Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Point Table With Alignment Station Data Field

20 REPLIES 20
Message 1 of 21
jthompson08
12462 Views, 20 Replies

Point Table With Alignment Station Data Field

Brief Project Description:

I have been provided with Surveyed Utility Locates along an Existing Roadway. These are provided to show conflicts between the New Storm Sewer System and Existing Utilities such as Water, Sewer, Gas, Elec, etc. The survey however is incomplete as it was prepared a few years ago and the Storm Sewer has just been designed. Yes, I can create points and provide them to the County Surveying department. However, before this is done, I must provide an easily-understood format of the new survey locations to the County Project Management.

Goal:

To provide a Point Table which references the Surveyed Points' location in reference to the roadway stationing (Alignment). I have attached what the point table is to look like.

Problem:

I am unable to find the desired data reference in the currently provided data field selection. Am I just missing it or is this a "Wish List" item?

Thank you,

J Thompson
20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
Sinc
in reply to: jthompson08

It is functionality that is currently only supported by third-party add-ons. And actually, at the moment, I only know of one third-party add-on that can do it:

http://www.quuxsoft.com/SincpacC3D_DynamicLinks.aspx

-- Sinc
http://www.ejsurveying.com
http://www.quuxsoft.com
Sinc
Message 3 of 21
jthompson08

Thank you for the info.
Message 4 of 21

I got around this issue with a bit of a crude fix, and certainly not dynamic or easy for a lot of points.

I created a User-Defined Property Classification for points which included one for offset and another for chainage (read station in US Speak)

I was then able to add them to a Point table to get the results you want.

Step by step.

1 - On the Settings tab of Toolspace, expand Point and User-Defined Property Classifications.
2 - Right click on the User-Defined Property Classifications heading and select "New".
3 - Type in a name for your properties group. EG "Chainage Offset" and hit ok
4 - Right Click on the New properties group and select "NEW".
5 - Enter a Name E.G. "Chainage" and change the property field to what you want. (I chose string for this) Then click ok. (If you select your new properties group you should see the new property in the bottom pane.)
6 - repeat 4 & 5 to create an "offset" property
7 - If you go to the prospector tab and select the Points node you should be able to scroll across down the bottom and see 2 new columns for you new User-Defined Point Properties.
8 - Go to the model space and inquire at the points or add station/offset labels to get the points chainages and offsets from the alignment.
9 - Select each point and in the Autocad properties dialogue type in you chainage and offset into the new properties field.
10 - Create a point table style and add your new point properties to it
11 - Create your point table using the new style and add the points you want to show.

If a post provides a fix for your issue, click on "Accept as Solution" to help other users find solutions to problems they might have that are similar to yours.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit
Intel core i7 11800 @ 2.30 GHz with 32GB Ram
Civil 3d 2021
Message 5 of 21
BryGuy-AK

I've had a need for this type of table information as well.  What boggles my mind is that ALL the information is right there in two different parts.  Why on earth Autodesk hasn't released a Patch / HotFix with a new point label that includes coding for it's location relative to an alignments station and offset, and point table that can display the info.

Sometimes, I wonder what Civil Engineers Autodesk actually consulted to help them design parts of this program.  (Don't get me started. Smiley Wink

They need to release something to address this.  IT can't be that hard to create the styles to tap into this information (that already exists.)

I hope they address this sooner than later.

------------------------------
"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all." (Futurama)

Brian Lewis
CAD Manager, Civil Designer
www.uskh.com

AutoCAD, AutoCAD Architecture, Civil 3D, AutoCAD MEP
Revit Architecture, Revit Structural, Revit MEP
(versions 2008-2011)
Message 6 of 21
dnl999

There were some free routines which I downloaded from either this DG or the web (can't remember now) in the past and they work very well and do what you want.  If you can't find it you can e-mail me at kckkim  AT hotmail DOT COM

Andrew

Message 7 of 21
Bennos1

Hi J Thompson,

It really gets to me that civil 3d cannot do this and many other table / reports that should be standard. Here is my work around, it is not exactly what you asked (i.e. not a c3d table) but may be another choice in how you resolve your issue.

Create your alignment

Create or import the points you need to relate to that aligment

Go to toolspace / toolbox / report manager / points / station offset to points.

Execute the report but save the output file to excel format (change it from the default HTML format)

Edit the excel file if you need to to get it look the way you want. Tip: use find and replace in excel to make mass changes.

Copy the excel data

Paste into c3d using Paste Special / Autocad enties /

It will now be in c3d as a table. Format as you need.

Attached is an example of the final result , also added to this one are the point co-ordinates at the excel stage . It takes about 10 minutes form start to finish, but obviously is not dynamic.

This type of report or table should be standard in civil 3d. There should be a General Table option, in which all the variables from alignments, profiles, points, surfaces, pipes, sites etc should be accessible to cross reference them as required. Here you go Autodesk I will even offer a name for it -  a Super Table.

Regards,

Ben

Message 8 of 21
TerryDotson

Another option to consider is the MapWorks Points module, it's Point Report allows you to select an alignment to reference.  You can control which fields are displayed and in which order.

Message 9 of 21
BryGuy-AK
in reply to: BryGuy-AK

Workaround:  

Use a pipe network of just structures.  A structures table can be configured to only show the structure ID (Label), Station, and Offset. 

The structure symbol can be changed to nothing (blank), or the X block symbol, instead of the circle with an S in it.  Then simply change the structure labels to 100, 101, 102, etc.,   OR  turn them off on the structures, and set the table column for them to a non-print color.  Then add manual labels for your purpose (Const. Documents, or Figures)

I'm creating a blank Civil 3D file with the needed styles set up, then my users can insert the drawing and proceed.  The Pipe network is names "Station & Offset Table Network', with a description, 'This network is for creating Station & Offset tables, NOT for utility entities.' 

