Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible to create a profile with multiple segments?

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
JOVO85
3279 Views, 12 Replies

Possible to create a profile with multiple segments?

Does anybody know how (or if it is possible) to create a profile that contains mutliple segments. THe scenario I have is a proposed profile that ties to existing grade and then picks up again at existing grade some distance down the alignment.

The only way I can find to do this now is to create it all as one profile with no breaks and then go back and remove the profile segments in between the existing grad tie ins. Except when I remove a segment from my profile all of the labels beyond the first segment fo away.

In the past I have been creating multiple profiles but seeing as how long this surface alignment is and how many breaks in the proposed profile there are I would rather have just one proposed profile than several, especially when labeling existing/proposed elevations in the data band.

Here is an example before a segment is removed:

Capture1.JPG

And here is an example after the segment was removed, the green labels are just polys and mtext not C3D entities

Capture2.JPG

Joseph-

Civil 3D 2012
Windows 7 Service Pack 1
Intel Core i7-2600 CPU
16GB RAM

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
wfberry
in reply to: JOVO85

Someone may have a better idea, but here is what I would do.

Make one long profile.

Copy the profile as many times as you need "segments".

Now using the Profile View Properties of each of the above, set your beginning and end station for each segment.

Bill

Message 3 of 13
tcorey

Yes, this will work fine.

I use the Draw Tangents Without Curves or Drawing Tangents with Curves, either snapping to existing geometry or inputting using transparent command for Station/Elevation.

After creating a segment to which another does not connect, press enter, then press the Draw Tangents button again and start this segment somewhere else.

Best regards,

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 4 of 13
klugb

Tim,
What do you do for the labeling? I have seen this also and don't want to manually label the segments after the fist gap.
Bruce Klug, P.E.
AutoCAD Expert Elite Alumni
AutoCAD Civil 3D Certified Professional
Civil 3D 2023.2.1

Win 10 Enterprise, 64-bit
Message 5 of 13
troma
in reply to: wfberry

Another solution posted in the past is to use wipeouts or something similar.  Very messy really.  We need a better solution AutoDesk!

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 6 of 13
troma
in reply to: troma

Have a read through here, if you can follow the conversation:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D/Showing-breaks-in-Profiles/td-p/3174522

Mark Green

Message 7 of 13
tcorey
in reply to: klugb

@Anonymous wrote:
Tim,
What do you do for the labeling? I have seen this also and don't want to manually label the segments after the fist gap.

Edit the profile labels, add a line label style. All segments will be labeled.

The band labels work correctly as well, only showing elevations where there are no gaps in the profile.

I'm using 2013, and so I don't know if this works differently in out-dated versions (yes that's a poke in the ribs to those of you who have not updated.) Smiley Happy

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Message 8 of 13
troma
in reply to: tcorey

Do you work as a free AutoDesk beta tester by swallowing every update they shove at you?

Do you comprimise the integrity of your project data by moving a project you're working on ahead to the newest version?

Do you give all your contacts headaches by using an incompatible version of the program?

Do you enjoy disrupting your workflow to learn the new symbols on toolbars etc that have been changed just for the fun of it?

Do you work for a larger firm than I do, who can afford all this stupidity every year?

(Hope you can take pokes as good as you give them. Smiley Wink )

Mark Green

Message 9 of 13
tcorey
in reply to: troma

@troma wrote:

Do you work as a free AutoDesk beta tester by swallowing every update they shove at you?

Do you comprimise the integrity of your project data by moving a project you're working on ahead to the newest version?

Do you give all your contacts headaches by using an incompatible version of the program?

Do you enjoy disrupting your workflow to learn the new symbols on toolbars etc that have been changed just for the fun of it?

Do you work for a larger firm than I do, who can afford all this stupidity every year?

(Hope you can take pokes as good as you give them. Smiley Wink )

You'll get a laugh out of this, I'm a reseller. I understand all the legitimate reasons companies don't update. I've dealt with them for twenty-five years now. I just like to tease. It's not meant to be anything other than a little good-spriited fun. I hope you don't take anything personally.

One note, though, I find smaller firms, not larger ones, to be the ones who are most likely to install the updates every year. It's a lot harder to move seventy people than two.

Have a great day, all!

Tim

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Message 10 of 13
JOVO85
in reply to: tcorey

Thank you Tim, I finally got back to this project and your method worked for me. I've definitely had a little trouble with the trial and error method in profile creation, mostly because of my frustrations with the Profile Layout Tools dialogue box. Everytime I make a mistake and try to go back it closes and go through the the profile creation process again. I've gotten a little better though.

The only issue I have now is some of my grade break labels not showing up as my profile progresses. Threre doesn't seem to be any particular scenario in which the aren't appearing. I've dug around in the label styles and can't quite pinpoint it.

Capture3.JPG

Does this seem related to how I am creating the profile or is it more likely a style issue?

Thanks again to every one who posted suggestions.

btw I'm on 12, medium sized company, used to upgrade every two but that has been stretched out from time to time. I've definitely said more than once "Well when we upgrade to [insert latest version] we'll have the ability to [insert awesome feature\fixed issue]

Joseph-

Civil 3D 2012
Windows 7 Service Pack 1
Intel Core i7-2600 CPU
16GB RAM

Message 11 of 13
wfberry

It is probably not an issue.  You need to change the WEEDING distance in your Profile Labels.

Bill

Message 12 of 13
JOVO85
in reply to: wfberry

Should I change threads now that I know Tim's solution solved my initial problem? I imagine the new posts are becoming misleading.

Thank you Bill, turning the weeding factor down to 0.00 did work for some of the labels but not all. What's weird is that the labels that are still missing are all grade breaks that are relatively close to each other, for instance every time I meet existing grade there is a 20' pavement transition(no grade break labels). Now since setting the weeding factor to <20 didn't make those labels appear I wonder if there is separate weeding factor that limits labels by difference in grades due to the steepness of my transitions. Does anything come to mind?

Thanks to everyone who helpedSmiley Happy

Joseph-

Civil 3D 2012
Windows 7 Service Pack 1
Intel Core i7-2600 CPU
16GB RAM

Message 13 of 13
khalchin
in reply to: klugb

Did you ever find a solution for this? (Auto Labeling profiles with gaps in them)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report