Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Points disappearing from drawing - Please Advise

22 REPLIES 22
Message 1 of 23
trynders
5164 Views, 22 Replies

Points disappearing from drawing - Please Advise

Hello,

Using Civil3D 2011, I have a topo drawing that's about 2 miles long.  The points have styles to them to show the actual survey item such as manhole, trees, signs, etc.  I have also created a point group called "no display" that I have added certain points to so they don't show up in the topo.  While adding additional points to the "no display" point group, I have noticed that ALL the points but 3 have vanished from the drawing.  Anyone ever had this happen?  And what's the fix.  We just installed the SP2 so maybe that's the problem.

Thanks,

T

22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
ToddRogers-WPM
in reply to: trynders

Are you moving the other point group up to the top so that it ONLY shows the points you want to see?

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager
Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 3 of 23
trynders

Yes.  I click on "Points" in the toolspace and see that all my points have disappeared in the bottom window of the toolspace.

Message 4 of 23
ToddRogers-WPM

Oooh, you're talking about the item view window?  There are no points showing there?

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager

Message 5 of 23

Is there a little circle beside your No Display point group indicating that there ARE points in that point group?

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager

Message 6 of 23
trynders

Yes... Its like I deleted all my points.  But I didn't do it!

Message 7 of 23
ToddRogers-WPM

Can you provide a screen shot of your whole toolspace with points groups expanded?

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager

Message 8 of 23
trynders

I know the "no display" group looks like it needs to be updated.  Thats because the points keep vanishing.  I have to drop back to an autosave and start over.

Message 9 of 23
ToddRogers-WPM

That's a pretty interesting issue you have there.  Is this drawing based, or does this happen in multiple drawings?

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager

Message 10 of 23
trynders

So far... this is the only drawing.

Message 11 of 23
ToddRogers-WPM

ok...attach the drawing and I will see if I'm getting the same results.

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager

Message 12 of 23
jmayo-EE

Did you try right clicking on the Point Groups heading in the toolspace and select Update?

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 13 of 23
trynders
in reply to: ToddRogers-WPM

Okay, What I have found is this.  Our survey department also makes a point drawing that one can x-ref into the drawing to see all the shots.  The points drawing was x-refed in and I was creating a hatch area.  Immediatly after the hatch was drawn, the points would disappear.  After unloading the points drawing, I did the same steps and the points in my topo drawing stayed.  I don't know why.  what I also found is that when a closed polyline is drawn for a hatch boundary and then picked inside the area the points vanish.  If the polyline is selected, the points stay.  Even if the hatch is analyzing everything visible, and its looking at the points drawing... what's it doing removing the actual points from my drawing?

Todd, the drawing is too large to post.

Message 14 of 23

I just had this exact same issue. And I was hatching. Did anyone figure out why this is happening. It has deleted all of my points in the file deleting all of the topographic informatin. (See image)

Message 15 of 23
sjg
Advisor

Were the points added through a database or did you just insert points? If database, go to Survey tab on prospector and try to reinsert points into drawing.
Steve Goessling
Land Consultants
Civil3D 2015
Windows 7, 64 bit
Intel i7 2600 @ 3.40Ghz
16 GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro 600
Message 16 of 23
ajfernandes
in reply to: sjg

The points were just manually inserted.

I was able to open a previous version of the model from this morning and export those points, then import them back into my model with no issues. (They are still there at the moment.......)

It really doesn't make much sense why all the points just vanished...........

Message 17 of 23
JeffCamarena

Has anyone found a cause and/or solution for these disappearing points?

Message 18 of 23
ashleycolley9070

We are starting to regularily have this problem since switching to 2013 with so far no solution! Feature lines have also done the same thing . It would be nice to know whats going on...

Message 19 of 23
4Runner
in reply to: ashleycolley9070

I'm still having this issue with Civil3d 2014. I have to bring my lines into a new drawing to create any hatches I need. Then copy the hatch into the drawing. I can't hatch in a drawing that contains points unless I want to reload all my points every time I create a hatch. What a waste of time...

It would be nice if Autodesk could make any indication that they are at least looking into fixing this bug....

Message 20 of 23
jmayo-EE
in reply to: 4Runner

You will save a lot of aggravation by keeping the hatches in their own file. All alone. Then Xref the hatch.dwg into the sheets and display order is controlled with one object and they will always stay to the back of the objects.

Hatches are 2D AutoCAD objects. They don't play very well with C3D data.

Of course this is just my 2 cents and I may not fetch an equivalent return rate. 🙂

John Mayo

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report