Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Point Block Scale Issue? Civil 3D 2011

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
DeaconDave
3463 Views, 10 Replies

Point Block Scale Issue? Civil 3D 2011

When I import points from a CSV file, the blocks applied to my points are being inserted at random scales, in the same drawing.  All of my blocks with text in them are created using the same text style and set to the same height...my point styles are all set to use drawing scale at 0.100"...and my description key fixed scales are set to 1.0.  Is there another setting that I'm over-looking that would set the scale of individual blocks upon insertion?  I have attached a screen shot of two separate cogo points, imported from the same CSV file, using two different point styles that have identical attributes and yet they're two different sizes. 

~Civil 3D 2011 

Thanks in advance 

David King
Civil Designer
C3D 2014 SP2
C3D 2015 SP3
C3D 2018 SP2
Win 7 Pro - 64 Bit OS
Intel Xeon CPU E5-1603 @ 2.80 GHz
8 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600
Tags (1)
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Sinc
in reply to: DeaconDave

You didn't give us a lot to go on, but without being able to see how you have stuff setup, my first guess is to try changing your Desc Keys so that no scaling at all happens there (i.e., make sure "Scale Parameter" is NOT checked).

Sinc
Message 3 of 11
DeaconDave
in reply to: Sinc

Sinc-

"You didn't give us a lot to go on..." Please tell me your being facetious Smiley Wink.  The only thing I can really add is that the actual blocks in the image provided is "1" CIRF" and the magenta circle and "1/2" CIRF" and the magenta circle (very simple blocks), the cyan text is a label style.

I did as suggested and unchecked the fixed scale in my description keys then re-applied my description keys to my points but it didn't change anything.

Any other ideas? 

David King
Civil Designer
C3D 2014 SP2
C3D 2015 SP3
C3D 2018 SP2
Win 7 Pro - 64 Bit OS
8 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600
Message 4 of 11
Sinc

Without being able to see how you have things setup, it's a guessing game...  Kind of like "I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 100...  Which number am I thinking of?"

We might eventually be able to guess the right answer.  But it would help immensely if you could post a drawing.

Sinc
Message 5 of 11
willpyle7693

are the two points coming in in the same point group? do you have the scales set so that the different sizes indicated in the description affect the scales? i would not think this is the case. if you have exploded the block from the point and changed the scale of the drawing this will cause the exploded block not to scale properly. try regenall?

Message 6 of 11
DeaconDave
in reply to: Sinc

I apologize for the delay.  I have attached a copy of the drawing in question. 

David King
Civil Designer
C3D 2014 SP2
C3D 2015 SP3
C3D 2018 SP2
Win 7 Pro - 64 Bit OS
8 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600
Message 7 of 11
stacy.dunn

The scaling issue is caused by the text within the block you are using as a point symbol.  Civil 3D will scale the block to the specified height unless fixed scale is used.  The height of the block is calculated on the entents of its contents.  Since the text 1" is smaller in plotted height than 1/2", the former is scaled more than the latter. 

You can test this by editing a block used in a point style.  You can scale the block contents all day long and the resulting point symbol will not change.  If you add another entity to the block, the size will be re-calculated and the symbol will appear different.

I would recomend eliminating the text from your symbols and create label style for this.  The end result will look the same, but you will have more flexibility with the label styles than the point symbols.

Stacy Dunn
Message 8 of 11
rl_jackson

Also, to add to what Stacy said,

You could adjust your Desc. Key to be just

CIR* with a format of $1" CIRF

This would require a small change in field codes to

CIR 1 (note the space)

CIR 1/2 (you would need the slash)

These would return

1" CIRF or 1/2" CIRF

This could be accomplished from a single DESC KEY verse multiple keys for the sizes, and you could always upload the Decription Key to the Field Crews Data Collector

For more info on this check the Help do a Search for Description Key Format

Rick

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 9 of 11
DeaconDave
in reply to: stacy.dunn

Stacy -

I had a feeling there was a "hidden rule" that C3D was using but I couldn't quite put my finger on it.  Thank you.

I appreciate everyone's input.  Unfortunately, we have clients that are still a bit old school and want their point label components on separate layers.  So, I'm subject to putting the description in the block on it's own layer.  Maybe I can just add spaces to the label within my block to trick C3D into scaling my blocks evenly?

Thanks to everyone. Smiley Happy

David King
Civil Designer
C3D 2014 SP2
C3D 2015 SP3
C3D 2018 SP2
Win 7 Pro - 64 Bit OS
8 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600
Message 10 of 11
rl_jackson

You should check out this article by Sinc,

http://www.ejsurveying.com/Articles/C3DPointStyles.aspx

Rick

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 11 of 11
stacy.dunn

You can assign different layers to the point label that will do the same thing as you are describing.

Adding spaces to the text will not fix the height of the different letters.  In the case of your drawing it is the backslash that is causing the overall height to change.  You would have to use a font that had a consistent height for all the characters to make it work.

Stacy Dunn

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report