Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pipe Structures on Non-plotting layer still plot

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
ssomers
1609 Views, 16 Replies

Pipe Structures on Non-plotting layer still plot

When I'm drawing in pipe networks I like to use a user created block for structures. I do this by manually inserting the block I need (DI, MH, etc.) at each structure location. Since there are different blocks for different structures, having the structure itself display as a user block via the structure style isn't really an option since it will display the same block for all structures unless you make a style for each type of structure. So I like to have my structures set to display on a non-plotting layer via the style display layers. This way I can still select and modify its properties, but it won't show up on a plot.

My question is: If the style display layer is a non-plotting layer, why is the "object layer" (0 layer in the case) overwriting the display layer and causing the structrure outline to plot?

If I put the display layers of the pipes onto a non-plotting layer, they will not plot even if the object layer is a plotting layer. So it's just the structures, and I cannot figure out why it's doing this.

The workaround so far is to select all the structures and set their object layer to a non-plotting layer, but this is not ideal.

Any insights would be very helpful.

- Shawn
-------------------------------------
Running Civil 3D on Windows 10 Pro
Custom PC with: Intel i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60 GHz (8 core); NVIDIA Quadro P1000; 64GB RAM
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
TCARCAMO78
in reply to: ssomers

i would make sure that the objects within the blocks are set to defpoints layer. In addition i would build the parts for the manholes and so on. You could also use a null strucutre.

Tony

CAD Manager

www.tonyscivil3dworld.blogspot.com

Tony Carcamo
CAD Manager
Message 3 of 17
ssomers
in reply to: TCARCAMO78

The sturctures work quite nicely for profiles, so I need them to plot in the profile view, but we use simple representative blocks for plan view for our construction documents. Thus the reason it would be nice if I can just have one style that has the plan view display layers on a non-plotting layer and the profile display layers on plotting layers.

Null structures wouldn't work for profile views and also wouldn't work for the drainage design portion of the project.

As far as defpoints; I don't understand. I want my custom blocks to plot, just not the structure outline - basically, my idea was to have the structure display layers on a non-plotting layer and then place my block right on top of the structure.

An example why this isn't working: for a 48" manhole, I have a block that represents roughly the lid diameter (24"), but because the structure itself is 48" wide there is a 4' diameter circle plotting outside my 2' diameter block. No Bueno!

- Shawn
Custom PC with: Intel i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60 GHz (8 core); NVIDIA Quadro P1000; 64GB RAM
Message 4 of 17
TCARCAMO78

In your structure style/ Display tab  is the 3D Solid layer set to off in plan view? Second, is your block in the Plan tab set to fix scale and Enable part masking?

Tony 

CAD Manager

Tony Carcamo
CAD Manager
Message 5 of 17
ssomers
in reply to: TCARCAMO78

In the display tab, the only component that's on is the "Structure" component. The hatch and 3D Solid components are turned off. I like havining the structure on so I can easily modify the part by right-clicking in the plan view.

As for the block, I am not using a user defined part. The "Use outer part boundary" box is checked. Again, I've been simply placing my block over the top of the structure in plan view. It's nice to see the outline of the structure to make sure there are no utility conflicts, but I don't want it to plot. I can see another possible workaround being setting the plan tab to "User defined part" and using a block on defpoints, but again this isn't ideal.

- Shawn
Message 6 of 17
SethHall

I have a few questions:

What version are you using?

How are you plotting; PUBLISH, PLOT, etc?

Do you get diiferent results if you plot to DWF, PDF, or paper?

Seth Hall
Product Owner
Model Builder
Message 7 of 17
ssomers

I'm using C3D 2012 with SP1.

It makes no difference how I plot. Structures show up on PDF, paper, publish, etc... The structures show up in the plot preview, so they carry through to whatever method I use to plot.

- Shawn
Message 8 of 17
SethHall

Is it just this one drawing? Can you set a new no-plot object layer for the structures and get it to work?

Seth Hall
Product Owner
Model Builder
Message 9 of 17
ssomers
in reply to: SethHall

Even if I start a brand new drawing and set the the 'Structure' layer to a non-plotting layer in the display tab of the structure style, it will still plot if the object layer is a plotting layer when I look at the properties dialogue box.

