Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pond Volumes Calculation

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
wes
Explorer
3022 Views, 7 Replies

Pond Volumes Calculation

I have a manure storage pond that I am trying to figure out the total storage volume for. It has 2.5:1 Side slopes and a 10 foot wide ramp at 10:1 entering the pond to the floor bottom. I am trying to figure out what the volume of this pond is. Can anyone tell me the fastest and most efficent way to get this volume? I do not want it compared to any other surface such as existing ground. Please Help

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
troma
in reply to: wes

Create the pond surface. (I would use featurelines.)
Then make a surface across the top, i.e. the "Top of Manure" surface. (You should be able to do this using the same featureline that defines the top of slope of the pond itself.)

Then compare the two to get the volume between them.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 3 of 8
jamesmac1200
in reply to: troma

Yep.........that exactly what I do.
Civil 3D 2016 SP4
Intel Xeon CPU E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50 GHz
40GB RAM
64-Bit
Window 7 Professional
Message 4 of 8
tcorey
in reply to: wes

You also use the stage storage function to tell you volumes at various elevations, if you need to measure your potential manure storage that precisely.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 5 of 8
DaveDrahn
in reply to: tcorey

Stage Storage for a manure pond - that's hilarious! "At any given moment I can tell you precisely how deep s**t you're in"
Message 6 of 8
troma
in reply to: tcorey

Be aware that Stage Storage is based on your contours, not your TIN surface. The accuracy and precision is dependant on the precision of the contours you have set in your surface style. If you have 1m contours and the bottom of the pond is set at an even metre elevation, that's a full metre depth that gets ignored.
So think about how precise you need to be. Also, if your pond bottom was at 20.000m elevation, set it at 19.999m instead. This will cause the surface to generate the 20.000m contour around the bottom of the pond, and it will be used in the stage storage calcs. A millimetre of extra depth is negligible, a metre of missing depth is not.
I'm in metric as you can see, but I'm sure you get the point either way.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 7 of 8
jmayo-EE
in reply to: DaveDrahn

Oh man, now I need help off the floor. 🙂

Thanks for the laugh Dave!

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 8 of 8
Hidden_Brain
in reply to: DaveDrahn

"At any given moment I can tell you precisely how deep s**t you're in"

Smiley Very Happy

that one is a classiccc!!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report