Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

point extraction from a block

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
achillesgr
298 Views, 3 Replies

point extraction from a block

Hello, I have incerted a DWG as a block in a drawing because I wanted to align some geometry. This block contained some Cogo whitch are showing fine in the new drawing . I am not able to see these points in point edit panorama. If I explode the block the points become blocks and looses all the information as cogo point had. How can I pull out the points from the block ? Thanks!
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
mfernandes
in reply to: achillesgr

I just tested it out.
Drawing A has C3D cogo points
In Drawing B insert drawing A

Drawing B does not have any C3D points but you can see the points because they are in the block drawing. Works as designed.
In Drawing B Explode the inserted block Drawing A
I now have C3D points in Drawing B.

Make sure you explode the block only once.

secondly, as a side note, for your consideration.
Consider using survey database workflow for the sharing of points and Data shortcuts for other C3D objects

Message 3 of 4
achillesgr
in reply to: mfernandes

Thanks for the reply,

yes it works. it doesn t work if i change the scale of the block drawing and input something other than 1.000 .

if i rotate the block without changing the scale it works too. i get c3d points when i explode .

i need this because i am trying to do some coordinate transformations between two systems and i mustalso use a scale factor.

is there a way to do it? yes i can use the tranformation under settings but it seems a lot more work than just exploding a block.

if i use the transformation what hapens to the linework?

how you guys do in the situations like that?

thanks again

Message 4 of 4
mfernandes
in reply to: achillesgr

You had me thinking there.Smiley Wink

Anyway I went back and scaled my point block drawing  i.e. Drawing A, and I was still able to explode and have my C3D points.

What surprised me, was that although I scaled and exploded my drawing the original elevations were still retained while the N,E scaled correctly.Smiley Surprised

Unlike AutoCAD objects where the Z is also scaled.

I think I realize what you are attempting to do, that is, converting from a local coordinate system or from one zone to another.

Not exactly a clean way of doing it, however, if you are the only one working on the project you may get away with this workflow.

However, if you are working in a collaborative environment, I strongly suggest you look at utilizing the Survey data base workflow, as well as Map3D tools for AutoCAD objects.

In the survey data base you are able to set coordinate zone that are independent from your drawing’s zone. C3D will look after the conversion.

You also have the ability to translate your survey data base from a local coordinate to know zone.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report