Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Point File Formats list order

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
cbaildon001
629 Views, 9 Replies

Point File Formats list order

Does anyone know how the order of the list of Point File Formats is controlled?

We have a large list of formats predefined for doing coordinate transformations between various coordinate systems, but there does not seem to be any logical order to the list of formats.

Can I change the order of the list?

Regards

Caleb Baildon
Senior Surveyor
Opus International Consultants Ltd
Wellington, New Zealand
Civil3D 2015 - Windows10
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
tcorey
in reply to: cbaildon001

You can sort by name in the Toolspace Settings Preview window, but not in the main Settings window.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 10
cbaildon001
in reply to: tcorey

Thanks Tim.

Where the order really matters though is where the average user needs to specify the file format, which is in Import/Export/Transfer windows.

Interestingly the Export and Transfer windows have dropdown lists to specify the file format and this is in alphabetical order. Great.

But in the Import points window you get a list to scroll through which in the same random order as in the main settings window. Is there any way to change the order in this window so user can find what they want in the list easily?

Caleb Baildon
Senior Surveyor
Wellington, New Zealand
Civil3D 2015 - Windows10
Message 4 of 10
AllenJessup

After you load the point file into the Import Points dialog box. Turning on Filtering will eliminate any format that does not match the delimiters found in the file. So if it's a comma delimited file all the space delimited files will be eliminated from the list.

I know this doesn't do anything for sorting but it will cut down on the choices available.

Allen

fi.PNG

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 10
cbaildon001
in reply to: AllenJessup

Thanks for the replies.

Filtering does help a little but the vast majority of our formats are CSV so the list is still quite long.

I'm sure this list is supposed to sort properly, so I'll report it as a bug to be fixed.

Regards

Caleb Baildon
Senior Surveyor
Wellington, New Zealand
Civil3D 2015 - Windows10
Message 6 of 10
C_William_Lee

Maybe they'll get around to fixing this on the 10-year anniversary of your post, but probably not.

Message 7 of 10
tcorey
in reply to: C_William_Lee

Maybe OP was the only one who complained.   😉

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Message 8 of 10
caleb.baildon

It's OK. I've moved on with my life, but it is funny to see these posts 10yrs on. It just shows how slowly some tech moves when some others have changed so much! 👍 

Message 9 of 10
tcorey
in reply to: caleb.baildon

My response was meant to be tongue-in-cheek. Of course others have had the same problem. I've had a couple of my own customers call about this over the years. It's annoying, an imperfection. 

A workaround would be to setup multiple templates that include only the appropriate point file formats for the zone assigned to that particular template. Delete the rest, shortening the list. 

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Message 10 of 10
caleb.baildon

So was mine, but I obviously need to employ more emojis 😉

Thanks for the advice and the banter. It's what we need a bit of to get through this Covid 19 lockdown, as a surveyor I'm going a bit stir crazy.

"be strong and be kind" - Ardern

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report