Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Profile Grid Extending Past View

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
andyfrank5661
1948 Views, 12 Replies

Profile Grid Extending Past View

Need help finding out why my profile Grid is extending past my user specified view.  I have dealt with this for years now and it is driving me nuts.  I have adjusted the padding and offsets in every way possible.  And the weird thing is if I change the user specified view at 95' long it extends, but if I change it to 90.5' long it goes away.  So in short, this only happens on short profile views.  Please help!

Civil 3D 2014

Version I.108.0.4, SP2

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Jeff_M
in reply to: andyfrank5661

Can you post a drawing that is exhibiting this? I've never experienced this issue, but may be able to figure out what's going on.
Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 3 of 13
andyfrank5661
in reply to: Jeff_M

Jeff,

Attached is my drawing that has several profiles doing it.  It appears to be extending 75' right on the shorter profiles.

Message 4 of 13
Jeff_M

Well, Andy, I'm stumped. I can get the grid to trim by selecting the Clip Horizontal grid lines option in the style, but that shouldn't need to be done.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 5 of 13
Jay_B
in reply to: Jeff_M

I looked at his too and I could get the extra lines to go away if I set the "user" begin station value to match the beginning of alignment but that shouldn't cause this.

In our drawings I'm able to enter a station prior to the alignment start and it works just fine.

One thought I had is to try another profile view style but switching the style does nothing.

Almost wonder if it couldn't be related to 4 alignments within the same Site?

I don't work much with alignments within sites but it seems strange that some/not all profile views have this issue in the dwg.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 6 of 13

Ya, its a problem I have been dealing with for 5-6 years now...  

Message 7 of 13
wfberry

Since these profiles are relatively short, adding 50' in the "Stations" tab cleared things up pretty quickly.

Bill

Message 8 of 13
andyfrank5661
in reply to: wfberry

Not really the solution I was looking for...

Message 9 of 13

Super late on this post, but just recently had the same problem. In case you still have this issue, go to the Display tab and make sure Ticks Major/Minor along the correct axis are turned off and click apply.

Screenshot 2021-05-18 132230.png

Message 10 of 13

This is still a problem. After pulling my hair out for a while and reading this forum, I tried making my alignments longer. On my first try,  I lengthened them 200 feet (to a total of around 215 feet). It worked. This may not be easy in some alignments, but easier than masking lines. 

Message 11 of 13
jhiattRXSUD
in reply to: mbickelVMG55

I too ran into this issue and found a fix (that worked for me anyways) i was working with an alignment that was only 50' in length. I found that if the interval for the Major tick details under the Horizontal Axes tab in the Profile View Style manage (see image) is set to larger than the length of the profile that it will cause the grid to extend to that interval length by default. the style i was using had this interval set to 100' and after changing that to 50' i no longer had the issue. Grid extension issue.jpg

Message 12 of 13
samuelXYLHN
in reply to: jhiattRXSUD

This worked for me!  Thanks!!

Message 13 of 13

I also had this problem with the extension of profile grid lines beyond the view, but I found if you Edit Profile Style > Grid Tab> check "Clip horizontal grid" and check "omit grid in padding areas" with the grid padding (major grids) portion filled out, it cleans up the surrounding view lines.

vchavez77E98_0-1705008449777.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report