I have a database of points I am trying to import, and the point data for each point includes a hyperlink. I've created a set of custom User-Defined Property Classifications for all the data types in the point database, and I've created a point file format to use to import the points.
It's a database of existing curb ramps, the data includes things like widths, slopes, some text, and a hyperlink to the Google Streetview at each ramp. I've created a custom point label that will show the data I need to see at each ramp.
All goes great except that the import fails because of the hyperlinks. I've tested it by removing the hyperlinks from a small test portion of the data set, and the test points are then successfully imported. I suppose I can delete the hyperlinks from the entire database, but if there is a way to include the hyperlinks in the point import I would prefer that. I have tried, but can't find anything in the help files covering this.
Under the assumption that you set the UDP up as a String (text), this probably still would not achieve the desired results as the UPD would be text and not a true link.
The only way that would be possible is by accessing the point properties and applying the link to the each individual object.
It would be nice if the link was functional, but it is not necessary.
I can get it to work if I first delete the column of hyperlink data from the database, but I would like to get the import to happen withouth having to do that first. I don't own that data, so right now I'm making a copy of it locally and modifying it. This will be more useful to more folks if it can be a turn-key thing, without requiring they all do the same copy-and-modify step to the data.
This is frustrating.
I thought I had everything all set up. Using the 'Import Point File" dialog box, I have my import file all set up, with all the user-defined property classes I need. I select 'load' to load the database file (I saved a copy as a .csv). It loads. I select 'parse' and the data all comes into the preview window fine, with every classification populated with the correct data.
I replaced every hyperlink with the generic text "Hyperlink does not work" just as a work-around.
When I attempt to import the points C3D pops up an error message "No points were transferred from the source." With no helpful tip as to what may be stopping the import.
Yesterday I was able to successfully import smaller sets of the data, including and up to a few minutes ago. It's so very hit-or-miss though, what causes the import to fail. I make a guess, then do a test run and check my guess (that's how I figured out to replace the hyperlinks with generic plain text). Now I'm finally ready to import the whole dataset, and again it fails.
This is puzzling: If the import point file can successfully parse the data, why can't it import the data? I am now very stumped. I am not sure what to try next in my trial-and-error method.
If you don't need the points as Civil3D points or want to have twice the number of points you can use the Map3D tools and create a document view to link to the images. A little work to it but it may serve your wants.
Be sure you have the fields to display all of them ($*). Also, at one time there was a string lenght of either 16 or 32 characters for points. Check that you are not exceeding the string length.
I suspect something like string length is what's killing me. The spreadsheet has 58 columns, and 3,700 rows. Most of the cells just have a few characters in them (representing things like a slope percent), but a few have text and some are pretty long (like the Google links, which are about 100 characters each, plus-or-minus.
Murph- thanks for that, that looks very handy. In truth, I really don't need the Google link/StreetView image. It's the slope percentages that will make my day. If I can get each point labeled with the critical slopes I'll save myself tons of time.
Access a broad range of knowledge to help get the most out of your products and services.