Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Point Clouds Civil 3D 2011

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
mlohr
995 Views, 5 Replies

Point Clouds Civil 3D 2011

Does anyone know how to see the elevations assigned to individual points in a typical point cloud? Selecting an idividual point selects the point cloud object instead. Floating your cursor over the individual points returns a preview box that has an elevation field and a value, but as you around in the point cloud, it keeps returning the same value, even when the points colored by elevation range indicate they are greatly different elevations.

I know you can create a surface from the point cloud data and then get elevation data from the surface. And I know you have several ways to display the elevations using the point cloud style, but was hoping there was a way to directly see the individual point elevations.

I am working with a cloud generated by attaching LAS files processed from  LIDAR data.

Thanks for any help.

Tags (3)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
tcorey
in reply to: mlohr

Type ID at the command prompt. Snap to a Node.

If you need to do several and don't want to start the ID command over and over, type Multiple [enter] at the command line and enter ID when it asks which command to run.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 6
mlohr
in reply to: tcorey

Sounds super easy.  I hadn't tried to use ID. I thought since it selected the entire cloud upon picking, it couldn't recognize the individual entities.

I elevations in the point cloud are in meters and I need them in feet to use with another surface to create cross sections. I looked for a way to export a group of points from the cloud to a csv file, but no luck. Any ideas on that?

Thanks for your quick response Tim. 

Message 4 of 6
Hidden_Brain

create a tin surface from this point cloud using a metric template, then landxml the surface out and landxml back in to a fresh drawing created with an imperial template (or your project drawing if it already in imperial).
Message 5 of 6
mlohr
in reply to: Hidden_Brain

Thank you Avishek. I see where this would change the meters to feet, but would it also change the Z (elevation) values associated with the point cloud points?

There is a nuance in that while C3D lets you set a horizontal datum (coordinate system) and units (meter or feet) it does not allow you (that I know of) to specify a Vertical Datum. In my part of the world, there are two datums in use (NAVD88/NGVD29) and they differ by a little over one foot in my area.In low lying tidal areas this difference can be important.

If I had a surface generated from standard C3D points, I would export the points to a CSV file and do the conversion, then import back in.  AutoDesk is lacking in the ability to manipulate the vertical elevations of 3D point data internal to the program. Or I am lacking that knowledge.

Message 6 of 6
Hidden_Brain

Give the landxml export-import a try, i am pretty sure that it will change the vertical as well.

As for changing between NAVD88/NGVD29, you can use the AutoCAD Move command to move entities up or down as:
Move from: 0,0,0
Move to: 0,0,1 (this will move the contours up by 1 ft)

For tin surfaces, you can either use move command or a different command called RAISELOWERSURFACE.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report