Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Point import problem

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
kawdog
251 Views, 7 Replies

Point import problem

When I import a PNEZD point file directly into C3D 2008 the points come in rotated 90 degrees and mirrored. When I import the same file into 2007 they come in correctly like they always have. Does anyone know of some setting I need to change or something that would cause this. Forgive my ignorance on this issue. Thanks.
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
tcorey
in reply to: kawdog

Can you post the ascii point file and the drawing file?

Tim Corey
Delta Engineering Systems
Redding, CA

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 8
kawdog

Here is the .asc file but I don't think it will be of much help. It is just a standard points file and it imports correctly in C3D 2007 and into other programs such as Terramodel. The drawing file is just the standard Civil 3D template (Imperial) NCS extended that has not been modified. It does the same thing regardless of what drawing is used. It has to be some sort of setting or something since it is doing something specific, rotating 90 degrees and mirroring. Thanks.
Message 4 of 8
tcorey

Kawdog, this file works the same in 2007 and 2008 for me. See the png of the screen shot attached.

Usually when we see a mirroring of data, it is because the Northing and Easting have been reversed. For example, the import format is looking for northing, but the column in the ascii file is really easting. One easy way to do this is if you accidentally pick PENZD instead of PNEZD from the format list. I've seen this happen dozens of times, even with very experienced users.

Double check that and if that's not the problem, look closely at your import format to be sure that it is not screwed up. Are you sure the PNEZD format isn't asking for easting in the second column? Maybe someone screwed around with your template drawing and made this change without you knowing it?

Tim Corey

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

Perhaps your UCS is set to something other than world?

Sincerely,
Drew Burgasser
CAD Masters, Inc.
www.cadmasters.com

wrote in message news:5592499@discussion.autodesk.com...
When I import a PNEZD point file directly into C3D 2008 the points come in
rotated 90 degrees and mirrored. When I import the same file into 2007 they
come in correctly like they always have. Does anyone know of some setting I
need to change or something that would cause this. Forgive my ignorance on
this issue. Thanks.
Message 6 of 8
kawdog

Lol, yeah, that was it, I guess I need to get some new glasses. I thought I was going crazy. Thanks guys, I knew it would be something simple and obvious. I set my import to PENZD and it was saved, so everytime I tried to import it was all screwed up. Whats the definition of insanity again?
Message 7 of 8
variablek

been there done that! 🙂 not quite as insane as you thought 🙂
Message 8 of 8
tcorey

It's funny how even those of us who consider ourselves to be experienced users can miss the simplest things sometimes. It's humbling...

Tim Corey

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report