Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with sample line, surface and cross sections

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Rubixcube10
5621 Views, 6 Replies

Problem with sample line, surface and cross sections

I'm working on cross sections and ran into a problem.  I had to edit my surface but it wouldn't cooperate with me.  So instead, I just erased the whole surface and restarted it.  After I got my surface the way I like it, I added my sample lines to where they are supposed to be.  Problem is, my cross sections turned out blank.

So for now, I skipped to create a surface profile and see both of my surfaces available on the bottom.  The old one I deleted and the newly created one.  It won't let me go to the bottom and erase the old deleted surface.  When I go into my toolspace-prospector....it only shows my newly created surface and nothing more.  Is this a reason why my cross sections come up blank?

I'll show you a pic of my toolspace with just the current surface and another pic of the "create a surface profile" showing that it still has both the old and new (all in CAPS) but it won't let me delete the original.

Thanks,

Robert

Rob

HP Compaq 8100 Elite
Win 7 Pro SP1 - 64Bit
8GB RAM
i7 860 @ 2.80 GHZ

AutoCad Civil 3d 2012 SP1
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
MikeEvansUK
in reply to: Rubixcube10

Have you sampled the surfaces on the sample lines? You need to add the surfaces in the sample line group for them to show up. If you deleted the surface between specifying the surfaces and deleting the surface you will need to resample. If the original surface was ok then you would have been left with static cross section profiles which you would need to delete.

Regarding profiles, you have two profiles shown. One static (from the surface you deleted) and one dynamic from your current surface.

To delete the static, draw profile view, select and delete.

Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Message 3 of 7
Rubixcube10
in reply to: MikeEvansUK

When creating a sample line, I don't have the option to choose a surface.  I click on sample line icon and select range and give it a range.  I've erased and retried many times with the sample line.  I'm pretty much stuck on my cross sections since nothing shows up.  Here is another picture in the create a cross section process.  This page is blank.  I'm assuming it had to at least have a surface or something to it....

I've put a lot of work into this and I don't want to have to start all over because the program is not recognizing my surface to create a cross section.

Rob

HP Compaq 8100 Elite
Win 7 Pro SP1 - 64Bit
8GB RAM
i7 860 @ 2.80 GHZ

Message 4 of 7
KirkNoonan

Try selecting one of your cross-section views and then hitting the sample more sources button on the ribbon. You should see all of you surfaces in that dialog box.
Message 5 of 7
jmayo-EE

You can save this headache next time by keeping the orignal surface. If this is not a corridor or grading surface instead of deleting it, go to the surface's properties dialog, definitions tab and remove everything in the definition. Now add the data again to redefine it.

There are other ways to fix this if ur using datashortcuts (datashortcut editor) but it's best to redefine the originally created object than delete it and create a new one with the same name. Civil 3d assigns handles to each object created and typically looks for the handle to maitain links. When you erase the surface you lose the link.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 6 of 7
Rubixcube10
in reply to: KirkNoonan

Thanks Kirk,

This is all I needed to do to get it working correctly.

Rob

HP Compaq 8100 Elite
Win 7 Pro SP1 - 64Bit
8GB RAM
i7 860 @ 2.80 GHZ

Message 7 of 7
ferflorescr

Ayuda tengo una superficie y un alineamiento realizar las sample lines pero cuando voy a crear las múltiples view todas las secciones me caen encima de las otras agradezco la ayuda utilizó la versión 2015

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report