Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Profile Line and Band Text shift in Viewport

22 REPLIES 22
SOLVED
Message 1 of 23
autodesk
6583 Views, 22 Replies

Profile Line and Band Text shift in Viewport

We are using Civil 3D 2010, Version 4.1 and it is being used on both WinXP and Win7.

This is an issue that has been coming up at different times with profile views and them shifting when viewed from our viewports in our layout tab.  It looks correct in the model space.  But it shifts to the right 10' in the layout tab.  We have 7 tabs in this drawing.  I have looked through all of the profile view settings and it does not seem like any of these are the issue.  I created a new viewport in the same tab and received the same shift to the right.  I then created a new tab in the same drawing (not copied from the one that has the issue), created a new viewport, and the shift is not there.  The PSLTSCALE, MSLTSCALE, and LTSCALE are all set to 1 in all of th tabs.

Woudl there be a layout tab setting that is causing this?  Or does anyone have any other ideas/suggestions?  This is happening on all of our machines with this drawing so I know it is not a specific user/machine issue.  I have attached a .pdf showing the three cases described above if that were to provide any additional insight for anyone.

Thanks,

Andrew Roberts

22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
SethHall
in reply to: autodesk

Hi aroberts-

On this layout tab are there multiple viewports set to different scales? If so try making each viewport active individually and typing the REGEN command and see if that helps.

Additionally if this is only happening in one drawing, it may be this specific layout tab has become corrupted. Do you get the correct results if you recreate this layout tab?

Hope this helps!

Seth Hall
Product Owner
Model Builder
Message 3 of 23
autodesk
in reply to: SethHall

There are multiple viewports, but they are all at the same scale.

I tried the REGEN in the window, and it is working.  Is there a reason why this works versus doing a REGENALL?  I figured that doing a REGENALL would essentially be doing the same thing, but for all windows at one time.  Also, it seems to revert back when I switch between viewports and so I am wondering if this will be an issue when it comes time to plot using either Sheet Set or Publish.

It is not a single drawing issue as this has happened before in our office on various machines.  The only thing I could think of is there may be an issue with our template?  If I copy the layout tab, I get the same result, but if I create a new layout tab, then I get the correct results.

Thanks

Message 4 of 23
SethHall

The suggestion of using REGEN command in each viewport came from a previous customer's case I had been working, and I thought I would pass it along to see if it would help in your situation. Glad to see it has.

Not being aware of the underlying cause, unfortunately I can't offer a comment as to why REGEN and REGENALL produces different results. Development is currently having a closer look into this issue.

Additionally since this does not occur when you create a new layout tab, I would not necessarily rule out your template as a possible cause of the issue. You may want to use one of Civil 3D's stock templates and see if you get the same result.

Seth Hall
Product Owner
Model Builder
Message 5 of 23
autodesk

Thanks again for the help!

Message 6 of 23
andrewpuller3811

I find it happens when you have multiple viewports on the one layout and they are different scales.

Civil 3d seems to regen the profile objects in all viewports no matter what the scale based on the scale of one viewport only.

All the viewports on a layout don't have to show profiles, just one is enough.

If a post provides a fix for your issue, click on "Accept as Solution" to help other users find solutions to problems they might have that are similar to yours.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit
Intel core i7 11800 @ 2.30 GHz with 32GB Ram
Civil 3d 2021
Message 7 of 23
RickCarle-PE

I just experienced this issue in Civil 3D 2011 and I also checked in 2012.  The problem still exists when you have multiple viewports with different scales.  Activate the profile view and REGEN.  Do not do a REGENALL (REA).  You have to do this each time you open the drawing. 

Message 8 of 23
mu1166

We have been experiencing this problem also.  Have there been any fixes for this? Or work arounds?

Message 9 of 23
jjkain

The profiles shift on sheets where multiple viewports with more than one scale are used. On the last project I created an image (JPG) of the correct profile in modelspace, then attached the image in paperspace in order to plot the profile correct. It's makes me mad when I have to do work arounds on glitches that have been around for a couple releases. I'd be willing to be that problem still exists in Civil 3D release 13 as well.

