Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pressure Pipes

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
bjones9975
8369 Views, 13 Replies

Pressure Pipes

I know that Pressure Pipes are a new feature, and they sound great.  But When I try and create one, I go to the parts list, and the only pipe material listed is Ductile Iron.  I've seen other posts wherepeople have the option for PVC.

Is there something I'm missing?  I've done a repair, a reinstall and an uninstall and reinstall.

Any suggestions?

Brian

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
ToddRogers-WPM
in reply to: bjones9975

Being Civil's blog will help you with this.  Make sure you read the comments.  This is where you will find the Content Catalog Editor.  Link is below....

http://beingcivil.typepad.com/my_weblog/2012/04/introduction-to-the-pressure-pipes-catalog.html

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager
Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 3 of 14
bjones9975
in reply to: ToddRogers-WPM

After opening up the Content Catalog Editor the only parts I have incuded in th software is ductile iron.  Do I have to manually add PVC and everything else?

Brian

Message 4 of 14
ToddRogers-WPM

Yes.  If you read Being Civil's blog, it tells you how to do this.  When you click on one of the pipes, to the right, you can change it from ductile iron, to your desired material.

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager

Message 5 of 14
bjones9975

Many Thanks!

Message 6 of 14
ken.cueto

I opened up the "Content Catalog Editor" and looked at the "ID Material" it would only show Ductile Iron.  There's no other choices to choose from.

I have checked on Push-on, Mechanical, Flanged catalogs.  It only shows Ductile Iron.

Message 7 of 14
cwright

I, like Ken, am not able to add PVC as a pipe material.  When I go to modify parts lists and edit the water or standard pressure network parts lists, I can't see any materials in the window that appears when I right-click and select 'add material'  (screen shot attached).  How to get this dialogue to show other materials?  I know they're there because:

Sourceforge has a sqlite browser which is free.      I made a copy of Imperial_AWWA_PushOn.sqlite and looked through the tables inside the databse.  There is a material table (WA_MATERIAL_TBD) which lists over 70 different materials, PVC being one of them.  (anorther screen shot attached)

While I follow the being civil post, it is describing how to change the properties of the existing parts.    Rather than change the entry for ductile iron pipes to say they are PVC, it seems to me I should add the PVC parts.    How to do this?

So, I and I'd imagine others need some direction on how to add parts (PVC in my case)  to the catalogs for this new pressure pipe capability.  I looked through the help files and found nothing on this topic.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Chris

Message 8 of 14
ToddRogers-WPM
in reply to: cwright

If you change the pipe material to PVC...

4-4-2012 8-46-10 AM.png

Then rename the string to the left to say PVC instead of Ductile Iron...

4-4-2012 8-46-10 AM.png

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager

Message 9 of 14
cwright

Thanks Todd.  got it.    But is there any way to add a record rather than modify an existing one?

Message 10 of 14
ToddRogers-WPM
Message 11 of 14
cwright

Todd,

Please correct me if I am wrong, but to save others some time with the same problem let me point out that the link you provided doesn't address adding new records, e.g. adding other lines for PVC pipe as an example.  It shows how to modify the existing records.   The references to adding are simply refering to adding information about the pipe that is mot there.   The only reference to address my question is the second to last comment that points you to an API and there is really no direction provided... not exactly the most user friendly approach.

I hope Autodesk can improve the pressure pipe capaibilites of the software... in the meantime I need to move forward by modifying the ductile iron pipe entries to make them PVC...

Thanks for the feedback.

Chris

Message 12 of 14
wfberry

Just to add fuel to the fire.  I hope I am wrong on this, but it is my understanding that pressure pipes will not show in cross sections.

Bill

Message 13 of 14
Krista_Paredes

Chris, I was having the same problem you were, and I read the BeingCivil post and the Part Publishing Wizard User Guide and didn't see an answer.  In the end, what I did was to do a save as of the sqlite file and call it PVC Pipe. Then modify the existing pipes.  Also, I discovered that if you right-click any piece and then select 'Import Part' you can import one without the .content file, and basically just specify all your parameters like size, material, end types, etc...  Tedious work though, and I agree that this is something that should have been included in the initial package.  

Message 14 of 14
pcchenard
in reply to: Krista_Paredes

I'm runnin Civil 3D 2015 currently, and they still only have DI pipe materials in the library.  Does anyone know if they added more in Civil 3D 2016 or will in 2017?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report