Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with autoscaling of line and curve tables on layout sheets in viewports

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
tthurston
3434 Views, 16 Replies

Problems with autoscaling of line and curve tables on layout sheets in viewports

Does anyone know how to turn off the autoscaling feature for the Civil3D generated line and curve tables in a viewport?  When I zoom the viewport and get the table just the right size in the viewport, then I regenerate the drawing, Acad automatically resizes the table making the table a completely different size than what I want.  Very frustrating.  If I could just turn this feature off, that would be great.

Thanks

Intel Core 2 E8500 @ 3.16Ghz
RAM 8 GB
64 bit
Windows 7 Enterprise SP 1
ACAD Civil 3D 2011
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
wfberry
in reply to: tthurston

For a reference:  Please note the info below my name.  In the future please go to the top of this NG and select "My Settings" and fill out the normal information that should be included in your post.  Thanks

Now:

As far as I know you can't.  You need to understand that the table is going to be sized to the scale of your viewport.  SO when in model space please set your scale to the same scale as your viewport.  This should clear up your problems.

Bill

Message 3 of 17
andrewpuller3811
in reply to: wfberry

The size you are seeing the table at when you regen is the size based on the table style.

If you want to change the size of your table as it will appear on the plan you will need to change the size in the table style. (Better to copy the style and edit that)

If a post provides a fix for your issue, click on "Accept as Solution" to help other users find solutions to problems they might have that are similar to yours.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit
Intel core i7 11800 @ 2.30 GHz with 32GB Ram
Civil 3d 2021
Message 4 of 17
mackland
in reply to: andrewpuller3811

None of this works. The table changes size every time I zoom in or out and nothing locks the size except exploding the table. I've used non-annotative text. Very frustrating.

Tags (1)
Message 5 of 17
Jeff_M
in reply to: mackland

Are you in Modelspace, Paperspace, or Modelspace through a Paperspace Viewport? If the latter, LOCK the VP once you have the scale for it set and the table looks as expected.
Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 6 of 17
mackland
in reply to: Jeff_M

Modelspace through a view port works if you lock it at the same scale as modelspace but paperspace is a disaster. Just another problem with Civil 3d that just doesn't make sense. I've been dealing with this since autocad r14 and nothing has changed. Thanks for responding though.

Mark Ackland
Cad Tech

[compass_rgb]

2631 Ginger Woods Parkway, Suite 100, Aurora, Illinois 60502
Phone: (630) 820-9100 Fax: (630) 820-7030
www.clsurveying.com

These documents in this electronic format are being provided to you at your request. This electronic data is provided for the recipients use only. Due to the unsecured nature of these electronic documents and the inability of the originator to establish controls over the use thereof, Compass Surveying Ltd. assumes no responsibility for any consequences arising out of the use of this data. It is the sole responsibility of the user to check the validity of all information contained herein. The user shall at all times refer to the signed and sealed paper copies of the document(s). The user shall assume all risks and liabilities resulting from the use of this data
Message 7 of 17
andrewpuller3811

As I said in my post, the table style sets the way the table will appear.

The setting for table styles are the size the objects will appear on the plan you print.

It you have a viewport that is set to 1:100,the table will scale within that so that the text in the table will appear at the size set in the table style.

If the same table is then viewed through a 1:1000 viewport, the table appearance will scale so that the text in the table will appear at the size set in the table style through that viewport.

If you have the two viewport side by side, the table will appear the same size through both, even though they are different scales.

This is the way they are designed. (Profile views and section views work in similar fashions)

If you want to see how your table will appear, set the annotation scale in model space to the same scale as you want in your viewport in paperspace, then regen the drawing.

This will scale the table to the size that works for the viewport scale to have the table show in paperspace at the size set in the table style.

If you want the table to appear at a different size edit the table style.

If a post provides a fix for your issue, click on "Accept as Solution" to help other users find solutions to problems they might have that are similar to yours.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Civil 3d 2021
Message 8 of 17
mackland

You obviously don't work in the real world. In my drawing I can't view the table in model space because it blows off the page because it's huge. We should have the ability to set the scale and it stays that way in model, paper, in model in a viewport, ect. Please keep your long relies to your self. They don't help any more the longer they get. Saying the same thing over and over doesn't fix the problem that autocad is a poor program at best. I've used autocad for 25 years and it hasn't changed in that time. They release product that claims to improve on the old while dropping useful abilities and creating new problems. I'm so sick of hearing "that's a known issue" from our vendors. Goodby already. You can have the last word if you want. It doesn't change anything.