The table lines can be turned off and added manually if preferred.

The main goal of making a dynamic stations and offsets table is achieved.

I still feel Autodesk is missing a lot of common sense functions and controls, but this workaround seems to work and excepted by the staff.  (At least until Autodesk gets on track with these sorts of things.)

The results actually look pretty good.  Good Luck Smiley Happy

------------------------------
"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all." (Futurama)

Brian Lewis
CAD Manager, Civil Designer
www.uskh.com

AutoCAD, AutoCAD Architecture, Civil 3D, AutoCAD MEP
Revit Architecture, Revit Structural, Revit MEP
(versions 2008-2011)
Message 10 of 21

That is a great work around.  I appreciate you sharing the idea.  Take care

Jim Haglund

KPG, Inc

Message 11 of 21
kevinjackman

I find it funny how the Austrailia / New Zealand Country Kit will output a report that allows the user to create a point report showing station and offset, by selecting a point group.

See the attached picture taken from the country kit documentation.

The work is done Autodesk - why not make it available to everyone!!

Message 12 of 21
Sinc
in reply to: kevinjackman

Interesting...  That report is in the US version, too, but the US version does not let us select points by Point Group.  Other than that, it looks the same.

In any case, that report isn't the same thing as being able to create dynamic station/offset tables in your C3D drawing, the way you can with the Sincpac-C3D, or with the pipe network hack mentioned above.

Sinc
Message 13 of 21
Bennos1

Hi Kevin,

Did you execute that report from the reports manager? I'm using c3d2010 ANZ and it doesn't have the option to select by point group? Maybe they have taken it out for versions after 2009?

Regards,

Ben

Message 14 of 21
mlouis

A college of mine said....

Don't use a bunch of STA/OFFSET LABELS or POINTS.......use "structures" in a PIPE NETWORK instead.
Did you know that "structures" in a PIPE NETWORK dynamically reference alignments?

Here's the steps:
#1) Create a "new structure style" that's empty
#2) Add a bunch of STRUCTURES all over the place.
#3) Create a DYNAMIC TABLE with Station Offsets and select those structures
#4) Move any structure....and the table will automatically update the station offsets.

Sure, that might be difficult to do......and sure you can XREF and share LABELS or POINTS......but instead of XREF'n......you can SHARE a PIPE NETWORK using a DATA SHORTCUT, and create a separate DYNAMIC TABLE. WOW!

Gotta love technology.

Message 15 of 21
mlouis

A college of mine said....

Don't use a bunch of STA/OFFSET LABELS or POINTS.......use "structures" in a PIPE NETWORK instead.
Did you know that "structures" in a PIPE NETWORK dynamically reference alignments?

Here's the steps:
#1) Create a "new structure style" that's empty
#2) Add a bunch of STRUCTURES all over the place.
#3) Create a DYNAMIC TABLE with Station Offsets and select those structures
#4) Move any structure....and the table will automatically update the station offsets.

Sure, that might be difficult to do......and sure you can XREF and share LABELS or POINTS......but instead of XREF'n......you can SHARE a PIPE NETWORK using a DATA SHORTCUT, and create a separate DYNAMIC TABLE. WOW!

Gotta love technology.

Message 16 of 21
d_reno
in reply to: mlouis

Hey,

I am using the pipeworks structure chart as a way to get a dynamic report showing point no, N, E, Elev., Sta, OS.

My question is: Can I edit what "structures" show up in this tabele? I have several plan/pro sheets and I only want the points that show up on a particular sheet to show up in the tabel that will appear on that sheet. Some points are unique to that sheet, some show up on more than one sheet. Do I need to create a "pipe network" for each sheet?

thanks

David Renaud, RLS
C3D 2012 on 64bit Win 7 all up to date
Dell Precision 7core 8GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800M
LDT/C3D user since release 12
Message 17 of 21
d_reno
in reply to: d_reno

nevermind - I see where I can select the structures I want in a table in the create table dialog.

I posted this other question onto a thread about funtions in the text composer/editor box in table cell contents and label style dialogs. I want the table to use the insertion point from the surface at each structure but add 2 inches to this. Possible?

David Renaud, RLS
C3D 2012 on 64bit Win 7 all up to date
Dell Precision 7core 8GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800M
LDT/C3D user since release 12
Message 18 of 21
JamaL9722060
in reply to: d_reno

Hi all,

My issue is a little bit easier but doesn’t work with me.

I wanted to create points at all the stations of an alignment at a time such that these points are saved in the g2 group (please, have a look on the screenshot below).

I tried it but couldn’t create these points at all stations at a time

Thank you for the help

Best

Jamal

Clip_242.jpg

---------------------------
Jamal Numan
Message 19 of 21
Sinc
in reply to: JamaL9722060

Looks interesting....

The Sincpac-C3D DisplayPoints command had lots of options for creating points at various offsets, but doesn't currently save it to a Point Group.  If you have consistent Point Numbers/Names, or consistent Descriptions, then you can sort on one of those colums and add whatever you want to a Point Group.  But it's a two-step process, rather than a one-step processs.

We'll add that to the list of improvements that are planned to the command.

I would have posted a link to the help file for the DisplayPoints command, but I recently updated my Firefox and it won't let me do it anymore.  Really annoying (maybe time to abandon Firefox?).  But I think I can paste a link:

http://www.quuxsoft.com/SincpacC3D_Help/SP_DisplayPoints.htm

This command could help simplify things, especially if you do it a lot.

Sinc
Message 20 of 21
Joe-Bouza

It wiil not be dynamic but one would not expect too much change in this type data: Station offset report in the tool box>>. asci file to Excel import as a table.

I guess that table would be dynamic to any manul changes to the points

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report