Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please explain sharing data within a team

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
237 Views, 2 Replies

Please explain sharing data within a team

Hey Everybody; Would someone please explain the Procedure for sharing data, in a team setting? It's becoming apparent that some (maybe most) of us have heard that this is possible, but the methodology may not be quite so clear. At least its not to me. I've heard two conflicting views (Yes, you can - No, you can't), and since my first DWG file crashed and wouldn't recover, I've been wondering how this situation should be addressed by the typical User. -- Don Reichle Hacker Engineering, Inc. "King of Work-Arounds" LDT & CD 2004 C3D 2004 SP1 On HP Pavilion a367c 2.80 Ghz/512MB RAM XP PRO - SP2
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi all - This is the scoop 1. Civil 3D has a "project" environment that will allow you to check in/out point and surface data. This is the methodology that you should use if you want multiple people to interact with these data types simultaneously. The points are stored in an MDB file and the surface uses a separate DWG as it's database. If you "get" or "Check Out" a surface into a drawing and that source drawing crashes, the project surface isn't affected. There was a good Placeware session on Aug 6 that you can review for more details: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=3856538 2. The other data types (alignments, profiles, etc) are not yet covered in the Civil 3D "project." They are stored in the current drawing. We know that there are limitations to this structure and see this as an extremely high product requirement (just as high as the need for Pipes). 3. You can move objects from one drawing to another, but they are no longer connected to the original model. For example, if I copy an alignment from drawing A to drawing B, there is no connection between the two alignments. 4. You DO have solid drafting capabilities using the standard AutoCAD XREF functions. For example, you can XREF the alignment parcels from drawing A into drawing B. In the XREF destination drawing, you can rotate and scale the views and the labeling will sclae/orient itself. You can also control visibility and appearance by using LAYER-based styles vs. Object-based styles (ie, have the alignment on layer align with the color/visibility set "By Layer". Then you can turn layers ON/OFF or change color in the XREF destination dwg. The main point is that (with r2005), the intelligence of the objects doesn't come through in the XREF. You'll notice that none of the alignments, parcels, etc will show up in the prospector view in the destination XREF drawing (until you "bind" the objects). One thing that you may also want do is save your "project" out to LandXML so that you have a "backup" that you can restore. Hope this helps. Like I said, we've see this as a very high priority requirement. Thanks DAS "Don Reichle" wrote in message news:41891621$1_1@newsprd01... Hey Everybody; Would someone please explain the Procedure for sharing data, in a team setting? It's becoming apparent that some (maybe most) of us have heard that this is possible, but the methodology may not be quite so clear. At least its not to me. I've heard two conflicting views (Yes, you can - No, you can't), and since my first DWG file crashed and wouldn't recover, I've been wondering how this situation should be addressed by the typical User. -- Don Reichle Hacker Engineering, Inc. "King of Work-Arounds" LDT & CD 2004 C3D 2004 SP1 On HP Pavilion a367c 2.80 Ghz/512MB RAM XP PRO - SP2
Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Hey Dave; Thanks for the quick response, Oh Great Kahoona. :-) I can imagine that some folks will use this as a reason to wait on the "finished" product, but I'll wager that the programmers are getting close to the sleep deprivation edge as it is. I suppose I can build a button to create a LandXML file on every exit. A tad time consuming, LandXML being what it is, but I would rather have "insurance" than not! -- Don Reichle Hacker Engineering, Inc. "King of Work-Arounds" LDT & CD 2004 C3D 2004 SP1 On HP Pavilion a367c 2.80 Ghz/512MB RAM XP PRO - SP2 "Dave Simeone" wrote in message news:41892637_2@newsprd01... Hi all - This is the scoop 1. Civil 3D has a "project" environment that will allow you to check in/out point and surface data. This is the methodology that you should use if you want multiple people to interact with these data types simultaneously. The points are stored in an MDB file and the surface uses a separate DWG as it's database. If you "get" or "Check Out" a surface into a drawing and that source drawing crashes, the project surface isn't affected. There was a good Placeware session on Aug 6 that you can review for more details: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=3856538 2. The other data types (alignments, profiles, etc) are not yet covered in the Civil 3D "project." They are stored in the current drawing. We know that there are limitations to this structure and see this as an extremely high product requirement (just as high as the need for Pipes). 3. You can move objects from one drawing to another, but they are no longer connected to the original model. For example, if I copy an alignment from drawing A to drawing B, there is no connection between the two alignments. 4. You DO have solid drafting capabilities using the standard AutoCAD XREF functions. For example, you can XREF the alignment parcels from drawing A into drawing B. In the XREF destination drawing, you can rotate and scale the views and the labeling will sclae/orient itself. You can also control visibility and appearance by using LAYER-based styles vs. Object-based styles (ie, have the alignment on layer align with the color/visibility set "By Layer". Then you can turn layers ON/OFF or change color in the XREF destination dwg. The main point is that (with r2005), the intelligence of the objects doesn't come through in the XREF. You'll notice that none of the alignments, parcels, etc will show up in the prospector view in the destination XREF drawing (until you "bind" the objects). One thing that you may also want do is save your "project" out to LandXML so that you have a "backup" that you can restore. Hope this helps. Like I said, we've see this as a very high priority requirement. Thanks DAS "Don Reichle" wrote in message news:41891621$1_1@newsprd01... Hey Everybody; Would someone please explain the Procedure for sharing data, in a team setting? It's becoming apparent that some (maybe most) of us have heard that this is possible, but the methodology may not be quite so clear. At least its not to me. I've heard two conflicting views (Yes, you can - No, you can't), and since my first DWG file crashed and wouldn't recover, I've been wondering how this situation should be addressed by the typical User. -- Don Reichle Hacker Engineering, Inc. "King of Work-Arounds" LDT & CD 2004 C3D 2004 SP1 On HP Pavilion a367c 2.80 Ghz/512MB RAM XP PRO - SP2

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report