B.DWG that was created in Civil 3D 2013, you referenced the A.DWG into the modelspace of this drawing

You have saved B.DWG back to 2010 format ==> let's name it B2010.DWG

You open that V2010.DWG now with what software? AutoCAD 2010, 2011 or Civil3D 2011 or 2013 or ...?

If you start now Civil3D 2011, create a new drawing and try to reference A.DWG ... do you see now the profile from the XRef`? If not I guess the A.DWG is already "infected from AEC-objects from 2013". The next step would be to open the A.DWG in Civil3D 2011 and check the drawing (including running _AUDIT command ... PLUS: select the profile and check, if Civi3D recognizes the profile as correct object.

Let's know how these things worked.

>> The file in 2013 is saved as 2010, this file does not have any Civil 3D objects.

Just for information: at the moment you open any drawing with Civil3D, it has internal CIvil3D objects and informations, even if you don't create C3D-points or C3D-surfaces or any other C3D-objects.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 5 of 15
morgeny

"You open that V2010.DWG now with what software? AutoCAD 2010, 2011 or Civil3D 2011 or 2013 or ...?"

I opened V2010.DWG with Civil 3D 2011, and the profile not shown properly.

"The next step would be to open the A.DWG in Civil3D 2011 and check the drawing"

I checked it last Friday, A.DWG shows the profile properly.

"If you start now Civil3D 2011, create a new drawing and try to reference A.DWG ... do you see now the profile from the XRef`?"

This will have to wait till tomorrow. If the new drawing shows the profile properly? What should I do next?

Thanks a lot!

Xiangyu

Message 6 of 15
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> If the new drawing shows the profile properly? What should I do next?

Then take your drawing you saved from C3D2013, remove the reference and attach it again as new one.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 7 of 15
morgeny

Just that simple? Remove and attach again. So the Xref processes in Civil 2011 and 2013 are different? and that causes the problem?

Thanks a lot!

Xiangyu

Message 8 of 15
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

it's one option of many, but need to be tried for going on to isolate the problem.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 9 of 15
morgeny

Thank you!

I will try it on Monday and tell you if it works.

Thanks again,

Xiangyu

Message 10 of 15
morgeny

It does not work. The profile does not show after I detach and attach again.

Thanks,

Xiangyu

Message 11 of 15
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

then open the 2011-drawing with Civil3D 2011 ... does that show all data correctly`?

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 12 of 15
morgeny

The 2011 file with the profile can be opened in Civil 3D 2011 and shows everything. The profile is not visible only when this file is Xrefed by the file which was 2013 and then saved as 2011. No problem when it is Xrefed by a new 2011 file.

I have another question about Xref civil 3D surface. I used to be able to lable the surface of an Xref file, like showing spot elevation. But I did not know what I have done, but now the surface is not availble when I try to lable it. Besides, all the layers of that Xref file are gone in layer manager.

Thanks,

Xiangyu

Message 13 of 15
troma

Do you get the message "All Civil commands have been disabled" when you open the 2013 drawing in 2011?

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 14 of 15
morgeny
in reply to: troma

Yes, I got the message saying Civil commands are disabled. Is that the reason why the profile does not show?

Thanks,

Xiangyu

Message 15 of 15
troma

I imagine this is the root of many problems. I've never tried to do much of anything (certainly not any C3D work) in a drawing with that warning, so I don't know the specifics of what may or may not be affected. For example, I wouldn't have though it would mess up your layer manager, but I guess it's possible.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report