Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plotting issues with proper line weights from a DWG to a PDF

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Greg9900
11871 Views, 10 Replies

Plotting issues with proper line weights from a DWG to a PDF

Hello, I’m a student in a land surveying program using AutoCAD Civil 3D 2012. When I try to plot my DWG to a PDF my line weights are not plotting accordingly to the layers. For instance, Layer 1 is set at 0.7mm line weight, Layer 2 is set at 0.3mm but when it plots to PDF they all look similar. I have double checked the options on the plotting screen and I can get the line weights to plot correctly on different drawings with similar settings. I’m wondering if the issue has something to do with the fact that the particular lines that are not plotting accordingly are parcel segments. I’d appreciate any help!

Thanks

Greg

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: Greg9900

are you plotting with an stb file or ctb?

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Your Name

EESignature

Message 3 of 11
Greg9900

Hi Joe, the only option that I have on these computers at school is ctb.

Message 4 of 11
Joe-Bouza

Right, becausete school system is setup a color dependent line weight. the ctb file maps a screen color to apen weight. s any adjustment you make t line weights in the layer dialog are ignored.

You can view and edith the ctb file via the plot dialog so you know what colrs do what.

Your Name
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Your Name

EESignature

Message 5 of 11
Sinc
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

@Joe-Bouza wrote:

Right, becausete school system is setup a color dependent line weight. the ctb file maps a screen color to apen weight. s any adjustment you make t line weights in the layer dialog are ignored.

You can view and edith the ctb file via the plot dialog so you know what colrs do what.

Not necessarily true...  A CTB file can be setup so that various colors are setup to "Use object lineweight".

I strongly prefer STB files...  But as another tip, I'd never name layers "Layer 1", "Layer 2", etc.  I'd give them names that describe what's on them.  Makes it much easier for others to figure out what's going on in your drawing.  And we ALL have to share drawings with others, here in "the trenches".

Sinc
Message 6 of 11
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: Sinc

You got me there, but in 20years I hve never seen that option applied.

Your Name

Your Name

EESignature

Message 7 of 11
Greg9900

Hi guys, thank you for your replies and I'll check into the ctb issues that you raise but in my original post I stated:

"I have double checked the options on the plotting screen and I can get the line weights to plot correctly on different drawings with similar settings." 

So, those ctb setting should be the same in all my drawings when I plot because the school only gives me that one option. If it is a constant, then it would follow that I wouldn't be able to plot correct line wieghts on other drawings.

I looked into the properties for the lines that are not plotting with the correct line weights and they are parcel segments. I guess I'll refer back to my original position, does/could the issue have something to do with the fact that these lines are parcel segments? 

Thanks,

Greg9900

~Sinc, thanks for the tip about layer names, my layers are appropriately labeled but I wrote "For instance," as examples; instead of typing out the full label names of "!V-PLAT-COUNTY LINES"...as to not complicate the post with unecessary information. 🙂

Message 8 of 11
civil_tech3

I have incountered the same problem where when i print a dwg to pdf using a ctb file that all the line weights are different from my original dwg file or dont show up at all. I found that depending on the sheet size used and the zoom set to adobe that the lineweights come in differently. When i print the pdf i noticed that all lineweights print as they should according to autocad even though they appear different in adobe. I think it may have something to do with the picture resolution that adobe displays.

Try printing the pdf is my suggestion.

Good Luck!

Justin

Message 9 of 11
Sinc

~Sinc, thanks for the tip about layer names, my layers are appropriately labeled but I wrote "For instance," as examples; instead of typing out the full label names of "!V-PLAT-COUNTY LINES"...as to not complicate the post with unecessary information. 🙂

No problem... Sorry if I was off-base, but I've gotten TONS of drawings with terrible Layer names.  Especially from people who are used to Microstation "Levels"....   Glad Microstation finally started allowing "Level Names" several years back.

Still not a big fan of NCS-style layer names, either, but have started adopting them (at least to some consistency) just because it DOES make sharing drawings easier, in many respects.

Sinc
Message 10 of 11
EDL3d

I was getting the same trouble of nit getting the correct lineweights to print 

Solution:

Click on the viewport on paper space

Click on the Properties icon (properties) however your method 

On the General Menu 

Color                          By layer 

Plot Style                   By color

Line weight               By Layer  

On the Misc Menu 

Display locked       Yes

Annotation Scale  1:50 (same as your viewport scale)

Standard Scale     1:50 (same as your viewport scale)

See the attached picture for verification

Message 11 of 11
Ariu_yu

Create/Add a new page set up then choose import.  Grab the one that you already use (sucessfully) from your previous printing, this will overide your current session of autocad "page set up".  I f it did not work, create a fresh page set up from page set up manager.  Hope this helps.  GL!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report