Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pipe rule set

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
909 Views, 5 Replies

Pipe rule set

Inspecting a bit pipe rule set background. I don't know if I well understand, but seems that pipe rules are defined for certain pipe or structure catalog. So, that means, that one pipe or structure can have only one rule.

Ok, some parameters are really pipe or structure dependent (i.e. minimum cover, but not always), but for example min or max slope is, according to my understanding, function of velocity (minimum or maximum) which of course dependent of diameter (pipe) and flow in the pipe. So in one pipe can be for example 50 l/s or 100 l/s, and for the same diameter min or max slope will be totally different.

If we analyze minimum cover, depending on terrain conditions, could be different. For example if one pipe is passing one soil type mimimum cover is one value, and in the other soil, minimum cover can be totally different.

I did not find possibility to apply different rules for the same pipes in the drawing. Maybe I missed something? Any other experiences or suggestions?

Drazen

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
BrianHailey
in reply to: Anonymous

You are correct, there can only be one rule applied to a pipe. Pipe rules are not design tools, they let you know if a specific rule is violated. Typically, most engineers will take their pipes into a different program (such as Hydraflow Storm Sewers, Autodesk Storm and Sanitary Analysis, Storm CAD, or something along those lines) and do the design there.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: BrianHailey

From my point of view one basic issue is missing. Ok, if it is necessary to define pipe rule set on the level of catalogue item, it can be treated as default rule.

But then the issue which is missing is possibility to apply any other rule, which is defined with different values to some selected pipes or structures (not all of them)

Drazen

Message 4 of 6
BrianHailey

You should be able to go into the pipe or structure properties and change the rules per part (at least I think you can, don't have c3d on this computer to double check).

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: BrianHailey

Thanks. You are right. Somehow I missed that.

Drazen

Message 6 of 6
AAristi

I just did it, but I don't know if it's the correct way of doing it.

I first laid out the whole network using the default rules.  Then, when I wanted certain pipes to follow different rules, I changed the rules within the Pipe Network's Parts List (you can "EDIT" the parts list you're using and then you can select what "RULE" each part follows).

Once I was satisfied with the changes, I went and used "SWAP PART" on each of the pipes I needed to use the different rules.  Once those were changed, I ran "APPLYRULES" again and it followed the newly chosen rules.  It did not affect the parts that were using the original rules.

Hope this helps.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report