Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems adding very large points files

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
384 Views, 7 Replies

Problems adding very large points files

I have a large topo file with points and survey figures, say 30,000 points. I need to create a file from this that only shows the undergraound utilities. I can isolate them visibly using the Layer Manager but I need a file without all the extra points and survey figures. Just selecting and deleting the unwanted items has caused crashing and takes extremely long. The utilities probably end of being 3,000 of these points\figures. Any ideas on how to do this through C3D? I have thought of trying to isolate items in the txt\csv import file but Survey doesn't want another file created. I wish deleting points wouldn't take so long (I realize it's a large amount of info along a 5-mile corridor).

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Jay_B
in reply to: Anonymous

How about creating a "Utilities" Point Group of the Point descriptions desired and then go to the Output Tab>Export Points>Limit to Points in Point Group>checked>Select Utilities Point Group>OK ?

Create new Drawing>import the 3,000 or so desired points.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 3 of 8
sjg
Advisor

You could create a point group to show only what you want to see while still keeping all the points. If you need to delete the points, create a point group and under the exclusion tab, exclude all items you want to remain. Once you've included all the items, righ click on the point group you created, and select delete points. This will remove all unneeded points from the dwg file.
Steve Goessling
Land Consultants
Civil3D 2015
Windows 7, 64 bit
Intel i7 2600 @ 3.40Ghz
16 GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro 600
Message 4 of 8
rl_jackson

Under the assumption you using the coding methods with the description (ie. UGAS1 B or something like that), I would create a point group of the utilities and export a point file, then imported into a new survey database for the utilities only drawing.

Just a thought

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Jay_B

This sounds like what I need. Now I need to figure out how to make a point group that only includes the items I want.

What I need is the Survey Figures that are on certain Layers (all the underground utilities...Layer name has _UG). Is this possible? It doesn't seem to work using the Raw Desc Matching tab...I think that is picking the points from Insert>Points from File.

My process is to Insert>Points from File and apply a Desc Key to them. Then Import Survey Data to only display the Survey Figures. It is only those Figures that I need for only the UG utilities.

Sorry if not explaining correctly...kinda new C3D.

C3D2012

Message 6 of 8
Jay_B

I'm a little confused as to whether you actually want the Points in a file or just the linework (Figures)?

If you only want the linework Freeze all layers except for *_UG* and copy / "paste to original coordinates" or wblock these lines / figures into a new drawing.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 7 of 8
rl_jackson

In prospector select the point group and right-click and select new.

This will bring up this window - go to the include take and you'll have all sorts of options.pointgroup.png

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: rl_jackson

I am a bit confused myself and maybe unsure of what I\client wants. I have learned a few things today.

Usually when I am creating a file, I bring in the points 1st, then Import the figures. I am struggling a bit how these C3D treats these items separately. I have now realized that I can just bring in the Figures without having to bring in the Points.

I went a roundabout way of getting what I needed by separating out the utilities from the other topo in the .txt file. I then just put the points to No Display.

The Wblock idea also seems to work well with the Survey Figures. I wish these could just copy\paste without exploding.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report