Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plan production sheets

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
379 Views, 7 Replies

Plan production sheets

I can't seem to get a comfortable work flow for
this tool. I guess the first stumbling block I run into, and correct me if I'm
wrong, the tool wants the design to be finished before the sheets are
generated. In so much as DS for surfaces, alignments, pipe networks, yada yada.I
will be doing a rehab for 19 interconnected streets and only have a aerial to
begin with. Will I be rowing up hill later if I make place holder
alignments to create views and sheets, and deal with DS as the design
evolves?

--
Thanks,
Joe

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)
Civil 3D 2008
Win XP
pro
v 2002, sp 2
hp workstation xw4600
Intel Core Duo CPU
E7200
@2.53 GHz
3 GB RAM
NIVDIA Quadro FX 1700
(512MB)
==============================
"All Contours are Lies! "-(
AJ)
===========================
The mantra of a former Flamer:
If you
are forced to eat an Elephant, don’t complain about it; Take one bite at a
time.
*****************************************************************************************
In
memory of the King of Work-arounds
"The only Constant is Change".

"The only thing worse than training your staff, and having them leave is
-
not training your staff, and having them stay." 😮
A reminder taken
from Graphics Solution Providers' Calendar
page
*****************************************************************************************
"An
Equal Opportunity Annoyer" (DK)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

In my opinion, you would be much better served to generate any sheets that require plan and production tools after your design is close to finished. Once the sheets are generated, any subsequent C3D objects that you create will have to be referenced into your mulititude of sheets one at a time. The plan and production tools will do all of that work for you automatically if you remain patient until design nears completion. Edited by: castled071049 on Mar 9, 2010 10:39 PM
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous

Joe,

I agree with Castled. The idea of using placeholder alignments to create sheets doesn't work very well because your matchlines are based on that alignment...there is no way I know of to switch the views to a different alignment once the sheets have been created.

Best to wait till near the end of design to create the production sheets...it doesn't take long to create the sheets using plan production tools. If you can't wait that long to get an idea of what your sheets are going to look like or you need to create some sheets to have something to look at with the client or other co-workers during the design process, I typically go ahead and create some quick sheets based on whatever design work I have done at the time...often I'll delete those sheets after I am done with them.
--Matt
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous

Gentlemen, this is my point; waiting until the end to make a sheet seems
odd, to me. How do you all handle 5% internal review (our shop want to see a
border, view of at minimum an aerial, north arrow.... ) or preliminary
submission to an agency or private client if you have not seen an actual
sheet until the end.

I'm not going to say that I am an old seasoned veteran at plan production,
but I have been doing it for a while; creating a sheet layout of the basic
plan view has always been step number 1. (from my point of view at least.)

I'm not that worried about place holder alignments; I will modify these as
design progresses and my match lines only refer to the adjacent sheet
numbers - they will update with Sheet set Manager, right?

I see you make temporary sheets for review. I guess I need to look at this
from a different lens.

Joe
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

When I say wait until the "end", I mean simply wait until your design is complete enough to have all the C3D data at least roughed in. For example, your roadways should have alignments and EG/FG profiles at least before committing to plan-production sheet generation. Ideally, too, you would have any pipe networks that would show in the roadway plan & profile sheets laid out, as well. This way, when you generate sheets, all of the roadway profiles can be carved out for the sheets, all of the pipe networks that you want shown can be automatically included, etc. If you have that much done at 5%, then by all means you can generate sheets. Any changes to roads, pipes, etc. would update with synchronization. The point is, if you commit before the C3D objects are there, then you will have to add/reference them in each sheet one at a time later on. For a large project, that might be a deal killer.
In our world, the earliest we might ever present is at 30%, and almost always not until 60%. Even then, we try to be closer to 90% when we do, just to be ahead of schedule.
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

Thanks Castled, I'll give that a try. My problem is
my manager want to see sheets NOW!

Joe
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

Joe,

elements that you want to carry forward into plan production sheets can be set up in your base drawing before running plan production tools.

Our template file which we start with already has a storm and a sanitary pipe network set up and ready to go. a network doesn't need a single pipe or structure to existing in a drawing.

When one starts a alignment, a existing surface can be created with no data i it as a placeholder for when you get the field topo.
A proposed profile by layout can be started as a placeholder for design data later down the road.

Think ahead and be ready for success to follow.

Dan
Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

I like that and will attempt
it

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report