Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Profile not found in Prospector

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
ball5169
1118 Views, 7 Replies

Profile not found in Prospector

i created a profile by layout in an existing profile view and it will not show up in prospector view.  I also cannot turn the profile off in the profile view because it's not in the profile list when i go to profile view properties.  I have multiple profiles, profile views, alignments etc.  I cannot find it anywhere in toolspace, but i can select in model space and edit.  Any Ideas???

C3D 2014
Intel Xeon 3.7 GHz
16 GB Ram
Win 7-64 bit
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
troma
in reply to: ball5169

Have you tried:
Close the drawing and reopen?
Recover the drawing?
Audit the drawing?
Close the program and start it again?

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 3 of 8
ball5169
in reply to: troma

Tried all of the above.  Funny thing is i can create profiles in other profile views associated with other alignments and everything works fine.  I'm beginning to think there's a problem with the profile view i'm trying to create a profile in???

C3D 2014
Intel Xeon 3.7 GHz
16 GB Ram
Win 7-64 bit
Message 4 of 8
ball5169

Finally figured it out.  The layer the parent alignment was on was locked.  Autodesk needs a warning letting user know that the parent alignment layer is locked.  Shouldn't even be able to create a profile if the alignments layer is locked!!

C3D 2014
Intel Xeon 3.7 GHz
16 GB Ram
Win 7-64 bit
Message 5 of 8
troma

Well done. Good sluething.
There are a million things that C3D should warn you about or not let happen, but instead allows you to go on your merry way only to cut you off rather rudely later on.

Mark Green

Message 6 of 8
john.mckenzie

I find that locking layers causes many issues within C3d.

I avoid it at all costs.

I use a different methodology to control my layers so that I do not have to lock them.

I use freeze thaw for what I call permanent control (for lack of a better term) or plottable control of layers.

I use on off for temporary working on the fly control of layers.

this allows me to avoid locking layers.

On asterik gets me to a plottable state and I can turn on and off to my hearts content while working and not bother with locking.

Locking is nice to avoid inadvertent selection. But I find the baggage of using locked layers unacceptable with Civil3d so I avoid it like the plague.

Message 7 of 8
troma
in reply to: john.mckenzie

I agree with just about all of that, and my methods are very similar regarding 'permanent' and 'temporary' layer visibility.
The only layer we keep locked is the one the x-ref is on. This prevents inadvertently moving it by drag-n-drop with the DROPGEOM command.

Mark Green

Message 8 of 8
john.mckenzie

good point about xref layer.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report