I have saved a sample drawing and you can find it attached. Do a plot preview and it will plot pipes and structures, when I only want to see pipes.

- Shawn
Message 10 of 17
wfberry

In your sample drawing you will notice that all three items are on "0" layer.  Change the two structures to Layer1 and they will not plot.

Bill

Message 11 of 17
ssomers
in reply to: wfberry

I don't mean to sound disrespectful, so please don't take it that way. I realize that all the objects are on the 0 layer and I know that if I change them to Layer 1 they won't plot, and that's what I've been doing to get them to not plot, but this is simply a workaround. What I don't understand is why the 0 layer overrides the layer that the style has them displayed on, which is Layer 1. This does not happen with pipes. If you go into "pipe style" and switch the display layer of the pipe to Layer 1, the pipe will not plot. For some reason, structures act differently when plotted than pipes. Ideally, since the display layer of the structure is Layer 1 (as seen in the 'display' tab of the "structure style" dialogue box), it shouldn't plot. This option is best for our firm's purposes, but currently I can't get it to work like that.

- Shawn
Message 12 of 17
mcastelli

Turn the Structure and Structure Hatch components off, then turn on 3D Solid and set it to a no plot layer.  This will allow you to see, select, and label the structure without it plotting.

2012-04-12_1559.png

Message 13 of 17
ssomers
in reply to: mcastelli

You know what... That might just work. I never tried that. Smiley Happy

- Shawn
Message 14 of 17
emelendez

So if I understand this thread correctly you the following is an outline of what you are trying to accomplish:

A. use civil 3D DYNAMIC pipes and structures.

B. use NON-DYNAMIC symbols that are MANUALLY placed for your structures

C. avoid having to create a structure style for each type of structure you use

D. get the civil 3D Structures to not plot while getting the MANUALLY placed blocks to plot.

Is that correct? If so, please see the the CAD file you posted that I revised.

I was able to get ALL of the above issues addressed. The steps I took are as such:

1. create a block called "_no display strc" that has all it's linework on defpoints layer

2. set the plan view display of the structure style to use a USER DEFINED block (see step 1)

3. manually placed a block over the civil 3D created structure.

Please take note that the actual civil 3D structure IS on layer "0" but since the linework of the block used for the civil 3D style is on defpoints, it will NEVER plot. As for the "overlap" of the pipe under the structure, this can be handled by adding a mask to the definition of the manually placed blocks. If you do this, it will mask the civil 3D block under it also. That is why I did not do it in the file.

My reccommendation to you if I may. Take the time to create ALL the styles you need for all the types of structures you use. Then all you need to do to get them to display differently is change what style the structure is using. Remember, just because you create a structure style, doesn't mean you have to add it to the parts list. you can use one generic part for all your structures then change the style each one uses. This method will save you the time of having to go back and MANUALLY place all your structures.

Edwin Melendez
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013 Certified Professional
Certification No. 00319327
Message 15 of 17
ssomers

That seems like a good idea too. That might even save time in the long run, and it will definitely make dragged state labeling look better in plan view. We'll probably try that out.

Thanks!

- Shawn
Message 16 of 17
kevin
in reply to: wfberry

I'm a little late but am having the same issue. In the sample drawing, if you change the display layer for the pipe in the style dialog to layer1, the same no plot layer the structures are on, the pipe will not plot. The question is what causes the strusture style display layer to be overwritten by the object layer but the pipes do not act the same way? This is the only instance I have found where the style display properties don't overwrite the object properties. The workaround is to move put the structure on the no plot layer but that doesn't solve the problem

Message 17 of 17
jmayo-EE

" I do this by manually inserting the block I need (DI, MH, etc.) at each structure location. Since there are different blocks for different structures, having the structure itself display as a user block via the structure style isn't really an option since it will display the same block for all structures unless you make a style for each type of structure. So I like to have my structures set to display on a non-plotting layer via the style display layers. This way I can still select and modify its properties, but it won't show up on a plot."

You would save a lot of time setting up a good part list which is not a difficult or time consuming task.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-civil-3d/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2016/...

John Mayo

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report