AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

jthompson08
Message 1 of 21 (3,904 Views)

Point Table With Alignment Station Data Field

3904 Views, 20 Replies
06-01-2010 12:19 PM
Brief Project Description:

I have been provided with Surveyed Utility Locates along an Existing Roadway. These are provided to show conflicts between the New Storm Sewer System and Existing Utilities such as Water, Sewer, Gas, Elec, etc. The survey however is incomplete as it was prepared a few years ago and the Storm Sewer has just been designed. Yes, I can create points and provide them to the County Surveying department. However, before this is done, I must provide an easily-understood format of the new survey locations to the County Project Management.

Goal:

To provide a Point Table which references the Surveyed Points' location in reference to the roadway stationing (Alignment). I have attached what the point table is to look like.

Problem:

I am unable to find the desired data reference in the currently provided data field selection. Am I just missing it or is this a "Wish List" item?

Thank you,

J Thompson
*Expert Elite*
Sinc
Message 2 of 21 (3,904 Views)

Re: Point Table With Alignment Station Data Field

06-01-2010 01:10 PM in reply to: jthompson08
It is functionality that is currently only supported by third-party add-ons. And actually, at the moment, I only know of one third-party add-on that can do it:

http://www.quuxsoft.com/SincpacC3D_DynamicLinks.aspx

-- Sinc
http://www.ejsurveying.com
http://www.quuxsoft.com
Sinc
jthompson08
Message 3 of 21 (3,904 Views)

06-01-2010 01:18 PM in reply to: jthompson08
Thank you for the info.
Distinguished Mentor
andrewpuller3811
Message 4 of 21 (3,904 Views)

06-01-2010 07:30 PM in reply to: jthompson08
I got around this issue with a bit of a crude fix, and certainly not dynamic or easy for a lot of points.

I created a User-Defined Property Classification for points which included one for offset and another for chainage (read station in US Speak)

I was then able to add them to a Point table to get the results you want.

Step by step.

1 - On the Settings tab of Toolspace, expand Point and User-Defined Property Classifications.
2 - Right click on the User-Defined Property Classifications heading and select "New".
3 - Type in a name for your properties group. EG "Chainage Offset" and hit ok
4 - Right Click on the New properties group and select "NEW".
5 - Enter a Name E.G. "Chainage" and change the property field to what you want. (I chose string for this) Then click ok. (If you select your new properties group you should see the new property in the bottom pane.)
6 - repeat 4 & 5 to create an "offset" property
7 - If you go to the prospector tab and select the Points node you should be able to scroll across down the bottom and see 2 new columns for you new User-Defined Point Properties.
8 - Go to the model space and inquire at the points or add station/offset labels to get the points chainages and offsets from the alignment.
9 - Select each point and in the Autocad properties dialogue type in you chainage and offset into the new properties field.
10 - Create a point table style and add your new point properties to it
11 - Create your point table using the new style and add the points you want to show.
If this fixed your issue, click on "Accept as Solution"

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Windows 7 Enterprise 64bit
Intel core i7 2600 @ 3.40 GHz with 16GB Ram
Civil 3d 2013 64bit
Contributor
blewis
Message 5 of 21 (3,826 Views)

08-11-2010 04:49 PM in reply to: jthompson08

I've had a need for this type of table information as well.  What boggles my mind is that ALL the information is right there in two different parts.  Why on earth Autodesk hasn't released a Patch / HotFix with a new point label that includes coding for it's location relative to an alignments station and offset, and point table that can display the info.

Sometimes, I wonder what Civil Engineers Autodesk actually consulted to help them design parts of this program.  (Don't get me started. :smileywink:

They need to release something to address this.  IT can't be that hard to create the styles to tap into this information (that already exists.)

I hope they address this sooner than later.

------------------------------
"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all." (Futurama)

Brian Lewis
CAD Manager, Civil Designer
www.uskh.com

AutoCAD, AutoCAD Architecture, Civil 3D, AutoCAD MEP
Revit Architecture, Revit Structural, Revit MEP
(versions 2008-2011)
Distinguished Contributor
dnl999
Message 6 of 21 (3,818 Views)

08-11-2010 06:23 PM in reply to: jthompson08

There were some free routines which I downloaded from either this DG or the web (can't remember now) in the past and they work very well and do what you want.  If you can't find it you can e-mail me at kckkim  AT hotmail DOT COM

Andrew

Distinguished Contributor
Bennos1
Message 7 of 21 (3,779 Views)

08-12-2010 09:40 PM in reply to: jthompson08

Hi J Thompson,

It really gets to me that civil 3d cannot do this and many other table / reports that should be standard. Here is my work around, it is not exactly what you asked (i.e. not a c3d table) but may be another choice in how you resolve your issue.

Create your alignment

Create or import the points you need to relate to that aligment

Go to toolspace / toolbox / report manager / points / station offset to points.

Execute the report but save the output file to excel format (change it from the default HTML format)

Edit the excel file if you need to to get it look the way you want. Tip: use find and replace in excel to make mass changes.

Copy the excel data

Paste into c3d using Paste Special / Autocad enties /

It will now be in c3d as a table. Format as you need.

Attached is an example of the final result , also added to this one are the point co-ordinates at the excel stage . It takes about 10 minutes form start to finish, but obviously is not dynamic.

This type of report or table should be standard in civil 3d. There should be a General Table option, in which all the variables from alignments, profiles, points, surfaces, pipes, sites etc should be accessible to cross reference them as required. Here you go Autodesk I will even offer a name for it -  a Super Table.

Regards,

Ben

Valued Mentor
TerryDotson
Message 8 of 21 (3,762 Views)

08-13-2010 11:10 AM in reply to: jthompson08

Another option to consider is the MapWorks Points module, it's Point Report allows you to select an alignment to reference.  You can control which fields are displayed and in which order.

Contributor
blewis
Message 9 of 21 (3,759 Views)

08-13-2010 11:36 AM in reply to: blewis

Workaround:  

Use a pipe network of just structures.  A structures table can be configured to only show the structure ID (Label), Station, and Offset. 

The structure symbol can be changed to nothing (blank), or the X block symbol, instead of the circle with an S in it.  Then simply change the structure labels to 100, 101, 102, etc.,   OR  turn them off on the structures, and set the table column for them to a non-print color.  Then add manual labels for your purpose (Const. Documents, or Figures)

I'm creating a blank Civil 3D file with the needed styles set up, then my users can insert the drawing and proceed.  The Pipe network is names "Station & Offset Table Network', with a description, 'This network is for creating Station & Offset tables, NOT for utility entities.' 

The table lines can be turned off and added manually if preferred.

The main goal of making a dynamic stations and offsets table is achieved.

I still feel Autodesk is missing a lot of common sense functions and controls, but this workaround seems to work and excepted by the staff.  (At least until Autodesk gets on track with these sorts of things.)

The results actually look pretty good.  Good Luck :smileyhappy:

------------------------------
"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all." (Futurama)

Brian Lewis
CAD Manager, Civil Designer
www.uskh.com

AutoCAD, AutoCAD Architecture, Civil 3D, AutoCAD MEP
Revit Architecture, Revit Structural, Revit MEP
(versions 2008-2011)
jameshaglund5420
Message 10 of 21 (3,684 Views)

09-03-2010 01:36 PM in reply to: blewis

That is a great work around.  I appreciate you sharing the idea.  Take care

Jim Haglund

KPG, Inc

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.