Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Point identity - point number reset to 1

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
lkirby
5258 Views, 13 Replies

Point identity - point number reset to 1

I'm trying to calc points manually on an older project that already has a bunch of points.  My current drawing has none but when I go to Points>Create Points>Point Identity>Next Point Number and set it to 3000, when I create the next point, it still goes to the lowest available point number that would have been the next in the sequence had I started at 1, so when trying to creat point number '3008', it gives me '9' instead.  Is there somewhere else to change the next number in the sequence or do I just have to suck it up and edit all the point numbers after I'm done?

C3D 2013

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
albionpjl
in reply to: lkirby

I just had some questions about points and the answer plus a bit more info should get you there. (I had to reset the point number after fiddling so had to work out how to do it)

You want the edit command settings box for points.

Go here

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D/Points-creation-change-default-local-coordinates-perm...

Scroll to the answer with the screenie. Open that same dialogue box he said, and then scroll down to point identity. Change next number there and save. It worked for me.

Message 3 of 14
lkirby
in reply to: albionpjl

thanks for that - it didn't fix this issue but helped with something else I've been having trouble with Smiley Happy

I think I found a bit of a work-around but it's still annoying.  If I change my point creation method (go from manual to station/offset, etc) the point numbers reset again.  If I can choose my point creation method, set my next point number, then create points without changing the method, it will stay at the correct number.  I just have to remember to change it again for my next chunk of points each time.

Message 4 of 14
mathewkol

The way you're doing it (within the points creation toolbar) does it only for that session. To change it permanently you need to change that same setting but in the settings tab and then r click Points and edit feature settings.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 5 of 14
lkirby
in reply to: mathewkol

After wrestling with it more yesterday I think I've actually run into some sort of bug.  It's really not consistent.  I am able to change the point number under point creation and it will create a few points in the correct number series but when I exit the command but the point creation window is still open, then I try to create more points, it either resets back to 1 or it resets back to the first number that I manually changed it to, not whatever number I left off on.  It's really strange.  On top of all of this, it will allow me to make a few points but after a couple, not changing anything but just going along continuously, the command line will still be asking for point description and elevation but the points are not actually being created.  

The end of yesterday was creating a new dwg and inserting the old one as a block.  The dwg I started with was a 3rd party file so hopefully this was all just some weird glitch and this will fix it.  I'll respond back with what I come up with today.

Message 6 of 14
lkirby

I've been working on this now the past couple hours and I'm pretty convinced it was a glitch.  Point numbers are now behaving as expected when I manually set my starting number so I guess we can add this to the bug list.

Message 7 of 14
annw2

They still haven't made it easy to set the next point # in 2014.  I couldn't find it either.

As I was in a new file, I just created all the points, then found the point renumber function and renumbered everything to the correct range.

This makes me miss the days of LDD.  It was simple to set point #'s there.

Ann Wingert, P.E.
Message 8 of 14
Pointdump
in reply to: annw2

Ann W,

There's a subtle distinction involved with changing the value for "Next Point Number". Changing it in CreatePoints under Commands makes it "stick".

Next_Point.png

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 9 of 14
annw2
in reply to: Pointdump

So THAT's where they hid it.

Where is the little accept as solution button?  It vanished.

Ann Wingert, P.E.
Message 10 of 14
Pointdump

Ann,

You don't have an "Accept as Solution" button because you weren't the Original Poster. 

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 11 of 14
annw2

So that's how it works. I still wanted to say thank you to the person who helped.
Ann Wingert, P.E.
Message 12 of 14
Jay_B

@annw2 wrote:
So that's how it works. I still wanted to say thank you to the person who helped.

Ann,

You can still click the Kudos button below the post which helped you as a way of saying thanks. Smiley Wink

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 13 of 14
NeillBoyle

Thanks,
I was looking for that for mostt of the afternoon!
Message 14 of 14
neezo89
in reply to: NeillBoyle

Hi guys,
I have a problem regarding numbering
Actually I have a block contains a cogo point lets say its no 7
I copy this block in the drawing randomly
and After that I Explode them once a time because I need to deal with the cogo points
the problem that when You explode them the notification appears for each point exploded and saty that till it ends although you put tick
on apply for all points but it still because civil understand the first name each time 7

I removed notify from setting if thereis dublication and forced name and use next counter it stills

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report