Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Point Style Defined by Parameter $1

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
JMichalik5844
455 Views, 8 Replies

Point Style Defined by Parameter $1

I have looked high and low and can't find an answer to this.  Does anyone know if it is possible to have the point style for a shot match on Parameter $1 instead of $0?  For example on the following codes:

STORM MANHOLE

STORM INLET

I would like the Point Style for the first example be a manhole and the Point Style for the second be an Inlet.  As far as I can tell, there is no way to have it look past the first parameter "STORM" when defining the Point Style.  Is this correct?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
tcorey
in reply to: JMichalik5844

You're right. You would have to eliminate the space in the description. You can use _ or -, but the space tells Civil 3D that the description code is finished. It will read additional parameters for size and rotation values only. I can see where you're trying to go and that would be a nice feature....

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 9
JMichalik5844
in reply to: tcorey

Thanks,

That's what I was afraid of.  😞  I was hoping to simplify our coding process, but it looks like it may not work the way I wanted it to.  I was hoping I was missing some really cool and secret wild card or something.

Message 4 of 9

4-4-2012 8-46-10 AM.png

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager
Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 5 of 9

Hey Todd!  Didn't figure you'd be in today.  Specifically, what I am trying to do is convert our existing codes (from the LDD and Softdesk days) to take better advantage of the .FXL file format supported by Trimble.  As in the example you posted, things like Trees are no problem.  I can set the one code 'Tree', to fall into the 'Vegetation' point group and assign the 'tree' symbol to it, put it on the Vegetation layer and then use the parameters afterwards for my label style.  What I was hoping to be able to do was create a master category i.e. STORM in which those points would fall into the Storm point group, on the Storm Blocks layer BUT then read parameter $1 (MANHOLE, GRATE INLET, BB INLET, etc) to define the point style associated with that shot. I can definitely use the underscore or dash option, it just doesn't allow me to re-use as much of my current setup as I would like.  Thanks for the help!

Message 6 of 9
tcorey
in reply to: ToddRogers-WPM

Thanks Todd. I learned something new today!

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 7 of 9
ToddRogers-WPM
in reply to: tcorey

LOL...i learn something new everyday from all you guys!!

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager
Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 8 of 9
SurveyorLee
in reply to: JMichalik5844

yes,

use STORM M* for one

and STORM I* for the other

You may have a 6 character restriction.  IF you do, change it to "STRM M*" an STRM I*

I use STMH and STMI to differentiate them. 

This should work.

Surveyor Lee

Message 9 of 9

Hey Lee,

Thanks, I think that is what I will end up doing.  Not as clean as I would have liked, but still an improvement!  Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report