Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Point elevation takes on elevation of snapped object

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
dcanete
891 Views, 7 Replies

Point elevation takes on elevation of snapped object

Hi All,

When I snap a point to an object, the point takes on the elevation of the object. I would rather the point's elevation stay as is.

I realize this topic has been discussed on other forums but I have tried all the suggested solutions with no success:

-changing osnapz variable

-latest civil 3d service pack

A few weeks ago I did not have this problem but once my computer was switched to the company's global server and c3d was reinstalled the problem appeared. Furthermore (post switchover), when a colleage of mine prepared a simple test drawing with just a line and a point, he was able to snap to that line without the point changing elevation. When he sent that drawing to me and I tried snapping the point to the object, the same problem occured with the point taking the elevation of the line object. I suspect it is a system variable issue - any comment or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Derrick Canete

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Jeff_M
in reply to: dcanete

The version and Service Pack you are using is?

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 3 of 8
dcanete
in reply to: Jeff_M

Civil 3d 2012 service pack 2.

Service pack 2.1 is on the autodesk website - I downloaded and tried to install but it said that my CAD was already up-to-date.

Message 4 of 8
Jeff_M

What you are seeing the designed behavior for moving points. It was actually broke in pre-SP2 C3D2012. See the beginning of THIS thread for a lively discussion. Also see the readme doc for the SP2 (or Sp2.1).

EESignature
Message 5 of 8
dcanete
in reply to: Jeff_M

Hey Jeff thanks for your reply. I understand that autodesk designed the points to change elevation when snapped to other objects, but is there no other way to toggle this behavior on or off?

Message 6 of 8
Jeff_M

No, this cannot be toggled. You could write a program to do it, or you could get it via a 3rd party program such as SincpacC3D. (This command is available in the unlicensed version..IOW, it's free)

EESignature
Message 7 of 8
ccoles

Try setting 'OSNAPZ' to 1. This should make the snap a 2D snap, not a 3D snap. The points should retain their original elevation. Set it back to 0 to restore it to 3D.

PS- Oops, I noticed you tried OSNAPZ. I just tried it, and it let me move the point and snap to all kinds of objects without changing the Z. With OSNAPZ off, it assumes the elevation of whatever the snapped object is.

Windows 7 64-bit
Dell Precision T5610, Dual-Xeon 2.6Ghz, 16 Gig RAM
Civil 3D 2013
Message 8 of 8
troma
in reply to: ccoles

I think the point made was that with the move command you can use osnapz to ignore the z of the snapped object.  But if you just grab the point and drag it with the grip it will always assume the z of the object. (Apart from one release of C3D, if I read the discussion correctly.)

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report