Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with importing and topo surface

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Rubixcube10
455 Views, 5 Replies

Problems with importing and topo surface

For some weird reason, this job is giving me problems.  I've had no problems with this before until now.  When I import my points (.txt), all of the points go to whatever layer is current.  They don't go into their repective layers anymore.

Also, for surface, the surface doesn't even show up now.  This is the 1st time with this problem too.  I created the surface, assigned the point group and still no contours.  Any ideas on what's going wrong with this?

Also, out of curiosity, during the point import stage....what is "assign offset to point identifiers"?  does this mean, if points are right on top of each other, it will be automatically offset to read?

Rob

HP Compaq 8100 Elite
Win 7 Pro SP1 - 64Bit
8GB RAM
i7 860 @ 2.80 GHZ

AutoCad Civil 3d 2012 SP1
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
tcorey
in reply to: Rubixcube10

Do you have Description Keys turned off?

Go to Settings tab of Toolspace, expand Point, expand Commands, right click Create Points, select Edit Command Settings. Expand Points Creation, set Disable Description Keys to False.

Your second question is likely related to your Surface Style. What style have you assigned to this surface? Have you edited the Surface style to be sure Contours are turned on (Display tab.) Be sure the layers shown on Display tab for Contours are turned on. Go to the Contours tab and set your Contour Intervals.

Another possibility is the surface layer is turned off or frozen. Hit Esc a couple times. Go to Prospector tab of Toolspace. Expand Surface, right click the surface in question, select Select. Right click in the drawing screen, select Properties. Note the layer. Go to Layer command and be sure the layer is on and thawed.

Assign offset to point identifiers will add an offset to the point numbers. If I set an offset of 1000, then point 1 in the ASCII file becomes point 1001 in the drawing.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 6
Rubixcube10
in reply to: tcorey

Tim, thanks for the reply.  My description key is set to false already.  I still can't figure it out.  I did notice yesterday that my Minor and Major Contours layers were frozen. 

Another thing i'm having problems with is my linetype scale now.  Everything has run smoothley up until this job.  In the model the linetypes look fine.  But when you go into paper space the line types are HUGE and I can't get them scaled back down.  Even if I manually changed the line scale to 0.1 it still comes out big.

Also, I got so fed up with it that I scratched the whole thing and started all over again.  Nodes still go into whatever layer is current and now when I draw a quick surface, half of it ended up off the project site.  And when I place my cursor next to a node to get a surface elevation, it's 20-30 feet off.

I added a few pics to help you understand what i'm talking about.  The first shows my model space, the second is paper space with the line scale blown way out of proportion and the thrid is the quick surface where it's off the project site

Rob

HP Compaq 8100 Elite
Win 7 Pro SP1 - 64Bit
8GB RAM
i7 860 @ 2.80 GHZ

Message 4 of 6
tcorey

If we weren't talking about Civil 3D objects, I would ask if you know about the PSLTSCALE AutoCAD system variable? Try changing that to 1 and then set your LTSCALE to 1...

but with Civil 3D objects the object's linetype scale can be set in the Object Style. Go to the Display tab of the object style editor. There is a column for linetype scale.

Tim

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Message 5 of 6
Rubixcube10
in reply to: tcorey

aaahh....yes, my LTSCALE was set at 10 for some odd reason.  That solved my line scale problem.  Thanks Tim.  I'll just have to dive deeper to figure out why my points automatically go to the current layer. 

Anyone else have any opinions?

Rob

HP Compaq 8100 Elite
Win 7 Pro SP1 - 64Bit
8GB RAM
i7 860 @ 2.80 GHZ

Message 6 of 6
tcorey

Point layer defaults are set using the Settings tab of the Toolspace.

Expand Point, expand Commands, right click CreatePoints, select Edit Command Settings...

Expand Default Layer. Set your default layer here. It might be set to Use Current.

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report