Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PLEASE WHAT MIGHT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ALL THIS PROBLEM

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
bigexploit
430 Views, 12 Replies

PLEASE WHAT MIGHT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ALL THIS PROBLEM

Firstly i received a drawing from architect and that is the fiirst attached file. architectural drawing

Secondly if i insert and explode it the result i got is very confusing, i did not know why it display that way. what might be responsible? a. i attached the result and called it scale drawing.

Thirdly, the last attached file is my drawing, in this drawing i created a point IP and move the point to a new Northing and Easting(100.000,100.000). if you hover over the drawing at the point IP my coordinate will be 100,100 but when you check the same point it will give different coordinate.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Pointdump
in reply to: bigexploit

Big,

Don't know where you got the drawing, but this dialogue box came up when I tried to open your first attached file:

NoWay.png

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 3 of 13
wfberry

Obviously there is a mixture of feet and meters mixed here and there in this file(s).

I can tell you if you change "my drawing" to feet in Drawing Settings your point will change to 100,100.

Bill

Message 4 of 13
bigexploit
in reply to: Pointdump

@Pointdump it normally happen when you try open a drawing that was created with a higher version. just click continue 

Message 5 of 13
bigexploit
in reply to: Pointdump

@ pointdump it normally happen when you try open a drawing that was created with a higher version. just click continue 

Message 6 of 13
bigexploit
in reply to: wfberry

@wfberry if that is the case how do i convert the feet drawing to meter.if you check mthe second file i try to scale it but the result is oooosppp. everything went on their different direction

Message 7 of 13
wfberry

I do not know what your background involves.  Do you realize that there are .dwt templates that are to be used prior to beginning a drawing?  The .dwt is just a simple .dwg file that is configured to be either imperial feet or metric.  It is somewhat difficult after the drawing has been used to get all the parameters configured properly.

I would suggest that you begin with a new set of .dwt's and start over.  An architectural drawing is another matter but I would suggest that the propert .dwt file be used and insert the arch. file into it.

Bill

Message 8 of 13
Pointdump

Big,

Follow Bill's advice. He's steering you right.

"... a drawing that was created with a higher version."
Couldn't crack it with 2014. Message was too scary to continue. Bill is braver than I.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 9 of 13
bigexploit

Thanks very much bill. Ok this is the background.
The drawing you are seeing is building plan and as a surveyor I want to set out the beam,columns in fact every aspect of the building.

AI alway open my drawing in metric. Dwt. But the issue here is that if you look at the second file I uploaded (scale drawing),you will find out that after I inserted the drawing in my program with checking explode box. The linear measurement went so big that it has to cover the whole drawing.

The only thing I did was to start to delete it but there is no way I can see the width of beam,column or the distance btw each axises. Unless I have to again input the distance one after the other.

IS THERE ANY OTHER WAY WHEREBY IF I INSERT THE ARCHITECTURAL drw and check the explode box and still retain my delinear measurement.

Thanks Bill the third question has been answered. It was issue of units as u rightly said.
Thanks

Message 10 of 13

I have to say that the drawing achitectural drawing.dwg is interesting. The "Units" as set for autocad are centimetres, and the dimensions are all shown in millimetres. To add to that, the civil 3d settings have the drawing in inches.

If I start with a metric template which has the units set to metres (in the toolspace palette -> settings tab, right click on the drawing name and select "Edit Drawing Settings...", then set Drawing Units to "Meters" if it is not already - if you start from a metric template, this should already be the case. Then use the "units" command and set the Length to Decimal, Insertion scale to Meters), and insert the drawing "achitectural drawing.dwg" as a block using the "insert" command. This will show that the source drawings units are in centimetres and also show the scale factor to be used to scale the drawing to bring it to the current drawings units. It should read 0.01 for centimetres to metres, anything else and you target drawing is not in metres.

I would not set the block to explode initially, as it will allow you to position it as one entity rather than trying to manipulate thousands of entities.

With regard to the scale drawing, this is the mess that happens when dimension style for one set of units get applied to a drawing that has another set of units.