Mark Ackland
Cad Tech

[compass_rgb]

www.clsurveying.com

These documents in this electronic format are being provided to you at your request. This electronic data is provided for the recipients use only. Due to the unsecured nature of these electronic documents and the inability of the originator to establish controls over the use thereof, Compass Surveying Ltd. assumes no responsibility for any consequences arising out of the use of this data. It is the sole responsibility of the user to check the validity of all information contained herein. The user shall at all times refer to the signed and sealed paper copies of the document(s). The user shall assume all risks and liabilities resulting from the use of this data
Message 9 of 17
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: tthurston

What is the text height set to in your style?

Can you post a small sample?

We know you are frustrated but Andrew is only trying to help
Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 10 of 17
mackland
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

I USED SIMPLEX, AT 0.1 (changing the size doesn't change anything) BOTH ANNOTATIVE AND NON-ANNOTATIVE. I've been through this several times. Autodesk just needs to put a check box for scaling yes or no in the table properties. Problem solved.

Work-arounds are great but it simply exposes poor program design. Autodesk needs to stop buying out other companies and just fix their program.

Want to help - bring back the XDref from 2005. It was infinitely useful and they replaced it with a label substitution that does not work the same.

Mark Ackland
Cad Tech

[compass_rgb]

www.clsurveying.com

Message 11 of 17
mackland

I USED SIMPLEX, AT 0.1 (changing the size doesn't change anything) BOTH ANNOTATIVE AND NON-ANNOTATIVE. I've been through this several times. Autodesk just needs to put a check box for scaling yes or no in the table properties. Problem solved.

Work-arounds are great but it simply exposes poor program design. Autodesk needs to stop buying out other companies and just fix their program.

Want to help - bring back the XDref from 2005. It was infinitely useful and they replaced it with a label substitution that does not work the same.

Mark Ackland
Cad Tech

[compass_rgb]

www.clsurveying.com

Message 12 of 17
andrewpuller3811

I try and explain how civil 3d tables work and how to address your problem and you are rude.

I have been using Autocad for over 20 years and Civil 3d for 10 of those.

If you do not like the answers you get, you are quite welcome to figure it out for yourself like a lot of us had to years ago.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Civil 3d 2021
Message 13 of 17
mackland

My main comment would be "If you don't have a solution don't comment" stop trying to get your Autodesk help numbers up whatever they are.

If you are not sure you have the solution you probably don't have it. In the real world one does not have time for software that does not deliver on it's promises. Especially software this expensive.

My rude comments are designed to help you. If you shut down and choose not the listen to them, that's on you.

Mark Ackland
Cad Tech

[compass_rgb]

www.clsurveying.com

Message 14 of 17
mackland

My main comment would be "If you don't have a solution don't comment" stop trying to get your Autodesk help numbers up whatever they are.

If you are not sure you have the solution you probably don't have it. In the real world one does not have time for software that does not deliver on it's promises. Especially software this expensive.

My rude comments are designed to help you. If you shut down and choose not the listen to them, that's on you.

Mark Ackland
Cad Tech

[compass_rgb]

www.clsurveying.com

Message 15 of 17
Joe-Bouza

Mark as a peer to peer user group your are welcome to scroll past any suggestion that you are not interested in.

As for the work-around I'm not convinced it is. I and others are not seeing the same issue you are seeing. Post a drawing so it can be examined fully. 

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 16 of 17
mackland

I've since re-started my machine and re-opened the drawing it is no longer re-sizing my line tables every time I zoom in or out. Not sure why. I must move on. I believe it would be a graphics problem combined with other issues. Again this would all go away if there was the ability to insert a table and uncheck scaling or turn scaling off.

I find that the best solution was to set the viewport to the same scale as model space scale and then lock it. Which did not work in 2013. Thanks for trying to help when I was having something that appears to have been a graphics accelerator issue, etc.

Mark Ackland
Cad Tech

[compass_rgb]

www.clsurveying.com

Message 17 of 17
Jeff_M

@mackland, as Joe said, this is a peer to peer forum. So please remember that almost all of us posting here are end users, just as you are. If you want to come here to blow off steam due to being frustrated with Civil3D, fine. But please refrain from being rude to those trying to help. Plus, being rude when posting your full contact information and links to the company you work for is just asking for trouble.

I use tables extensively and do not have the issues you describe. I recall seeing similar, perhaps the same, issue at one time, but I followed other's suggestions and tables have behaved for me for years now. So, as you've been asked a few times, please post a drawing file demonstrating the problem and we should be able to help you solve it...and lower your frustration level at the same time.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report