Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pressure Pipe - How do I create new fittings and add it to the content catalog?

20 REPLIES 20
SOLVED
Message 1 of 21
kpettibone
11671 Views, 20 Replies

Pressure Pipe - How do I create new fittings and add it to the content catalog?

I realize the C3D 2013 has just been released, but hoping that someone involved in the beta or Autodesk employee can offer some guidance.  The default parts catalog is a good start, but for production watermain design, it is lacking.  Therefore, I am trying to determine how do add additional content to the parts library.  

I have explored the Content Catalog Editor and have been able to add new pipe materials, but it appears that the only way that I can import a part is with a .CONTENT file.  Is there any documentation on how this file is supposed to be configured or created?  Is there any documentation on the Content Catalog Editor in general?  We need to be able to add new pipe, fittings, valves, appurtanences in order to make this new feature usable in a production environment.

Thanks in advance,

Kyle Pettibone, P.E.

RH2 Engineering, Inc.

Project Manager/CAD Manager

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
mathewkol
in reply to: kpettibone

Well, it's not the parts builder. Supposedly there may be a new command to convert AutoCAD 3D objects to these. I have not had a reply on any details about this command.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 3 of 21
Dodo89

I agree with this, we are currently exploring C3D 13 as a 12d replacement on Watermain Designs however the limited ability to create new fitting based on others etc has thrown a spanner in the works. While the functionality of the pressure pipes tool is good, like what was said above, its limited catalog and lack of ability to edit it makes it difficult to move forward. I do understand this is a new release. However, there has obviously been parts created for the release. They have to be made somewhere right? Access to these features would be more than helpful. Otherwise the tool is quite undercooked and not ready for practical commercial use.

Message 4 of 21
tcorey
in reply to: Dodo89

How's your programming?

If ability to create custom fittings is available, it is most likely to be found as a .Net object. You can access the Civil 3D object libraries using one of the .NET programming languages, like VB.NET or C#.

I don't want to get your hopes too high; Autodesk often does not expose new object types to the API in the first release of a new feature. I remember Feature Lines taking a few years to be added, so don't go hire a programmer just yet.

The Civil 3D Customization discussion group would be a good place to ask.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 5 of 21
BHFH
in reply to: Dodo89

The catalog is pretty sparse, especially for metric users. We don't get the flanged, mechanical fittings catalogs or cross fittings. Not to mention you can only add pipes for now (I haven't figured out how to add anything else).

Message 6 of 21
dana.probert

I'm not an expert on this, but I talked to the product design team to see what I could find out.

They said, right now a user can edit the SQLite database to copy parts and edit the data associated with them. 

They mentioned that they noticed this blog post in their google alerts: http://lispcad.com/2012/04/civil-3d-pressure-pipe-catalog-editor/ and that it had a pretty good run down of what is available.

I will see if I can find more information on creating additional parts.

Dana Probert, P.E.
Technical Marketing Manager, Civil Engineering
Autodesk
Blog: BIM on the Rocks
Learn More About BIM for Infrastructure
Message 7 of 21
parkerm

How can you get PVC pipe sizes into the pressure network parts? Can't use anything but the Ductile Iron pipe material. Can't add another type of pipe material. No choices.

Message 8 of 21
mathewkol
in reply to: parkerm

@Parker

http://beingcivil.typepad.com/my_weblog/2012/04/introduction-to-the-pressure-pipes-catalog.html

Pay attention to the comments.

Matt Kolberg
Message 9 of 21
parkerm
in reply to: mathewkol

You don't understand. If I open up the PressurePipesIDMCatalog.sqlite file, there is nothing there except this:Capture.PNG

Message 10 of 21
dana.probert
in reply to: dana.probert

So I got a little more information from the developer.

He says:

By authoring, we provide a command (PUBLISHPARTCONTENT) that allows you to promote any 3D Solid in AutoCAD to a .CONTENT file which can be consumed by the catalog editor application to add to a pressure catalog. 

Search your computer for a doc called: PartPublishingWizardUsersGuide

On my machine, I found it here:

C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013\Sample\Civil 3D API\Part Publishing Wizard

Dana Probert, P.E.
Autodesk
Message 11 of 21
mathewkol

That's encouraging, Dana, thanks.  I heard about such a possible tool from those who will remain nameless, but the details were sparse.  I'll give this a try.

I don't suppose this tool shows up in help anywhere?  If not, that leaves this as an undocumented feature.  Can you say if using this is supported by Autodesk?

I appreciate your help.

Matt Kolberg
Message 12 of 21
dana.probert

from the doc:

This document serves as a quick tutorial for using the Part Publishing Wizard which ships with Civil3D 2013.   This is an unsupported tool which provides a method for promoting an AutoCAD 3D Solid into an “official” pressure piping part that can be inserted into pressure piping networks.

Dana Probert, P.E.
Autodesk
Message 13 of 21
kpettibone

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!!!  You are my hero for the day!!!

Message 14 of 21
mathewkol
in reply to: parkerm

I understand.  With this tool you can create your own part families and pipes and materials.  It's not entirely obvious, but you can do these tasks here.

Matt Kolberg
Message 15 of 21
mathewkol

Thanks.  i guess I should have read it before posting.

Matt Kolberg
Message 16 of 21
Jeff_M

Wow, this tool works pretty slick! I, having ZERO 3D part creation experience, managed to create and import a fire hydrant part in about 20 minutes. All I did was locate a 3d hydrant (used the one in the MVBlocks found in the C3D Symbols folder) and follow the instructions in that Word doc. Another 5 minutes and I had it added into a drawing. 

It doesn't yet work quite right, but it IS in the parts list and drawing 🙂 This will take some work, but so far it's hands down a winner over Part Builder.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 17 of 21
parkerm

Spoiler
ok finally found the right catalog.Thanks mathewk

Message 18 of 21
Geurt

The process I follow is:

Create the 3D part of a fitting or appertunance.

Use the command "Autodeskconnectionpoint" to insert connection points.

Publish the part to a .content file type using the command "Publishpartcontent"

Thereafter use the content catalog program (supplied with Autocad) to add fittings etc to the database.

Remember to make a copy of the pressure pipes from the Autocad sub-directories and do your work on the copy version to make sure every thing works well.

Easy and productive. I created a metric pipe and fitting database for uPVC pressure pipes in about a day.

Cheers

Geurt Bloem Pr ENg

Geurt Bloem Pr Eng
Autocad C3D
Message 19 of 21
DP5150

I got the same confusing thing as Parker when I opened the sqlite file, nothing, so C3D 2013 pressure piping comes with basically an empty catalog file and you have to create your own parts?

An Autodesk pipe industry standard content download file would be nice to start off with....

Message 20 of 21
lgmunoz8651

Spoiler

There is a very nice part in Plant 3D, why no to share with civil 3d

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report