Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plan Production - Matchline Stations in Title Block?

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
jmayo-EE
965 Views, 18 Replies

Plan Production - Matchline Stations in Title Block?

Is it possible to get matchline stations into a title block text string?

John Mayo

EESignature

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
doni49
in reply to: jmayo-EE

John,

I think it SHOULD BE possible to do so via an add-in (VBA?) but until I get acad installed at home, I have no access to the API so I can't confirm or deny that.

You might want to ask this over in the C3D customization forum.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 3 of 19
jmayo-EE
in reply to: doni49

So I'm SOOL OOTB.....

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 4 of 19
Cadguru42

@doni49 wrote:

John,

I think it SHOULD BE possible to do so via an add-in (VBA?) but until I get acad installed at home, I have no access to the API so I can't confirm or deny that.

You might want to ask this over in the C3D customization forum.

Yet another reason Civil 3D isn't a real BIM.

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 5 of 19
doni49

I can't say that it's NOT possible OOTB as I've only used the P&P tools a few times.  But from what I've seen, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for someone to show me how.

Don Ireland

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 6 of 19
MarySeufert

I have used Sheet Set custom properties and fields to accomplish this.

EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Message 7 of 19
jmayo-EE

Well I'll keep bumping this. I have only turned a pale blue at this point I think I can hold my breath for a darker shade or two. 😉

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 8 of 19
Jeff_M

I do this using Plan Production to name the Layout based on the stations, then have the attributes in the title block use the sheet/layout name obtained from the SheetSet.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 9 of 19
Cadguru42
in reply to: MarySeufert

@MarySeufert wrote:

That's what I do. But it's pretty sad that something that's supposed to be a BIM and creates automatic match lines cannot let a MTEXT field read the match line station for sheet titles. 

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 10 of 19
doni49

@jmayo wrote:

Well I'll keep bumping this. I have only turned a pale blue at this point I think I can hold my breath for a darker shade or two. 😉

too funnytoo funny!  🙂

Don Ireland

Message 11 of 19
doni49
in reply to: Jeff_M

@Jeff_M wrote:

I do this using Plan Production to name the Layout based on the stations, then have the attributes in the title block use the sheet/layout name obtained from the SheetSet.

Wow.  I guess you can breath now John!  🙂  Thanks Jeff -- I learned something new today.

Don Ireland

Message 12 of 19
doni49
in reply to: Cadguru42

@engrtech wrote:

@MarySeufert wrote:

That's what I do. But it's pretty sad that something that's supposed to be a BIM and creates automatic match lines cannot let a MTEXT field read the match line station for sheet titles. 

Even bigger is the fact that the P&P tools create the sheets including adding them to SSM.  The tool could easily add a "station range" property to each one of these sheets.

Don Ireland

Message 13 of 19
jmayo-EE

Thank you all. Sorry Mary Jeff gets the solution because the detail he provided allows me to get going.

Breathing better now. 🙂

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 14 of 19
doni49

@Jeff_M wrote:

Jeff,

I have one question about this method.  What happens when the matchline is moved?  For this method to work, do you have to rename the layout?  If so, is that any better than updating the SSM property?

Don Ireland

Message 15 of 19
jmayo-EE

Good question..

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 16 of 19
MarySeufert

Hehe, I'm too much of a control freek to use plan production anyways! Smiley Surprised

EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Message 17 of 19
jmayo-EE
in reply to: MarySeufert

Too funny. In my old job sheet sets were typically less than 10 sheets. Most of them 2 or 3 and I did not see much time savings with the P&P tools. Now I have 40-60 sheets... I need to learn these now. 😮

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 18 of 19
Jeff_M

@doni49 wrote:

Jeff,

I have one question about this method.  What happens when the matchline is moved?  For this method to work, do you have to rename the layout?  If so, is that any better than updating the SSM property?

This is where this method is lacking. The Viewframes, matchlines, sheet names, etc. are tied together in a very strange, uneditable, way. So moving matchlines after sheet creation is really not a very good idea....matchlines often lose their stationing, SSM cannot find the correct sheet, etc. So, in the case where I MUST move a matchline, I will usually recreate the sheet.

Now, if Autodesk would allow us to make edits to paths, dwg names, (or automatically do this when moving them) it would make this process easier. But their view on this is that we never need to change the locations of match lines, so it's a "one and done" approach.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 19 of 19
doni49

So I guess that in John's case of 40-60 sheets, this could be useful for the initial sheet setup but if the matchlines need to be moved..........

Don Ireland

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report