Message 10 of 23
CADmgrMike

We have this same issue using C3D 2012 and I can recreate it two separate ways.

1. Having multiple viewports of different scales on one layout will cause it.

2. It also happens for us if we create the profile view in the sheet drawing and then create a surface profile from a data referenced surface.

Be advised if you print directly from SSM, then the profile will be shifted. You have to physically open each drawing and regen the viewport, then print.

We have a support case open with Autodesk, but who knows how long it will take for a fix.

It doesn't seem to happen if you make a profile view base drawing, do all of your data referencing there, then xref that drawing into each of your sheets. Takes a bit more time, but at least we can trust it. 🙂

Mike Porter
https://provostandpritchard.com/
Message 11 of 23
RickCarle-PE
in reply to: CADmgrMike

Yes, we still have the issue. However, Output/Batch Plot can be trusted and does print correctly for us. [Description: signature 96dpi] Rick Carle, P.E. Director of Technology [Description: slice1][Description: slice2][Description: slice3][Description: slice4][Description: slice6]
Message 12 of 23
taneum
in reply to: RickCarle-PE

I am running into this myself.  My profile views are 10' hor. and 2' ver.  My drawing scale is set to 1"=10' and when I switch it to 1"=20' things change.  But when I am in paperspace, no matter what I do, unless my viewport scale is at 1"=20', the items I drew in by hand are shifted.  My original drawing scale was 1"=20' when I started the project.  There is something up with the whole drawing scale vs profile view scale vs viewport scale.  I just dont know what.

Message 13 of 23
RickCarle-PE

Still no fix in 2013.  This issue has been around for a while.  PLEASE FIX IT AUTODESK.  Fortuantely Batch Plot corrects it before printing, otherwise I would have been making a bigger issue out of this.

Message 14 of 23
taneum

Pardon the ignorant question but how do you batch plot then so I can get some sheets plotted out today?

Message 15 of 23
RickCarle-PE
in reply to: taneum

Go to the output tab and select batch plot.  Create your file list and then save it (optional).  It should be intuitive enough to figure out from there.  If not, read the help on it. 

Message 16 of 23
taneum

Well, that didnt work either.  Set my viewport scale to 1"=20' and did a regen.  Looks fine.  Reset the viewport scale to 1"=10', didnt regen and batch plotted but the hand drawn items still come out shifted to the right by 5'.  I can manually move things in my profile view 5' to the left to remedy this but what a dangerous way to do design work.

I am pretty sure my drawing scale on the settings tab was originally set to 1"=20' when I started this project.  Why is it when my viewport scale is 1"=20' everything works fine?  Real freakin nice Autodesk.

Message 17 of 23
CADmgrMike

I finally got this submitted to the Autodesk developement and they're working on it. How long it will take to fix it, who knows. There is one thing to check that usually solves the issue.

In your profile view styles, check the right and left "axis offset" settings.(see attached pic)

If those settings are set to "0", for us at least that usually fixes the problem.

It means revising any profile view styles you may have set up, but if it fixes the problem, then I guess we live with it until Autodesk fixes it.

Mike Porter
https://provostandpritchard.com/
Message 18 of 23
taneum

Yep just did this as I had actually written up a separate thread about it.  Got em fixed.

Message 19 of 23
rdlongbow

I'm running into this in 2012. Does anyone know if this has been fixed in 2013?

Message 20 of 23
shunter62

I am sure this issue is discussed in previous threads in this forum. From a post of a couple of years ago I found out that when you set up a profille view, the right and left axis offset settings in the grid tab should be set to 0. Here is the post:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D-General/Shifted-Profile-within-Profile-View/m-p/37593...

Having other values in these settings causes the viewport shift. I just corrected a profile this week with this method. Any additional notes or linework drawn in the profile view (such as an annotion to a crossing feature) prior to correcting the profile view need to be shifted back into place.

I hope this augments the solution posted in this thread. Otherwise, there's a whole lot regeneration going on.

Susan H

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report