Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with datum

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Topher5000
1155 Views, 8 Replies

Problems with datum

The assembly consists of an urban sidewalk & a BasicSideSlopeCutDitch on each side.  I've tried setting the overhang correction to bottom links & then top links, but some of the cross sections come out wrong, some of them really wrong.  I've attached screen caps of what's happening.

I did a search & came across something about the link being set to overlay not datum, but I couldn't find anything in the subassembly or assembly properties.

I've had this happen on other drawings, but it hasn't been bad enough to affect the quantities too much, but I really need to get this figured out.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
sboon
in reply to: Topher5000

The coding diagram in the help file shows the problem.  The two sides of the concrete sidewalk both have Datum codes, so the Datum surface has problems. Try replacing the UrbanSidewalk sub with GenericPavementStructure, so that you can control all of the point and link codes.  Also make sure that your corridor surface definition has the "Add as Breakline" option turned on.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 3 of 9
Topher5000
in reply to: sboon

Thanks Steve.

Looking at the coding diagram in your link, L2 across the top is coded Top & Sidewalk & only L1, L4, L5 L6 & L3 are coded as datum.  Is it L4 & L6 that are causing the problem?

I tried creating another assembly using the GenericPavementStructure.  I've never done anything with codes, so I'm just wingin' it.  I picked the subassembly & using the Properties tool palette, called the BottomLink Code & the OutsideLink Code 'Datum'.  Is this how they're set?

After setting the corridor to use that assembly, the datum goes across the top, although the sections at the end are still screwey.  I'll have to take a look at the corridor, although there aren't any warnings when rebuilding it.

Thanks for your help.

Message 4 of 9
sboon

Yes I'm almost certain that L4 and L6 are the source of your problems.  Users often run into the same problem with the curb subassemblies for the same reason.

I don't have the dimensions of your assembly but I've created my own version that you can look at.  Basically what I did was copy the point, link and shape codes from the UrbanSidewalk sub to the GenericLane.  I wanted to make sure that the Datum surface would follow the yellow polyline so I used DaylightGeneral on both sides and added an extra link 1mm wide right at the attachment point.  If I've done it correctly your Datum surface will have a near vertical face at the inside and outside of the sidewalk.

Clipboard01.png

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 5 of 9
Topher5000

Thanks Steve!  I'll take a look at it & try to learn from what you've done.  I'll report back on how it goes.

Message 6 of 9
Topher5000

Rats, we're using C3D 2010.  FYI, the CSW's 1.8m wide by 0.13m deep.

Message 7 of 9
sboon

I've attached screenshots showing the parameters I used for the GenericPavementStructure and DaylightGeneral.  You should be able to recreate the assembly from this.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 8 of 9
tcorey

Looks good, Steve. Thanks.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 9 of 9
sboon
in reply to: tcorey

Turning on the deflect outer face switch would create this, which is not what he asked for.

Clipboard01.png

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report