Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Points - User Defined Properties

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
paulgalli5397
679 Views, 7 Replies

Points - User Defined Properties

So - user defined properties for points are great.  My only problem is that I can't copy and paste them between drawings without losing the user defined properties.  Anyone figured out a way to do this?  I've tried it in both c3d 2011 and 2013. 

I can export them into a user defined point file and import them into another drawing the same way, but that is more cumbersome than just copying and pasting. 

C3D - 2014, Sincpac Addon
Land Surveyor
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
tcorey
in reply to: paulgalli5397

You can Drag-n-Drop user defined property classes between drawings using the Settings tab of Toolspace.

The Styles Manager does not help with this. You have to use Toolspace.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 8
hbisco
in reply to: tcorey

How do you do this?  I have used this method to copy many styles from drawing to drawing, but I cannot get it to work with a User-Defined Properties Classification. 

I am in the Settings tab (master view) select the drawing that I want to drag-n-drop from.  I expand Point item and expand the User-Defined Properties Classification folder and see me UDP Classification.  When I try to drag it into my active drawing, nothing happens.  What am I doing wrong? 

I am using Civil 3D 2014. 

Thanks for any suggestions. 

Message 4 of 8
Jeff_M
in reply to: hbisco

In the data gridview select each UDP in the UDP Classification and drag them over individually.
Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 5 of 8
hbisco
in reply to: Jeff_M

Thanks Jeff_M, that works great!   

I had tried that before, but I was selecting multiples in the grid to drag and drop.  Selecting them one at a time is the key.

Message 6 of 8
hbisco

Well, maybe it didn't work after all. 

I am copying the UDP items from drawing A into drawing B.  As I drag and drop from A into B, I see the little sqaure and the plus sign so it looks like the UDP is being copied in (which is why I thought it was working), but when I look in drawing B they do not show up.  The UDP Classification gets added, but the individual UDP does not.

Message 7 of 8
Jeff_M

Let me guess, your UDP's are String value UDP's? For whatever reason, these do not copy across drawings. Doubles, Elevations, etc., do copy correctly. I have no idea why this is.
Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 8 of 8
hbisco
in reply to: Jeff_M

Yes, most of them are String formats. 

Interestingly, some of them are Elevation format so I dragged and dropped them in.  The first one copied through fine as did the UDP Classification, but the additional Elevation UDP items did not copy through, only the first one. 

Oh well, it looks like I'll end up creating them all manually.  It's good practice anyway. 

Thanks for your help Jeff_M!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report