Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Point importation with Trimble Link in Civil 3D 2014

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Jean-MarieJacobs8914
2024 Views, 8 Replies

Point importation with Trimble Link in Civil 3D 2014

We would like to use the Trimble Link with Civil 3D but there is a problem: the importation process of measured points distincts between alphanumeric (for example: 1.01, 1.02, S1, S2, …) point names and non-alphanumeric point names (for example: 1, 2, 3, 100, 101, 102, …). Civil gives the alphanumeric points a “point name” and the non-alphanumeric points a “point-number”. This gives a mix of different types of points in one draw.

This problem of two types of points would force us to create for example point labels for these two categories of points or other...

Is it possible to put all points in one category? We like to use this Trimble Link because the measured points contain more information (for example how the points has been taken) as if you import the points with a CSV data.

We ask our Trimble Seller about this problem and they answered it is an importation problem from Civil and we ask our Civil seller and they say it is a problem from Trimble.

We know we should change our way of encoding our points, but we find our method handy because the point number shows us from which station it has been taken…

Thank you very much!

Labels (2)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

You can create your own Point File Format that includes a column for Point Number and another for Point Name. Open the CSV with Excel and add point numbers to that column, while the name column would be the point identifier supplied by your Trimble software (1.01, S1, 12, whatever.) When you import the points into Civil 3D, be sure to specify this new Point File Format.

You would end up with something like:

1,1.01,1000.00,1000.00,100.00,Found IP

2,S4,2000.00,2000.00,200.00,AnotherPoint

When you import the points into Civil 3D, be sure to specify this new Point File Format.

If you want the Trimble-supplied point identifiers to show on the drawing, just make a point label style that displays Point Name instead of (or along with) Point Number.

Best regards,

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 9

The method Tim suggests is probably the best way forward, but will preclude the use of Trimble Link to import data as it creates a FBK (fieldbook file - which there are some issues with, another topic).

I haven't tested it but I believe that if you setup a point file format that has Point Name instead of point number and import your CSV then Civil3D will automatically assign a point number. If it does not do it automatically you may need to change some setting in the drawing.

Point file format could be - Point Name, Northing, Easting, Point elevation, Raw Description

Caleb Baildon
Senior Surveyor
Opus International Consultants Ltd
Wellington, New Zealand
Civil3D 2015 - Windows10
Message 4 of 9

If you use a custom import that places your X.X style in the name field you will end up with two numbers for every point: the drawing point number and the field point number. This may work for your purposes.

I would recommend looking into FBK files and the survey database. This will preserve your observation data so that you can source points back to the setup point they were observed from.

Ian McClain
Message 5 of 9
tcorey
in reply to: cbaildon001

Caleb, you're right. The step of adding a point number to the csv file is unnecessary. Thanks!

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 6 of 9

Civil3d simply does not handle point names in an efficient manner in my opinion.  This can cause issues, as you've seen, when importing trimble products (and more other data collector field software that efficiently manages point name and/or alpha numeric characters).  I realize this does nothing to answer your question but felt the need to point it out.

Message 7 of 9
sboon
in reply to: _Hathaway

I'm not sure why you would say that Mike.  I've been using point names exclusively for several years now.  We edited the Point File formats in our template and replaced all references to point number with point name.  We also edited all of our point label styles the same way.  Users generally don't even notice the difference, they can import points that with either numeric or alphabetic identification, and just work with them.

The only real hassle with this system is that some of the reporting tools insist on using point numbers.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 8 of 9
cbaildon001
in reply to: sboon

That's brilliant Steve.

I'm just being lazy here and not looking myself (although I will do). When you say reporting tools I presume you mean "toolbox" reports? Or some other reporting tools? Because as far as I am aware no one in my company uses toolbox reports for any cogo point type reports.

PS Opps. Just reread Mikes reply. If you import FBK files (as I do) then I don't know of anyway of telling Civil3D the unique point identifiers to use the point name field. If anyone knows a work around to this please let us know.

Regards

Caleb Baildon
Senior Surveyor
Opus International Consultants Ltd
Wellington, New Zealand
Civil3D 2015 - Windows10
Message 9 of 9
sboon
in reply to: cbaildon001

My workflow goes back to before there was a Survey database, so I almost never use it.  I tried an experiment and found that I can import point files to a survey database using point names.  The point number field is empty when I do it this way but it seems to work OK.  I don't know why the fbk system only uses point numbers, but it seems like it should be possible to use names instead.

Yes - toolbox reports.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report