Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Piping shallow utilities

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
dvikse
160 Views, 4 Replies

Piping shallow utilities

Can pipes follow a surface for gas/telephone/conduit? Or are they only for gravity-flow?

Dallas E. Vikse, C.E.T.
C3D 2k7 SP3
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
kcobabe
in reply to: dvikse

you can make them do whatever you want them to do. So yes you can create a pipe that follows the contours of the grade. In order to do this you will either have reapply a rule set to each individual piece or put them in a profile and move the pipe around in that.

I know several people that would tell you to use a structure rather than a null structure, but to make inserting then trimming to a block for bends, devices, etc. easier I would use a null. The reason why is because a null structure uses a different insertion then the rest of the structures making it easier to insert a block where you want it rather than figuring offset from a sump or rim.

R10 - 2020 ACAD
2008 - 2020 Civil 3D
2014 - 2020 Plant 3D
2014 - 2020 Revit
V8i - V8i SS4 Microstation
Infraworks
2018-2020 Inventor
2020 Navisworks
Message 3 of 5
dvikse

Ya - i figured so.
I tried the "hidden structure" method (not null). and my water pipes came in with gravity slopes and drops at every "structure". By the end of the 2 km alignment, my water pipes were about 25m below surface. It took an hour to 'adjust' the inverts up to wheree I wanted them. Argh !!!

Will the null structure method alleviate my headaches?
How do you assign a rule-set so the pipes follow the surface?

Thank you for your time - i really appreciate it.
dv out.
Message 4 of 5
acoursen

I use null structures for my water main and when I run my rule set it only adjusts one end of the pipe to the required depth but places the pipe at 0 slope. Haven't figured a better way yet. Grip edit one end to match the next pipe. Not too bad if you don't have a long run.

Andy
Andrew Coursen PE & LS
Message 5 of 5
kcobabe

The null structure won't help you when adjusting vertically.

About the best way I have found to create water and gas lines it create my vertical profile then my horizontal for the line. I then create a network from object. After that I just grip edit the lines to the vertical profile.

Right now I have been trying to build a program that will create a waterline from a profile and an alignment. Alot of the parts in C3D are new to me so it's taking some time.

R10 - 2020 ACAD
2008 - 2020 Civil 3D
2014 - 2020 Plant 3D
2014 - 2020 Revit
V8i - V8i SS4 Microstation
Infraworks
2018-2020 Inventor
2020 Navisworks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report