Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Point label styles

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
tdrath
645 Views, 11 Replies

Point label styles

We recently upgraded from Civil 3d 2010 to 2012.  I have several different point style and labels at different roatations and sizes.  Why doesn't the Point label roatate with the point style anymore?  Is there a setting that I can't find?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Sinc
in reply to: tdrath

Did you start using a different template when you moved to 2012?  If you haven't already, you should probably create your own custom template, and start getting it setup the way you want.  Then you can migrate it forward to new releases.  You might need to do some manual setup or import some stuff to support new features, but for the most part, you can keep using your familiar template.

But the setting you're looking for is probably in the Point Label Style, General tab -> Behavior -> Orientation Reference.  Set it to Object, and the label will rotate with the Point Marker.

Sinc
Message 3 of 12
tdrath
in reply to: Sinc

I had it set to object but it does not rotate with the Point style.

Message 4 of 12
JessieQuilatan

tdrath-

Click on the point. Hover over the marker grip (do not click on the grip). A list will appear. choose "rotate label and marker".

Link to a Autodesk movie: Autodesk Label Rotation

Michael Merlino
Civil Engineering Technician / "CAD Manager"
SAN JOSE, CA, USA
Message 5 of 12
msorensen

I am having the same problem.  Just got 2012 installed Friday night.  Don't want to click on every point - it's a several block long survey.  My label styles are set to object, but they are not performing that way.  Did anyone ever find a fix for this?

Melody

Message 6 of 12
BrianHailey
in reply to: msorensen

As a possible work around, select the points that you want to have the labels rotated on, go to your AutoCAD Properties, and change the rotation there. You can do several thousand points at the same time using this method.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 7 of 12
msorensen

I discovered what my problem is and I AM NOT HAPPY AUTODESK.  The initial survey was done in Land Desktop.  I used C3D v2010 to start my design.  I spent a lot of time getting all my points rotated just the way I wanted them after setting the initial point rotation in the point style.  V2012 has taken my point rotation and set it to zero and made my label rotation match the rotation of the points in the older drawing. This is way not cool.  Now my drawing isn't nearly so useful and is costing my company money. 

Next upgrade Autodesk, why don't you fix things that are broken instead of breaking things that work great?  Like the commands that you have to escape out of because there is no way to exit as just one example.  You have a really bad habit of making the new default something that will be useful to some and really incovenience the rest.

Melody Sorensen

Message 8 of 12
msorensen
in reply to: BrianHailey

Um, doesn't work well.  I want to rotate the points on one side of the road one way and the points on the other side of the road the other way.  But thanks anyway.

Melody

Message 9 of 12
BrianHailey

Yes, in that situation my suggestion doesn't work well but if they all need to be rotated the same, it works great.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 10 of 12
Sinc
in reply to: BrianHailey

Maybe a third-party solution might help, if you're open to one...?

http://www.quuxsoft.com/SincpacC3D_Help/SP_RotateAligned.htm

Sinc
Message 11 of 12
msorensen
in reply to: Sinc

Thanks, while I may be open to your solution, IT is most definitely not.

Melody

Message 12 of 12
Sinc

Too bad.  IT shouldn't drive decisions like that.  Their job is to support the people who are the money-makers for the company, and make sure they can do work in the most-effective way possible.  If they don't do that, then they are a detriment, rather than the benefit they should be.

Sinc

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report