Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Point Insertion (without defined desc. key) into a Specific Layer

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
lhampton
771 Views, 12 Replies

Point Insertion (without defined desc. key) into a Specific Layer

I am in the process of making my desc keys/styles/layers etc. I have it all pretty much stamped out, accept i cant for the life of me get civil to dump points WITHOUT a known desc. key into a specific layer, as of now my setup dumps points WITOUT known desc. keys into the Current Layer and not the one i select in the "_AllPoints" group's assigned style.

Suggestions?

Intel i7 2600 /z68 Gigabyte
8gigs DDR3 1800
Intel 320 Series SSD
Quadro 600 (1gig)
C3D 2016 / LDT 2009 / Win7 x64
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
stacy.dunn
in reply to: lhampton

Create a separate key file with one key in it using the code ~?.  Put this key file at the bottom of the list when importing data.  Any point not matched by your normal list will be caught by this one.  I use this key to prepend "NO MATCH" to the full description.  I then have a pre-created point group that includes "NO MATCH*".  This will place all of the unmatched points in one group for further processing.

You could also set your default point setting to put them into a particular layer and then isolate it and add it manually to a group.

Stacy Dunn
Message 3 of 13
lhampton
in reply to: stacy.dunn

Alright, that worked! So now I have one more problem, when I import points from a point file, when I import its almost all working right, all accept the "Begin" or "b" points the surveyors use, come in on the current layer and not the correct one as defined in the Desc. Key file....

See attached image, everything comes in correct accept the "b" and "e" stuff for the lines 

8gigs DDR3 1800
Intel 320 Series SSD
Quadro 600 (1gig)
Message 4 of 13
stacy.dunn

Since the introduction of line work code sets, you can put linework codes after the description.  If your field crews are used to the autodesk style of coding they will be happy for the switch, since with this change they can have multiple line codes in a single shot.

For example:

B EDGEPAV would be EDGEPAV B.

In the short term, you can convert the file to a field book and import through the survey database.  This will strip out the linework codes.

Stacy Dunn
Message 5 of 13
lhampton

Thanks, Its gonna be hard trying to get these guys to break that habbit they have used for almost 20 years. Decisions like that is the reason everyone is so irate and pissed about the civil switch.

8gigs DDR3 1800
Intel 320 Series SSD
Quadro 600 (1gig)
Message 6 of 13
stacy.dunn

They don't have to switch.  You can still import field books with the old coding style via the survey database. 

Most of the crews we work with would rather have the new style since it allows for less shots in the field. 

Stacy Dunn
Message 7 of 13
lhampton

What is the procidure to convert a .txt (PNEZD) to a .fbk? I understand how to do the oppisite inside civil after the import (with the network) but am confused about how exactly to convert it before the import so that the "b" and "e" stuff gets tossed and it works right.

8gigs DDR3 1800
Intel 320 Series SSD
Quadro 600 (1gig)
Message 8 of 13
stacy.dunn

Use Survey Data Collection Link to convert an ascii coordinate file to an autodesk field book with linework.  It is located in the home tab of the ribbon under "Create Ground Data".  There are other tools such as Stringer Connect if you don't like Survey Link.

You can then import the field book into a survey database using either the import survey data wizard or import the fieldbook directly into a network.

Stacy Dunn
Message 9 of 13
lhampton

Thanks a ton for your help! So now ive hit another snag, I get them imported, and it appears that my 'no match' desc. key file is being picked up first and its throwing all the points on the MISC layer. Earlyer you said that I should put my "no match" desc. key file "at the bottom of the list" when importing, im sure this is whats causing this, I just dont know how to switch the order in which civil uses the desc. key files....

Procedure?

8gigs DDR3 1800
Intel 320 Series SSD
Quadro 600 (1gig)
Message 10 of 13
stacy.dunn

In the Settings tab under points, right click on Description Key Sets and choose Properties.  A Description Key Set Search Order dialog box will appear.  Make sure that the "No Match" key set is at the bottom of the list and click OK.  You can then select all of your points, right click and re-apply the description keys.

Stacy Dunn
Message 11 of 13
lhampton

Awesome, thanks again... My order was right after I checked it, turns out it was a style attached to the _AllPoints group, I added this earlier trying to solve my first problem, deleted the style and its working now.

Now I need to figure out how to insert correctly sized trees according to description (as you can see from my pic above) the descriptions read like "trd 5.3 8", stands for Deciduous Tree (trd) 5.3" diameter at breast height by 8ft dripline, i need a deciduous tree symbol (block) inserted and scaled to the 8ft dripline at the node... Any links you suggest i read?

8gigs DDR3 1800
Intel 320 Series SSD
Quadro 600 (1gig)
Message 12 of 13
stacy.dunn

Description keys work the same way they did in LDD.  You can choose a parameter ($2) to use as a scale factor for the symbols.

Stacy Dunn
Message 13 of 13
lhampton

Once again, thanks for the help, i was able to get the desc key in there for the scaled trees no problem after looking at my old file.

Thanks Stacy you are truly an angel!

8gigs DDR3 1800
Intel 320 Series SSD
Quadro 600 (1gig)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report