To fix this, select all the dimensions in the drawing, (I select a few different ones, then right click and choose "select similar", but I'll leave that to you) right click and choose properties. In the properties palette, set the Dimscale Overall to 0.01 (this reflects the units scaling applied when the block is inserted - i.e centremetres to metres -> 1 cm : 1 m give 1:100 = 0.01). The dimscale overall controls the appearance of the entire dimension entity, so the setting above will scale all the objects in the dimension by 0.01. The measurement shown will be in decimetres (10s of centimetres) due to the source drawing being in centimetres, with dimensions shown in millimetres, which will be fixed next. Now set the Dimscale Linear to 1000 to get the dimensions showing in millimeres again. You could set the value to 1 to get the dimensions shoiwing in metres, but then you need to set the Dim roundoff to 0.001 and the Precision to 0.001.

In regard to your drawing, but as pointed out by bill, it the point was put in using US survey feet, the location of you point would be 100,100, which lead me to figure it is your Point Label Style and Drawing Coordinate Units that are wrong.

To fix your Point Label Style, edit it in the toolspace (Toolspace palette => Settings tab = > expand the Point node = > expand the Label Styles node, select the label style joel, right click and chose Edit...). Now edit the contents of the text by clciking on the elipsis button at the right side of the Contents box. Select the Text for the northing ( <[Northing(Uft|P4|RN|AP|GC|UN|Sn|OF)]> ) in the text editing window, making sure the entire text for the nothing is highlighted blue. On the left, change the Unit from foot to meter and the Precision to 0.001 and click the Arrow next to the property drop down. This will update the text in the text window for the northing to read <[Northing(Um|P3|RN|AP|GC|UN|Sn|OF)]>. Do the same for the easting and then click OK and then OK. you should see the coordinates of your point label update immediatley to 100.000, 100.00.

To fix the Drawing Coordinate Units, go to the Toolspace palette => Settings tab and right click on the drawing name and choose Edit Drawing Settings...  On the Ambient Settings tab, you will need to expand the Coordinate item and change the Unit from Foot to Meter. There are other unit settings here that need fixing, being Distance, Dimension, Elevation, Area, Volume, Speed, Station and Acceleration.

Personally, I would delete that drawing and start with a fresh drawing based on a metric template and import your settings.

In regards to the achitectural drawing.dwg drawing, I would be asking the architect whether you should set out the dimensions or the grid lines? If you check, the dimensions on the left side of the drawing are not precisely on the grid lines they are dimensioning. The dimensions between grid lines C and H are the ones in question.

If a post provides a fix for your issue, click on "Accept as Solution" to help other users find solutions to problems they might have that are similar to yours.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit
Intel core i7 11800 @ 2.30 GHz with 32GB Ram
Civil 3d 2021
Message 11 of 13
wfberry
in reply to: andrewpuller3811

Andrew:

I am worn out reading all that.

Smiley Happy

Bill

Message 12 of 13
bigexploit
in reply to: wfberry

His explanation was fantastic. He exactly knew my challenge. Thank you so
much
Am grateful @ Andrew
But selecting the one entity did not work because the check box for
annotation has been permanent ly place to NO. So it is very difficult to
change it to the current scale of the drawing. But I have to explode it and
change it one after the other. At the end of the day I actually get what I
wanted.
But someone said I can code or vba on it and it will work automatically.
Dont really no if possible.
Thank you again? @ Bill and Andrew.
Message 13 of 13

@bigexploit wrote:

But selecting the one entity did not work because the check box for
annotation has been permanent ly place to NO. So it is very difficult to
change it to the current scale of the drawing.

I would not bother with the annotative property as this will make more work than the fix method I posted. If you do go with changing to annotative, you will need to modify all the annotation properties, arrow size, text size, line offsets, line extensions and on and on...

If a post provides a fix for your issue, click on "Accept as Solution" to help other users find solutions to problems they might have that are similar to yours.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit
Intel core i7 11800 @ 2.30 GHz with 32GB Ram
Civil 3d 2021

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report