Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PNEZD file import issue.

34 REPLIES 34
SOLVED
Message 1 of 35
afdelarosa
8310 Views, 34 Replies

PNEZD file import issue.

Hello,

New to Civil3D 2012, so please bear with me.

I have a point file with <null> elevations. Somehow it won't let me import this .txt file (using pnezd comma delimited) into my .dwg. If I have elevations I have no problems. We tried creating a pned (comma delimited) and the <null> having an unused column and it didn't work.

Ideas? Thanks in advance.

34 REPLIES 34
Message 21 of 35
afdelarosa
in reply to: Jeff_M

Something similar to that was tried, but it came with the same error.

My descriptions are not importing still.

Message 22 of 35
IanMcClain
in reply to: afdelarosa

Can you attach the file?

Ian McClain
Message 23 of 35
afdelarosa
in reply to: IanMcClain

Which file? I had posted images of the .txt file and the import settings.

Thanks.

Message 24 of 35
Jeff_M

OK, then as Ian and someone else has asked, if you could post the file (or at least the first 10 lines of it) I'm sure someone could figure this out. And by 'the file', that means the actual text file, not an image of it.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 25 of 35
afdelarosa

Message 26 of 35
Jeff_M

OK, I just used the exact procedure I described before and the points come in fine. If you are keeping the elevation column in the point file format style, then both the original and your new will fail because the values are not numbers. By choosing the <not used> type for the elevation column it ignores these values. This is the file you just posted imported using doing just this.

4-20-2012 2-47-08 PM.png

EESignature
Message 27 of 35
IanMcClain

Ok, just remove the quotes. When I said do a find and replace "<null>" with "0", I meant replace/use what was between the quotes.

Just for future refrence, when importing point files C3D doesn't like special characters. For instance if you had a description like TREE 10" OAK it would be truncated to TREE 10. For some reasone quotation marks end a description or in your case, skip the field entirely.

Ian McClain
Message 28 of 35
afdelarosa

Good morning,

And thank you for responding. I replaced the "0" for 0 and the descriptions came in. So, if my point file has the " or any other special character in any field, it will void some of the fields?

My description column didn't have special characters.

Thanks!

Message 29 of 35
IanMcClain

You had two " characters, one before and one after the 0. The first one truncated the elevation field, and the second truncated the description field. I don't know why those symbols do that, but they have always done it since I have been using autodesk software. It probably served some purpose in earlier versions.

Ian McClain
Message 30 of 35
mevinger

Just ran across this while trying to import a 17,000 point file.  The data was good, C3D doesn't like a header in the .csv file.  That should be better documented by Adesk 😐  Or better yet, work a checkbox to say "my file has headers" or lines to ignore like the competition can do...

This WON'T work until you remove the header line from the .csv file.

PNTNO,N,E,ELEV,DESC

1,0,0,0,dESCRIPtIONS

3,2,2,2,DESC2

This succeeds:

1,0,0,0,dESCRIPtIONS

3,2,2,2,DESC2

-- Mark Evinger

Message 31 of 35
parteekwitt
in reply to: wfberry

Could anyone please send me any PNZED txt file.

I am a student and I am learning based on the limited resources available to me.

Email: parteekwitt@gmail.com

Thank you very much in advance

Message 32 of 35
wfberry
in reply to: parteekwitt

Please note, your request for a PNZED is much different than a PNEZD file.  I am submitting a PNEZD file "Notepad" text file.

Bill 

Keep in mind that I am a one man company and my descriptions are "my own".  I look in the mirror and see all my employees.

Message 33 of 35
parteekwitt
in reply to: wfberry

Thank you very much for your help sir. 

From the file which you sent me I am getting a surface like this

Surface 1.jpg

Could you please send me a txt file which looks like below 

Surface Desired.png

Thank you very much in advance

Message 34 of 35
Jeff_M
in reply to: parteekwitt

Your installation should have some samples for you to use located here (for 2017, adjust for your version):

C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2017\C3D\Help\Civil Tutorials

8-1-2017 3-50-03 PM.png

EESignature
Message 35 of 35
parteekwitt

I don't have it in my installation files sir. 

That would be a big help if you could you please send me your files.

Kind Regards 

Parteek

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report