Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pressure Pipes - "Use Size Name From Parts List As Description"

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Jepps
754 Views, 5 Replies

Pressure Pipes - "Use Size Name From Parts List As Description"

Are there any particularly logical reasons this setting is included with Pipe Networks, but not Pressure Pipe Networks? 

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
tcorey
in reply to: Jepps

Jepps wrote:

Are there any particularly logical reasons this setting is included with Pipe Networks, but not Pressure Pipe Networks? 

A possible answer:Because that feature had not been added by the cutoff date for the Civil 3D development team to have their 2013 version ready for customer shipment. Autodesk works on deadlines, so sometimes new features, like Pressure Pipes, are released in stages. I expect to see new functionality included with Civil 3D 2014. Whether this specific issue is answered, who knows...

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 6
Jepps

As with most here, I can certainly relate to the subject of deadlines and not quite being there.  But, you read other related posts (i.e. No Swap Parts command, Missing Pipe Materials, extremely limited appurtenance catalogue, etc...) and it seems use of this feature isn't even remotely close to practical at this point in time.

It appears there's even a workaround just to get C3D to recognize and correctly assign the nominal diameter of the pipe to a notation.  The default "Nominal Diameter Description" for a 10" diameter round DIP pipe is "10 in x 10 in" (What does that mean?), and as far as I can tell, it doesn't assign a "Diameter Inside" to use in a label style, either.

I know this sounds like sour grapes, but honestly I am as solid a proponent of Civil3D as anyone.  With that said, this is the epitome of bad that comes with the good when it comes to Autodesk and Civil 3D.  As much as I want to use this tool, the time spent setting up styles that'll become obsolete when content is added, and working around the clumsiness of the current release doesn't seem justified.

My biggest issue isn't that it won't be a useful tool, it's why it was released when it's obviously so far away from completion.  I probably wouldn't have wasted the effort of this rant, if this felt like an isolated incident, but stuff like this has been an ongoing frustration.

Well, I feel a little better not that I've gotten that out of my system.  Hopefully, it's not a completely meaningless 2 cents rant.

Thanks,

Eric

Message 4 of 6
SethHall

Hi Eric-

I can understand your frustration, and as Tim said above, there are features not found with pressure pipes that are found in other Civil Objects such as data shortcuts, swap parts, etc. I would highly suggest you make your thoughts known by following this link: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794 Your comments will go to Product Management.

As for a limited stock catalog, please see this thread for more information: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D/Pressure-Pipe-How-do-I-create-new-fittings-and-add-it... 

Hope this helps!

Seth Hall
Product Owner
Model Builder
Message 5 of 6

I can't agree with you more! Further more it seems that Autodesk and their staff really don't care what the end users thinks. We'll get fired if we don't get the job done, they just push it to the next release. We need real competition for Autodesk to put them in shape... that's my rant!
Message 6 of 6

This is why I do not care for the whole subscription model. It forces Autodesk to release a new version every April, whether they're ready or not. Of course, they have to make sure there are enough new bells and whistles in each release to justify the price we're paying for subscription, even if we just get a bell and no whistle. Honestly, they should scrap subscription and the yearly releases and just release new versions when they're actually ready for prime time, with the upgrade price based on how recent of a version you're upgrading from.

Mark Castle
Win 10 64-Bit, Thinkpad P50
16 GB RAM; Core i7-6820HQ; Quadro M1000M

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report