Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pipe Structure Labels - C3D 2008

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
peter_thomson
415 Views, 7 Replies

Pipe Structure Labels - C3D 2008

Hi All,
Pardon my ignorance here...

I have attached an image clipped from C3D 2008 of a Pipe STRUCTURE Plan label in both as composed and dragged states. (The dragged state has the box and leader).

Tthe order of label components is shown in the Component Draw Order dialogue. This is displayed in the normal display of the label (shown as the green list on the RHS)

Why does the stacked text in the dragged state scramble the order? Is there a fix for this?

is there a fix for these for C3D2008 that I can use until we upgrade to 2010 when it is ready. (we are on subscription).

Many thanks in anticipation, Peter T.
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: peter_thomson

I do not know if there is a fix for this, but I know that the staked order of the dragged state comes from the component name order on the layout tab. In other words it use the order in which is created. To keep the order that you want change the Dragged State from “Stacked Text” to “As Composed”, or redo the label creating the components in the order that you want them to be. I hope this help your problem.
Message 3 of 8

Thanks for your response.

I am trying to determine whether I have an error in my template of whether this is a program fault.

cheers,
Peter
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous

In your Dragged State there is a Display Option -> Stacked Text or As
Composed.

Did you try changing that?

Bill

wrote in message
news:6240069@discussion.autodesk.com...
Thanks for your response.

I am trying to determine whether I have an error in my template of whether
this is a program fault.

cheers,
Peter
Message 5 of 8

Yes, I understand that bit Bill, thanks.

I have beavered away yesterday afternoon and this morning and found a few things.

1. I made a new label where I placed ALL the text compnents in one component (if you get my drift). So, now when I drag it, they stay in the same order.

2. I then added 2 "text for each" components (inflow pipes and outflow pipes) and hooked them one by one to the bottom of the text label and then to the Inflow pipes component.

3. So I can drag the label as stacked text now and it doesn't scramble...so I guess the first chap who responded to this thread is correct. Create the compnents in the order that you want them in your label.

This begs the question though. (my original question)
If there is a button to change the order of components, why does the dragged state NOT respect this?
Perhaps this has been fixed in later versions.

Two further points I would like to make regarding labels in dragged state.
Would it not be better if the leaders worked (dynamically) just like the settings in the Qleader command in AutoCAD....where you can set the leader attachment point to the middle of top line when the label is to the right of the anchor point but allow the leader to dynamically re-attach to the middle of the bottom line when the label is (dragged) to the left of the anchor point. I would have thought that this is what all good draughtsmen would want.
Taking a leader line from the middle of a block of text is only good when the text has a box around it (in my view).

Why on earth do folk accept right justification of stacked labels as OK?
When I learned written English, there was not ONE time that I was taught to right justify my text.
This is useful in spreadsheets or for lining up numbers, but I cannot grasp why anyone would want right justified English text on their drawings.
(call me an old fart if you must, but I think it is important)
oh, and I found the leader Justification setting which I have now made false. Thanks for that AutoDESK!
End of today's rant...

Otherwise, happy for the moment...

cheers,
Peter Edited by: peter.a.thomson@mwhglobal.com on Aug 20, 2009 11:43 AM
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

Our experience (v.2009) is that the reordering of lines in a dragged state structure label only occurs when you use a "text for each" component. We have not witnessed this problem anywhere else. Not sure if this is fixed in 2010, just be careful when constructing structure labels using the text for each component.
Message 7 of 8

AAhh, so the "text for each" might be the culprit.

All good information.

Many thanks for your response.

I hope someone from AutoDESK is watching this...and fixes it.

Peter
Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

I shear your frustration with the justification settings, but my work around is a “child” label that I use for the text on the left side of the leader, so I have one label with leader attached to the middle of the top line and the “child” with the leader attached to the middle of the bottom line (see iamge) and the justification on both is set to off. I know that is an extra step, but for now it works for me until they fix it. Also I will like to mention that the component draw order is not to set the “list” order but to set what is sent to the front and to the back, as the draw order command.

Have a blessed day

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report