Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Point, point groups & Description keys are gone after crash

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
basurveys
360 Views, 4 Replies

Point, point groups & Description keys are gone after crash

Civil 3d 2012

I used 3d orbit, it crashed. My points, point groups and newly updated description keys are gone.

I have looked at all my backup files etc, and they do not want to display.

please advise?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Have you tried the drawing recovery manager (command DRAWINGRECOVERY?)

If you have an autocad .BAK file, it needs to be renamed to .DWG before you can open it.  

I rarely have time to post. If what I post helps please use Accept as Solution / Like when appropriate.

Check out my Civil 3d blog at: http://c3dk.com/
Message 3 of 5

I opened a .BAK file and it had everything in. So I am back to normal. I am worried if I send this drawing to a client and they open it in AutoCAD, will all the labels be visible or do I need to do any conversion? Additionally, If I save my latest file as a template, will that save all the description keys? Thanks for your help. Regards Byron Airey
Message 4 of 5

You can save this drawing as a template and it SHOULD save you descriptoin keys (that is not a feature I use alot, so I would try it first)

When I send Civil 3d drawings outside the office I will first send just the Civil 3d file, if they have the correct Object Enablers it should display correctly.

If I find they are having difficulty, I use the EXPORTTOAUTOCAD command.  (also found under FILE-EXPORT menu) This saves you Civil 3d file as plain AutoCAD entities.

Hope this helps!

I rarely have time to post. If what I post helps please use Accept as Solution / Like when appropriate.

Check out my Civil 3d blog at: http://c3dk.com/
Message 5 of 5
Jay_B
in reply to: basurveys

Yes saving your file will save both your Point Groups and Description Keys.

If this is meant to be a template you'll defiantly want to save the file as a dwt and set your qnew variable to this file in the files tab of options under template settings.
This way every time you invoke the New command or launch C3d using this profile it will use your dwt.
If your setting this up for a multi user environment it's highly recommended this file be stored in a network location with read only attributes on the folder.
If this file was around and in use for a while, be sure to purge registry applications and run an audit prior to putting it into production. Not a bad idea to do this anyhow.
C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report