Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plotting with Viewport Filled

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
535 Views, 13 Replies

Plotting with Viewport Filled

I am curious what would cause my viewport to print as if it is filled with solid hatch?  I haven't changed any settings for the viewport and even recreated it from scratch.  In my print preview it shows it will print as it looks on the screen, however when it actually prints, it's filled in solid.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
tcorey
in reply to: Anonymous

Kris, can you give more details?

Plotting to what type of printer, or is it to PDF?

What version of AutoCAD Civil 3D?

Do you have all the latest service packs/updates for your version? There have in the past been issues that have been resolved with service packs.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous

Hi Tim.  Thank you for your response.

I am using Civil 3D 2013.  The viewports on my other layouts in the same drawing file print fine for me.  It's just this one sheet and that one viewport.  I even tried to recreate the viewport after deleting the first one thinking I may have inadvertently done something when I first created it.

I have tried to print to our Xerox 6204 Large Format Plotter (default plotter) and also to PDF and both options display a solid black filled viewport.  

I am up to date as far as I know.  I would think I might experience this on all viewports if it was an update error.  The drawing in the viewport is a simple line drawing with some hatch and no raster imagery.

Thank you again for your reply.  🙂

Message 4 of 14
AllenJessup

It sounds like a scale problem. Possibly PSLTScale set to 1 is causing a hatch to be too dense.If there is an error in the VP scale I've seen the Civil annotations become so huge that it looks like the VP is filled.

Is it possible to copy a VP from a layout that works to the layout you're having problems with and recenter it to the MS area for that layout?

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: AllenJessup

Hi Allen.  I just tried your suggestion of copying another viewport that is printing correctly and I also changed the PSLTscale to 0 with no luck on either.  This is highly frustrating.  My coworker did change the space and put in on my paperspace to be able to print it but I really don't want to use that work around.  I'd rather figure out what it causing this. I'm going to try a brand new blank layout and new viewport and see if that works next.

Message 6 of 14
AllenJessup

Hi, Kris. You've got something strange happening there. Just to cover all bases, I'd suggest doing an Audit or Recover. Don't know if that will help, but I tend to try that any time the software is behaving badly.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous

Hey Allen.  It has defnitely got me baffled.  I created the new layout and a brand new viewport and still get the same thing.  Then I opened a brand new drawing and put that particular detail in a new viewport on that sheet and it worked.  I guess I'll just have to keep my detail sheet by itself because obviously the way it's set up now had spoiled my changes of making it work in the same file with the other layouts.  

I'd still like to figure it out.  I attached the new layout and viewport view because this time, it's got little white spots showing where as the other was a solid black.  I would think that would be something to do with scale too but I've set all of that back to the default settings.

Message 8 of 14
AllenJessup

OK Kris, you may have given me a clue. Is your model space drawing in Meters or Feet and your detail in Millimeters or Inches? Drawing the detail in those units may cause the Civil or Annotation labels to become huge and fill the viewport. If that's the case. You've done the correct thing by moving the detail to a new drawing. Another option would be to draw the detail in paperspace where the units will be millimeters or inches.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous

Allen, this detail is a section of the site plan so it's drawn the same as the plan view which is drawn in feet.  Crazy, huh?  I think I've stumped you about as much as I've stumped myself.  Lol!

Message 10 of 14
AllenJessup

Yes. Has me stumped. Let us know if you find out what happened.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 11 of 14
Anonymous

I will for sure.  May be beneficial to someone else in the future.  Let me know if you have some ephiphany in the future too.  Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 14
Anonymous

Oh yeah, and thanks for all of your help and ideas. 🙂

Message 13 of 14
AllenJessup

No problem. If thought occurs will let you know.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 14 of 14
jbowenUSC

Kris,

I know this is an old thread. And you may have already found a solution, but this may offer a solution to future readers. Your viewport will display objects with transparency by defualt. However; Raster images with transparency and some hatches with transparency will print as solids by defualt. To enable transparency printing, you must click the butting with a right arrow in the bottom right hand of the plot window and check the box labeled "Plot trancparency" Hope that helps. Thanks. ~ Josh.

Plot.jpg

Plot Transparency.jpg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report