Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Polyline to draw daylight line

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
stgospel
1615 Views, 3 Replies

Polyline to draw daylight line

I have a list of offset distance from centerline on both sildes (left and right). I want to use this to create a polyline that represents the daylight. these offsets are taken from an old hardcopy drawings of cross-sections. is there any way to draw this polyline that follows the alignment?

Thanks

PS: file can be .txt or .csv

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Jay_B
in reply to: stgospel

@stgospel wrote:

I have a list of offset distance from centerline on both sildes (left and right). I want to use this to create a polyline that represents the daylight. these offsets are taken from an old hardcopy drawings of cross-sections. is there any way to draw this polyline that follows the alignment?

Thanks

PS: file can be .txt or .csv

Not sure what your after exactly but if you have the Station and offset information and that same alignment defined in Civil 3d one option would be to draw the polylines using the Transparent toolbar command Station offset.

@Anonymous will only work from within a command so first enter POLYLINE command followed by 'SO to initiate the station offset and follow input prompts @ the command line for each station/offset along the daylights.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 3 of 4
stgospel
in reply to: Jay_B

will I do it one by one or can I copy paste the values to the command line

Message 4 of 4
Jay_B
in reply to: stgospel

@stgospel wrote:

will I do it one by one or can I copy paste the values to the command line

If you mean can you paste all values for the left side and have it draw the Polyline for entire left side in an automated fashion,
No, this method would be dot to dot inputting (or copy/pasting) one value at a time.

I think I may have an automated solution for you, first creating points and then drawing lines using the "Create Line by Point # Range Command. (which allows for connecting the dots for point 1-10 etc.)

1. Assumed that you have a C3d Centerline Alignment in dwg already.

2. Create 2 ascii files of station offset info for importing as points.

a. Right side would be this format:

3500 10
3550 12
3600 20
3650 22

b. Left side would be this format:

3500 -10
3550 -12
3600 -20
3650 -22

3. Import either ascii file using Home Tab>Create Ground Data panel>Points>Create Points-Alignments>Import from File>

Set the Create Points>Points Creation settings that begin with "prompt for" all to Automatic or none.

Follow prompts at command line (hit f2 to see choices) choose station offset.>choose delimiter>accept default for indicator for station offset>Select alignment>points are created.

4. Using "Create Line by Point # Range" Command connect the points automatically.

Home Tab>Draw panel>Line (upper left icon)>Create Line by Point # Range.

Enter the point range of points to be connected such as 1-10.

Hope that helps.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report