Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pipe Rules Not Followed Exactly

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
taneum
346 Views, 4 Replies

Pipe Rules Not Followed Exactly

I created a pipe rule and applied it to my 6" HDPE pipe in my parts list.  The rule is followed close but not exact.  Here it is:

I created a "cover only" rule for my 6" HDPE pipe.  I have the maximum and minimum cover set to 3.50'.  I have it the same so it will draw my pipe 3.50' deep.  I don't want it to vary.  It for drawing in existing underground power so when we cut profiles and sections the existing power shows up.  We want it to show up 3.50' deep.  I created a label style for my pipe that tells me start cover and end cover of the pipe so I can see it right there on the screen.  The numbers range from 3.50' deep to 4.70' deep.  

Why does the pipe not get drawn in exactly 3.50' deep?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Jay_B
in reply to: taneum

Is this a Gravity or Pressure network? What version?

Try creating a feature line or 3dpoly along the pipe route and assign elevations by surface, then use raise / lower command to lower the object 3.50'. Then create the Pipe Network from object and use assign elevation to use top of pipe as reference point. This works well with gravity networks, the downside is you can end up with numerous vertices (null structures) if extra vertices aren't weeded first.

I Haven't used Pressure Networks much yet but from the help it looks like vertex elevations can be used when Creating Pressure Network by object or a depth of cover from referenced surface can be specified.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 3 of 5
taneum

Hey Jay.  That is how I used to create them.  The only downfall to that is every line I draw becomes it's own pipe network as I cannot select multiple lines.  So, an underground power line on one side of the street is a network, then an underground power line on the other side of the street is a network and so on.  We are reconstructing utilities on an urban DOT road through tow for about  amile and half and I have about 30 pipe networks for all my underground utilities doing it the way you described.

That is why I tried the other way with pipe rules but they do not go to the correct depths.  They only get close.  In hind sight this is probably alright as we are really just guessing how deep they are anyways, however, if you tell it 3.50 feet deep for min. and max. why does it not follow that?

Michael

P.S. Sorry, these are gravity networks I am creating in order to do this.

Message 4 of 5
Jay_B

@taneum wrote:

The only downfall to that is every line I draw becomes it's own pipe network as I cannot select multiple lines.  So, an underground power line on one side of the street is a network, then an underground power line on the other side of the street is a network and so on.  We are reconstructing utilities on an urban DOT road through tow for about  amile and half and I have about 30 pipe networks for all my underground utilities doing it the way you described.

Without seeing the overall layout have you considered trying the "Merge Networks" command?

I'm guessing the Cover Only rule wasn't designed for a specific offset and was intended to have a variable since there are Min. / Max. cover parameters in the rule.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 5 of 5
taneum
in reply to: Jay_B

Yeah I could look at that.  I'll try it out and post back what I find out.  I have it open right now.

Yeah there is a minimum and maximum value that you enter for the pipe rules.  I am also going to try not setting those both to 3.50'.  I am going to set the minimum to 3.50' and the maximum to 3.60'

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report