Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with Surface from Grade

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
mwjermaine1
338 Views, 3 Replies

Problem with Surface from Grade

Hi All,

I'm a bit of newbie when it comes to Civil 3D. My shop doesn't use it too often and I'm trying learn largely on my own.

I'm working on a grading plan which excavates down from just outside the waterline of an existing pond. When I create a surface from the grading, it looks like a whole bunch of strange breaklines have been added, messing up the surface. I thought it might be the mid ordinate distance but changing that doesn't seem to fix it it. Interestingly, when I grade from the original waterline, this doesn't seem to happen.

Here is my workffow, a picture of the result is shown below.

1. Turned the current waterline into a featureline.

2. Created new featureline by offseting outside that featurline by 3.16 ft.

3. From new featureline, grade down 10 feet at 3:1

4. Create new surface using grading.

The grading lines (shown in white) look correct. But when I create the surface (green and yellow), it is all messed up.

I've been banging my head against this for a while now. Sadly, banging harder doesn't seem to help. I have a feeling it's something simple I just don't understand.

Any thoughts?

Bad Grading.png

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: mwjermaine1

@mwjermaine1 wrote:

Hi All,

I'm a bit of newbie when it comes to Civil 3D. My shop doesn't use it too often and I'm trying learn largely on my own.

I'm working on a grading plan which excavates down from just outside the waterline of an existing pond. When I create a surface from the grading, it looks like a whole bunch of strange breaklines have been added, messing up the surface. I thought it might be the mid ordinate distance but changing that doesn't seem to fix it it. Interestingly, when I grade from the original waterline, this doesn't seem to happen.

1. Verify the extracted elevations from your water line are what you think they are.

2. (see you highlighted assessment) check to see if there are other Feature lines not visible in the same "Site"

P.S. I learned it on my own too. hang in there

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 3 of 4
BrianHailey
in reply to: mwjermaine1

Whenever I see things like this when using grading groups, it screams at me site problems.

Did you create a brand new site for this grading group and feature lines or did you add them to an existing site. I would bet you added them to a site that already has stuff in it and they intersect each other here.

The only time you should ever add two things to the same site is when you intentionally want them to interact with each other. Recreate this in a new site and I bet it will work as desired.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 4 of 4
mwjermaine1
in reply to: BrianHailey

Thanks for the suggestions.

When I worked with the waterline in a new drawing, it seemed to work as expected.

I still couldn't figure out just what the interaction was between the new and existing surfaces. But for now, this will get me to the next step. I'll try to look into that more over the next day or so.

Thanks again!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report