Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Polygonal Viewport question

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
mnyrac
6868 Views, 13 Replies

Polygonal Viewport question

I am working in Civil 3d 2012 and I want to create a polygonal viewport.  Simple enough:  View, Viewports, Polygonal viewports, and then I draw my viewport.  The view comes in as expected, but when I click on the viewport to change the properties (scale, locking), it only gives me propoerties of a polyline.  If I delete the "viewport", it leaves the view but deletes the polyline border. 

What am I missing?

Caryn

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
troma
in reply to: mnyrac

Is it possible that it's creating the viewport on a frozen or off layer?

I generally already have a viewport, and then make it polygonal afterwards by drawing a polyline and using the VPCLIP command.  You could test out that method to see if it makes a difference.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 3 of 14
mnyrac

Nope, I checked the layer and still the same thing.  I did wind up using CLIP instead and that will work, but I don't understand why polygonal viewport wouldn't work the way a normal viewport works.

Message 4 of 14
troma

Glad you got something to work.

I don't have 2012 and I don't use that command, so I really can't comment.  Maybe someone else will help you more.

Mark Green

Message 5 of 14
Jeff_M

Turn Selction Cycling on (CTRL+W). Then, when you select the "Viewport" (you normally will get the pline since it was created last) you will see a selection box allowing you to specify the viewport instead of the polyline.

11-19-2012 9-53-52 AM.png

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 6 of 14
2pinnelli

Caryn,

I think you will find if you select the viewport with a crossing you will be able to edit it in the change prop box.

Message 7 of 14
Neilw_05

When you create a clipped viewport either by selecting a polyline or by drawing one after initiating the command, Autocad creates a viewport that is associated with the polyline. You will note that if you draw a crossing window over the polyline you will actually select both the polyline and the associated viewport (look at the properties palette to see there are 2 entities selected). Autocad has behaved this way for as far back as I know.

As has been mentioned, use selection cycling to select the viewport (most efficient), or use the crossing window and then select the viewport object in the properties palette. You can also use display order to bring the viewport object to front if you want to make it the first object selected.

FYI, you can manipulate the viewport clip by modifying the polyline with PEDIT. You can add or remove vertices and drag the grips to adjust the clip boundary.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 8 of 14
troma
in reply to: Neilw_05

I think there is something deeper than that going on with the original poster's machine.  mnyrac said that using the VPCLIP worked, drawing polygonal didn't.  Also that deleting the polyline kept the view, ie the view of model space still there.  From this you can see that the polyline and viewport are not associated with eachother as they should be.

If all is working correctly, you shouldn't need a crossing window.  As long as I remember (not as long as others here, I know) you just click on the viewport/polyline once, and both objects are selected.  New for 2011: the viewport is automatically the active options in the properties pallete, rather than displaying "All (2)" and requiring the user to select Vewport in the drop-down.  The polyline is still in the selection set and can be selected from the drop-down if wanted.

It was clear to me that the OP was not getting either of these two options, and that OP understood how it should be working, and that it wasn't.  Have you ever deleted the polyline without the view disapearing?  There is something deeper going on here than a user who doesn't know how to select the right object.

Mark Green

Message 9 of 14
mnyrac
in reply to: troma

Thanks for the information.  I wouldn't doubt that there is something else going on within my Autocad, because I have also had issues with not being able to print raster images (to any printer or to a pdf).  

When inserting a regualar viewport, it works as expected.  When I insert a polygonal viewport is when I can't select the viewport.  I have cycling on and it shows the viewport in the selection, but it doesn't allow me to select it.  Only the polyline.  

I was able to manipulate the viewport after using Vclip.  It seems as though the problem remains strictly within the polygonal viewport command.

Caryn

Message 10 of 14
mnyrac

When playing with it again this morning I will take back what I said earlier.  Cycling DOES work and also when I window around it, I can select both the polyline and the viewport to get properties and delete it.  

So I get the extent of the issue is that the polyline and the viewport are not connected.  

Message 11 of 14
mnyrac

I recently got a new computer, with a brand new license of Civil 3d 2012.  I am still having issues with viewports.  When I create a polygonal viewport, it separates the polyline and the viewport if I click on them individually.  It must be a setting somewhere?

Caryn

Message 12 of 14
C3D_TomR

I am unable to replicate the issue in C3D 2012 or C3D 2013. Every time I create a polygonal viewport and select it I get both a polyline and a viewport in Properties Palette though the vewport is the default object visible in the Properties Palette unless I use Selection Cycling to choose polyline.

Tom Richardson

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature
Autodesk Certified Professional in Civil 3D for Infrastructure Design
AutoCAD Certified Professional
------------------------------------
Autodesk AEC Community Blog
Crossing the line with Civil 3D
Twitter | LinkedIn
------------------------------------
Austin CAD User Group Resources
Blog | Discord | LinkedIn

Autodesk Group Network Leader

Message 13 of 14
rkmcswain
in reply to: C3D_TomR

@C3D_TomR wrote:

I am unable to replicate the issue in C3D 2012 or C3D 2013. Every time I create a polygonal viewport and select it I get both a polyline and a viewport in Properties Palette though the vewport is the default object visible in the Properties Palette unless I use Selection Cycling to choose polyline.

^^^^^^^^^^^^ I agree with the above. 

Also -- I didn't test it, but if either the polyline or viewport is on layer "Defpoints" and layer 0 is frozen - there is no telling what sort of side effects may occur.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 14 of 14
mnyrac
in reply to: rkmcswain

I have attached a test drawing with a polygonal viewport in it.  What I have found is that as long as I have cycle selection on, I can choose the viewport.  But the viewport and the polygon border remain separate.  

If you all say that's the way it is, no problem.  I can work with it.  But it just seems odd to me that they would be separate.

Caryn

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report