Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Point style - object orientation

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
jmayo-EE
1608 Views, 15 Replies

Point style - object orientation

Is there any benefit to setting the orientation reference from world to object? What object will a point align to?

John Mayo

EESignature

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
johngordon6189
in reply to: jmayo-EE

setting to object would inherit the rotation angle of said object on insertion. View can be handy, but I prefer world coordinates and rotate what needs to be rotated from there.
John Gordon
CAD Manager/Survey Technician

C3D 2018/2020
Microstation
Windows 10
Message 3 of 16
jmayo-EE
in reply to: johngordon6189

Thanks for the respone John but I'm still not sure what the object is. I understand a line label will align to the segment it's attached to but a point isn't attached to anything to get the angle from. What am I missing here? 

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 4 of 16
johngordon6189

I see your point... Testing something out here, but not getting expected result....
John Gordon

C3D 2018/2020
Microstation
Windows 10
Message 5 of 16
johngordon6189

I am baffled at the functionality of this setting. I don't see where it works, probably why I set up my point styles all the same at world coordinate system. Good query Mr. Mayo.
John Gordon

C3D 2018/2020
Microstation
Windows 10
Message 6 of 16
ToddRogers-WPM

Rotation angle is relative to an object it is attached to.

Todd Rogers
Message 7 of 16
ToddRogers-WPM

Better yet...

Rotates labels relative to the zero direction of the object. You can determine the zero direction of the object based on its start and end points. If the object vector changes at the anchor point on the label, the orientation updates automatically. This is the default setting.

Todd Rogers
Message 8 of 16
Pointdump

John,

Good question. I just tried every possible combination of orientation, for both point and label, and then again with the marker and label rotation changed to see if I could glean understanding. No luck. I have no idea.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 9 of 16
ToddRogers-WPM
in reply to: Pointdump

I use an example of this in my classes.  Here is how it works...

If you have your description keys set up with a marker rotation and label is set to object orientation, then the text will come in oriented to that marker.  If I have my Natural Grounds (NG) set up in description key set with a marker rotation of 45 degrees, then my text will come in at 45 degrees, rotated with the marker orientation.

Todd Rogers
Message 10 of 16
jmayo-EE
in reply to: ToddRogers-WPM

Todd,

The question is what is the 'object'?

Dave and everyone else,

Now I'm guessing it is just there as a standard style component that has no function for points.

Thanks for all of the input folks!

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 11 of 16
jmayo-EE

Ok so the object in this case is the description key variables. I'll have to do some testing to see if it provides any use for our field work.

Thanks.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 12 of 16
ToddRogers-WPM

Personally, I like the natural ground shots at 45 degrees, 60 leroy.  Just makes a cleaner drawing from the get go.

Todd Rogers
Message 13 of 16
jmayo-EE

We do that with an X block and have the point style rotate to view. Still need to mess with it to see what I can get from it though. 

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 14 of 16
ToddRogers-WPM

The "object" being the point style associated with it from the Description Key Set; whether it be a basic X or any other point style assigned to it from the Description Key Set.

Todd Rogers
Message 15 of 16
ewbFJ62P

But how do you associate the point with an object to inherit this rotation?  When I create points along a figure line, they don't rotate along said line...

Message 16 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: ewbFJ62P

I have the same doubt: how can I associate the point with an object to inherit this rotation? Can I rotate the cogo point using a alignment as reference (like the labels)?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report