Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pressing minus key causes window control tool to open.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
jeff_rivers
1340 Views, 4 Replies

Pressing minus key causes window control tool to open.

Occasionally something happens such that when I press the minus key the 'window tool' opens.  It's been so long that I can't recall what it's called, but it is the Windows tool for maximizing/minimizing/restoring a child window.  The keystroke to call it up is alt-minus (similar to the alt-spacebar command for invoking the tool for a parent window). 

It will happen when I'm drawing a line by station & offset and try to enter a negative offset; Windows sees the minus sign and takes over, opening up the child window control thingy.  Another way is if I try to start the Layer command on the command line by preceding it with a minus sign; -LA. 

C3D 2011 ver. 2, Win 7 Enterprise.

Jeffrey Rivers
Win 10 Pro 64-bit, Intel i9 3.7GHz, 64 GB
NVIDIA RTX A4000
C3D 2020 V13.2.89.0
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
NathanBee
in reply to: jeff_rivers

Yep, that's been bugging me also. Smiley Mad

Especially in the instance when you are a poly line that runs through consecutivly numbered points.

Ideas anyone?

Nathan

Message 3 of 5
jeff_rivers

I discovered a fix that seems to be permanent at least during the C3D session.

When pressing the minus key opens up the Windows Keyboard Shortcut to resize the window:

1. Click with the cursor in the C3D command line.

2.  Before pressing any other key, press 'esc' one time.

3.  Control should now return to the C3D command line, and further presses of the minus key shouldn't bring up the Window Resize shortcut command.

Jeffrey Rivers
Win 10 Pro 64-bit, Intel i9 3.7GHz, 64 GB
NVIDIA RTX A4000
C3D 2020 V13.2.89.0
Message 4 of 5

I have this problem as well when drawing feature lines, which often have negative grades.  It's very irritating, hope they've fixed in in 2012.

C3d 2011, V3.  Win 7 Prof, 6 GB, 64 bit.

Message 5 of 5
Bugpop_LJA

I am currently having this problem.  I'm currently between Civil 3D 2011 and 2014, soon to be 100% on 2014.  I have this problem in 2011 and I recently noticed the behavior in 2014.

Most of the time I must press escape 3 times in order to get out of whatever causes the control tool to open.

Sometimes all I need to do is press minus, then the next key twice, whether it's a command or a number (the first time is ignored, second will go to command line)

Turning off the Menu Bar has never helped

Turning off the Ribbon has never helped

Toggling LOCKUI to 0 and then back to original value will often stop it.  Sometimes it's necessary to keep LOCKUI at 0.  Sometimes it doesn't matter.

Disabling contextual tab states will sometimes help

(Options > Selection > Ribbon Options > Contextual Tabl States... > Contextual Tab Display > Do Not Switch to Contextual Tab on Selection)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report