Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plan View pipe break

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
547 Views, 9 Replies

Plan View pipe break

Having an issue displaying pipes correctly when put into a plan view for construction documents.  The plan view does not "break" pipes that are below other pipes.  Appears to work fine for double line pipe (pipe displayed with outer walls on and centerline off, but only if 3D solid is visible), however if we are using single line pipe (pipe centerline only displayed) the pipes all appear to connect to each other (ie no break for pipes running under other pipes).  See attached.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
troma
in reply to: Anonymous

Is the attached the way it's meant to look, or the way it does look? I've never seen pipes broken in this manner.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: troma

The way it is supposed to look. Any pipes that are "below" or at a lower elevation are broken to show which pipe is on top.

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Message 4 of 10
troma

You could try turning on the pipe hatch in plan view and setting it to a colour that will plot out white and hide the other pipe.

Mark Green

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous

That works for our double line pipe just fine (we use double line or outside walls turned on for pipes 18”+ and only pipe centerline/single line pipe for all less than 18”).  We have tried turning on pipe hatch but when just showing centerline it doesn’t break anything.

Message 6 of 10
troma

Turn on the double line and put in on the same no-plot colour too.

Mark Green

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: troma

I have tried that as well. As soon as it goes to no plot, it doesn't work.

99 Main Street | Topsham, ME 04086
Office 207.725.8721 | Direct 207.798.3769
P Please consider the environment before printing this email.

[Description: WP-logo-for-email][Description: FB-email-2][Description: LI-email-2][Description: Twitter-email-2][Description: Blog-email-2][Description: Flickr-email-2]
Message 8 of 10
doni49

@Anonymous wrote:
I have tried that as well. As soon as it goes to no plot, it doesn't work.

EDIT:  this stupid web site posted my reply WITHOUT the message that I typed -- just the quote and signature.  Oh well, try again.

By "Goes to no plot", do you mean you changed the color or assigned the line's layer to No-Plot?  He was referring to changing the line's color to something that will cause your STB/CTB file to plot it using an RGB value of 0,0,0.  Also dont' forget to make sure the "overriding" line is on top of the others (Right Click on it>Display Order>Bring to Front).

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 9 of 10
Willy_Campbell
in reply to: doni49

If those fail, you can always use a wipeout window to mask the pipe areas. But again, you would need to make sure it was above and below the appropriate pipes.

This only works for the double line pipe because the 3D solid is covering [hiding] the pipe below. Since the single-line centerline pipes do no have this option, there is no break or hide.

Anothe option is to to add text to your pipes so it is obvious what is what, and where it goes: 8"W along the waterline, etc.

Willy Campbell
Message 10 of 10
troma
in reply to: Willy_Campbell

Better than a wipeout would be a mask block.

Draw a closed polyline around the area. Then use the command CONVERTLINEWORKTOMASKBLOCK
You will be able to select which object you want to mask. Display order and linetypes don't matter, the mask block handles it all. And you can freeze the layer it's on, it will still mask the pipe.

Mark Green

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report